Shimano bailarm gap to rotor

Started by Eldops, December 10, 2014, 12:52:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eldops

I want to ask, when i see at my stella 2013 there's a little gap between rotor and bailarm, is that normal or just my stella?, the gap makes the bailarm a little bit shaky, is that normal?, sorry for my bad english, hope u understand

Tiddlerbasher

Can you take a couple of photos to show the 'problem'?

Eldops

I think its not the problem because its not (yet) make any trouble when fishing, i just need to make sure, because the seller told me all shimano stella 2013 bailarm has that gap, i just want someone who use same stella 2013 tell me if their reels have the same gap like me or just me

foakes

Hi eldops --

Please post some pictures so everyone will understand accurately your issue.

We are here to help you -- but it is more transparent, and educational for others -- past, present, and future -- if photos are included.

This helps not just you -- but everyone.

Thanks,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Wolli

there is no gab between Bail Arm and Rotor.
Never seen in several reels up to 30000 i had for sevice.

love jigging    www.jupiter-sunrise-lodge.com/de/
Authorized Jigging Master Service Partner (in Germany)

Tightlines667

Quote from: Wolli on December 10, 2014, 07:01:02 PM
there is no gab between Bail Arm and Rotor.
Never seen in several reels up to 30000 i had for sevice.

Wow!  You serviced 30,000 reels?  JK :)
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Eldops

Can you spot the difference?, i just put a very very little push on second pic from each side of bailarm
Is that normal? Because i dont find this on my cheaper reels

Eldops

Maybe this "issue" is more like this

Copied from alanhawk : "Unacceptable amount of clearance between the bail arm and the rotor. Just adds to the instability and squishiness of the arm at the joint."

Wolli

@Tightlines666

i service reels for more than 40 years. Its a hobby and after retirement and with more time i started writing in the German fishing boards. Im sorry to say that my English writing is not so good to write detailed reviews in English...
Attached please find a 30000SW-B review published in German Boards. I hope that the pics are selfexplanatory.
love jigging    www.jupiter-sunrise-lodge.com/de/
Authorized Jigging Master Service Partner (in Germany)

Keta

Does the bail bind?  It might be tighter for Spectra.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Bryan Young

That area should be tight as possible as long as it's not binding.

did you guys see the set screw for the line roller?  COOL

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

foakes

The Stella is the flagship of the Shimano HD Spinning Reel line.

And it should be -- since when it was introduced over 20 years ago -- the price was 4 times that of somewhat comparable reels.  They are excellent, well-engineered reels.  And Shimano is, and always has been a great company to work with when it came to consumer and product issues.  

Even when it was not a valid or warranted complaint -- 9 times out of 10 -- Shimano stepped up and handled the concern -- even to the point of just handing the consumer a new replacement reel.  

That being said, why hasn't Shimano addressed this sloppy bail arm issue through their repair dealers?

It would be a simple matter to just offer an upgraded part & professional installation by mail -- to any consumers who have this reel.

At $1,200 to $1,300 -- one should expect no less.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Tightlines667

Quote from: foakes on December 11, 2014, 06:29:24 PM
The Stella is the flagship of the Shimano HD Spinning Reel line.

And it should be -- since when it was introduced over 20 years ago -- the price was 4 times that of somewhat comparable reels.  They are excellent, well-engineered reels.  And Shimano is, and always has been a great company to work with when it came to consumer and product issues.  

Even when it was not a valid or warranted complaint -- 9 times out of 10 -- Shimano stepped up and handled the concern -- even to the point of just handing the consumer a new replacement reel.  

That being said, why hasn't Shimano addressed this sloppy bail arm issue through their repair dealers?

It would be a simple matter to just offer an upgraded part & professional installation by mail -- to any consumers who have this reel.

At $1,200 to $1,300 -- one should expect no less.

Best,

Fred

Agreed!
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Bryan Young

For sure.

I have a Shimano Twin-Drag that was gifted to me when living in Japan about 2 years before the Stella line came out.  From what I recall, the rod, reel, line and rod/reel bag cost somewhere in the ballpark of $3000.

That outfit has not failed me yet and I still use it today...unserviced. :D  Even with the same line too.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D