Penn Senators : from the beginning

Started by Superhook, December 21, 2014, 07:32:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maxed Out

Another interesting tidbit about this log nob first generation 9/0 is it has the easy access drag washers.....I have seen lots of first gen 9/0 reels and have never found one with outside drag access.....till now.

Thanks for posting that picture Sal.....I'm working on setting up photobucket.....someday reeeeel soon

Dom, if you looked at the "before" picture the only thing recognizable is that log handle..........What you see is result of 3 hours of gentle fingertip massage therapy.
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

broadway

Sal,
   I'm basing most of what I say on Ted, Ray and Mikes knowledge.  When guys like this are willing to pass on Penn historical facts, I'm listening!  Like I do when the rest of you members talk reel repair/ tinkering.  ;)
This place is a wealth of knowledge. 
Thanks
Dom

Alto Mare

Some more goodies from Ted:

I'll let Ted fill you in.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

broadway

Oh, I've been filled in and enjoyed my conversations with Ted about his rare finds.
Introducing me to Ted has definitely cost me some dough but it's like I have Otto on speed dial.
The problem is that he's got me scouring the globe in search of rare, old, cool penn reels that I can't let go by. ;)
Thanks,
Dom

Superhook

Ted, 

You did a very good job on cleaning the Log knob 9/0 reel. It is a rare reel which links the shift from First generation internal drag to Second generation external drag. Penn would have had to make a separate mould for that side plate and it would have had such a small output before the second generation .  Amazing find. Thanks for sharing.

Ray

Maxed Out

Sal, those 4 different handles are from approx. 3-4 year time frame when penn was still experimenting with different 9/0 nobs in the late 30's....none of which ever went into production........ Only 4 doorknob 9/0 are known to exist, and approx. same amount of the tall skinny 9/0 nob, this is the only log nob 9/0 found so far, and rare 9/0 rosewood torpedo is very early 2nd gen..... I call them the Otto's Angels :D.

Ray, somehow I expected you or Mike to end up with the log nob reel. You guys know what's mine is yours. I will offer to send it to Professor Mike for further examination and documentation, and somehow I think he'll take me up on that.  I'd offer to send it you for examination Ray, but just shipping it one way would cost more than the reel and I might never get it back outta your grip... lol

Superhook

Ted,

If Mike gets his hands on it he will check it out thoroughly to make certain it is factory and not Hot rodded . ( Not likely)  You will get it back from Mike . I'd probably tuck it under my arm and shoot through or send back an Alvey.  :)  There has been plenty of missed reels along with some rare finds over the years. Can't win them all . Photos are good .

Ray

Penn Chronology

QuoteThere has been plenty of missed reels along with some rare finds over the years. Can't win them all . Photos are good .

Yes, there are many missing super rare Penn reels still sitting in someones shed or basement.

How about the Penn Senator 12/O used in the photo section of the 1939 edition of Harlan Major's book on Salt Water Tackle?

This reel probably was given away by the author and could be anywhere in the world. During the war, Harlan Major was instrumental in collecting fishing tackle and delivering it to GI's stationed in the Pacific so they could go fishing when they we not in combat. This old Senator could be sitting on some Pacific Island still in use today. This is the only 12/O I have ever seen with the doorknob handle.

Rivverrat

Dang what a great thread! first time I read it.

Maxed Out

Wow Mike, that is one cool 12/0. I had only previously heard rumor of this 12/0, but now seeing the actual reel is amazing !!

I can't wait to see some of your other war era senators. How bout a few pics of some 1/0, and 2/0 reels ??

Superhook

Hard to find first year 3/0 Senator . No part numbers.

Pointed ends of Torepedo knob

400 yards stamped on foot

Drilled spool for line to tie to and coin edge counterweight.

This one was like new and came from Hawaii another one from the mainland was exactly the same except with an amber handle.

thorhammer

wow.....amazing stuff.....I recently  cleaned up a 16/0 for a buddy still on split hickory rod that was his grandad's in NJ. still had twisted cuttyhunk on it. I'm gonna see if he'll et me take pics and hopefully you guys can help date it. My man has pics of grandad in the 50's with tuna on this outfit so it's at least that old and in good shape. Now I am also gonna take my 14/0 down and look into it.

Perhaps the only sound more recognizable to a movie watching sportsman than an 870 slide getting racked is Quint's clicker going off......

Maxed Out

Wow, that's a rare 3/0 there Ray. Seems like any small pre war senator is a rare find, muchless one in that condition. How bout a 1/0 or 2/0 from this era ?? I know you're hiding a few of those Ray. ;)

Superhook

Ted,

I have not found a 1/0 with the drilled spool yet. I have 1/0 and  2/0's with coin edged counterweights . I think i have a 2/0 with a drilled spool ...somewhere. They also have stippled head plates but not stippled tail plates , no graphics . Next came handles with a plain counterweight with no lines at all then the counterweights with lines running the full circle. Most have pointed torpedo amber knobs with the odd red torpedo knob for the earliest models. I do have a 110 , 1/0 drilled spool in the box ( Thanks to Mike) When i find them i will photo and post.

Ray

Penn Chronology

Quote. I do have a 110 , 1/0 drilled spool in the box ( Thanks to Mike) When i find them i will photo and post.

That's where that reel went!!! I have been looking for that reel for weeks now. ??? ??? ???