Penn Senators : from the beginning

Started by Superhook, December 21, 2014, 07:32:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Superhook

Photos of Ted's 1942 mint 1/0 Senator

Superhook

Mike,

It was not a reel you gave me but a NOS spool in the black box. Well tonight i found it and it is not drilled , it has a line post. It's looking more like the 1/0 and 2/0's did not have drilled spools. Found a very good early 2/0 with Penn tie on tag with line post.

Ray

Penn Chronology

QuoteMike,

It was not a reel you gave me but a NOS spool in the black box.
Ray

Well Ray, you know me, I spend half my life confused and cannot remember the other half. That is why I have to write everything down. :(

Superhook

Photo is from the Internet . Left Handed 1/0 with the original box Priced at $13.50 . After checking the catalogs , the L/H Senators of sizes 1/0 , 2/0 & 3/0 were $1.00 extra. 4/0 and up were $2.00 extra. The 1/0 was $12.50 from 1946-1950 . With that die cut Penn tag often seen on war era reels my guess would be 1946 although with the "Fair Trade Price" printed on the box it may date it later to 1949. The type "Senator" is printed on an angle which is correct for the early boxes.

Superhook

Ted's 2/0 and box. Difficult to date exactly without the box price.  I'm thinking late 40's early 50's if it does not have part numbers . The type "SENATOR" is horizontal not on an angle.
The "Fair Trade Price" printed on the box suggests 49-51. I'll suggest 50-51.

Superhook

This was a group of Senator boxes i bought on Joe's Lures site.
The bottom left is a 3/0 box at $15.00 which is correct for the first year 1942.
The top left is a 2/0 box at $15.00 which is correct for 2nd year 1946.
The top right is a 3/0 box at $17.00 which is correct for 1946.

Maxed Out

Wow Ray, no wonder nobody else can locate those early boxes. It's cause you and Mike have 'em all ;) Very cool to get to see them. Thanks for sharing.

........and that lefty 1/0 is a museum piece.

I recently bought a pristine chrome 1/0 spool from the 40's that came in a newell spool box and seller had no idea it was a penn. This tells me that someone hot rodded a 40's 1/0 that was in pristine condition.  :( ....a sad day indeed.

.....and yes, you nailed the date on that 2/0 Ray. It does have part numbers. I had it figured as 1951.
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Superhook

Ted,

I scored those boxes a couple of years ago and was just lucky to spot them soon after they were listed. You have to be quick .

Ray

fishhead69

What is the relative value of a new in the lighthouse box Penn Senator 14/0 reel with a 7 o'clock handle?

broadway

You selling that 14/0, Paul? I may be or know someone who may be interested if you are.
Thanks
Dom

Penn Chronology

QuoteWhat is the relative value of a new in the lighthouse box Penn Senator 14/0 reel with a 7 o'clock handle?

My new book is available for orders at the White Press website < http://www.whitefishpress.com/ >. This issue has a modern price guide and my opinion, guidebook value for that 1949 14/O is in there.

I do not like to quote prices in this kind of environment because I am sure I will make someone unhappy. ::)

coastal_dan

Yes...release the Kraken!  Can we just order the book through you Mike?

That lefty 1/0 is beautiful.  Definitely a very interesting sized reel for the time.  Ray - when you say PHOTO FROM INTERNET, is this in someones collection?
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

foakes

Thanks for letting us know about your new book, Mike.

I will order mine now.

$39.95 on sale.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Superhook

Dan,

If my memory is correct I believe an ORCA member bought a group of Penn reels and this was one.

Ray

Jerseymic

Quote from: Penn Chronology on April 17, 2015, 04:22:12 PM
QuoteWhat is the relative value of a new in the lighthouse box Penn Senator 14/0 reel with a 7 o'clock handle?

My new book is available for orders at the White Press website < http://www.whitefishpress.com/ >. This issue has a modern price guide and my opinion, guidebook value for that 1949 14/O is in there.

I do not like to quote prices in this kind of environment because I am sure I will make someone unhappy. ::)

Book ordered Mike, should reach me in a couple of weeks.