Accurate DPX2-600W Information/Discussion

Started by HiloDB1, December 25, 2014, 12:08:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HiloDB1

Hello all,

I am new here to this site and am new to Accurate reels.

I just recently received my very first Accurate reel the other day.  Its a DPX2-600W in the BFG limited edition green color  ;D.

I'm very happy with the reel and am excited to use it on my next fishing trip.  But before I do any type of fishing with my new reel I want to know a few more things about it internally so I can do some maintenance on it after use.  I was not able to get a parts diagram for this particular model from the Accurate site.  When on their site I am only able to get the BX reel diagrams.  I'm not sure if they are the same/similar so I didnt want to go off of that diagram.  If someone can confirm they are the same/similar that would put my mind at rest.  Also my other thought/question was if its possible to put an AR bearing in my DPX2-600W.  I know it has a triple dog setup but I really like the instant feel of an AR bearing.  I thought I read somewhere that this was possible but not sure and havent seen a definite answer for the DPX2 reels.

Thanks!
Tad

johndtuttle

I can't comment about the similarity to the BX series enough to be sure, but you will not likely find much in the way of surprises.

Re the AR bearing: Accurate are the people to put one in for you. They will do a perfect job of it.

day0ne

Accurate has new stainless ARB to fit the BX/DPX2 reels. It is used in the Dauntless reels. They need to be pressed in. The DPX2 and the BX2 are alike except for the dogs. I bought a BX2 at a good price and had Accurate upgrade it to a DPX2 and had them put the ARB from the BX2 in the new side plate. The only other problem is the screws on the gear shift cover are a weird size that I haven't found a wrench for
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

HiloDB1

Thanks all for the insightful information.  I tried to contact Accurate today to get more info on the AR bearing install but they are closed till after the new years.  Guess Ill just have to wait on that for a bit.

HiloDB1

So I called and spoke to someone at Accurate and ordered the AR bearing.  I was told I only needed the AR bearing to be pressed in and no other parts were needed.  I guess we'll see when I open my DPX2 up and take a look.

johndtuttle

Quote from: HiloDB1 on January 06, 2015, 08:57:37 PM
So I called and spoke to someone at Accurate and ordered the AR bearing.  I was told I only needed the AR bearing to be pressed in and no other parts were needed.  I guess we'll see when I open my DPX2 up and take a look.

You can look up posts of Alan's or mine for pressing bearings into Accurates. Very simple to do with the right size sockets <--this is very, very important. You can go the threaded rod route or a bench vise.

HiloDB1

Ok I have an update.

I got my stainless steel ar bearing from accurate. When I disassembled my reel to get ready to install it I found that it already has one installed  :P. Would have been nice if the people at accurate had told me this when I called, would have saved me the trouble.

The play I'm feeling in the handle that had me thinking there was no ar bearing is due to the 2 speed mechanism.

Bryan Young

Aloha Tad.

E komo mai.

Beautiful Accurate.  I guess they didn't know that they had an ARB installed.  It may have been requested by the retailer because that reel color is only available at one store.

Enjoy that beautiful reel...and keep that ARB well lubricated with CorrosionX or similar lubricant.

Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

HiloDB1

Thanks Bryan.  It is a great looking/feeling reel.  Its a quality unit thats for sure.  I have a bottle of Corrosion X on hand but didnt think to add some to the AR bearing that was in the reel.  Guess I'll have to open it back up and add some in there for added measure.

Bryan Young

Tad, you should be fine.  Just remember to lube it periodically...an ounce or CorrosionX is worth a pound of Bearings. :D
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

day0ne

The DPX's originally had ARBs then Accurate stopped putting them in and later made it an option, so it also depends on when the reel was made. The ARB that is in the reel probably isn't stainless steel.
David

Bryan Young

HiloDB1

Quote from: day0ne on January 20, 2015, 08:29:45 PM
The DPX's originally had ARBs then Accurate stopped putting them in and later made it an option, so it also depends on when the reel was made. The ARB that is in the reel probably isn't stainless steel.
The reel would have been produced in the last 3 or so months.  As they are made to order for BFG in their limited edition custom color.  As for it having a stainless steel AR bearing I will be opening it back up again tonight to lube it and verify the material.  In either case I have a stainless steel AR bearing on hand so I can switch it out at my discretion.  I'll try and get some photos when I tear into it again and post them up.

Bryan Young

I'm not sure about this reel, but some Accurates came with a 1/2" long ARB and a 1/2" long spacer.  If that is the case, I would remove the spacer and press in a second bearing for more holding power...but that's just me...even though you have triple pawls.

day0ne

Quote from: HiloDB1 on January 20, 2015, 08:39:41 PM
The reel would have been produced in the last 3 or so months.  As they are made to order for BFG in their limited edition custom color. 

Probably not. As near as I can tell the DPX reels were replaced by the DX Dauntless reels some time ago. That is why all the great deals on the DPX reels lately. BFG has had green Accurate's for years.
David