Penn 9/0 115L drag upgrades

Started by TreyGTR, January 02, 2015, 11:44:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TreyGTR

I'm new to the website and awaiting the arrival of a penn 9/0 115L. I plan on doing some shark fishing this coming year. I have read a few of the threads on upgrading the drag washers to the HT-100's.  I've also read about adding an additional dog, just not sure I'm comfortable tackling that just yet. What else can I do to get some more drag and beef it up in general?

fIsHsTiiCkS

Quote from: TreyGTR on January 02, 2015, 11:44:14 PM
What else can I do to get some more drag and beef it up in general?

Almost endless things... a few are

- SS Gear Sleeve
- SS Yoke
- SS Gears (Get the SS Hex gears then use hex Carbon fiber drag washers for a much stronger/smoother drag. This being the best way to go for a more powerful drag)
- SS dogs
- Accurate frame
- SS handle
- New Handle grip

That is a great place to start  ;D

crackerman

Using the upgraded drag stack from Bryan Young (ultimate upgrades) over 35 pounds on useable drag is possible, over 50 is available with the list mentioned above.
However, if you buy all of that, you are better off spending the same dime and picking up a lever drag 50w from penn, avet, shimano, or any others amd gain the same drag, with a two speed.

Shark Hunter

First off Trey,
Welcome to the site! ;D
The 9/0 is a very capable reel. I would start with a stainless sleeve and a 5 Stack of Ht-100's.
That should be enough to catch at least any 8 footer out there. I can provide both of those.
Once you catch one, you will be ready for a 12/0. My favorite reel, capable of a 12 foot shark in stock form. You need anything buddy, Just ask. ;)
Life is Good!

fIsHsTiiCkS

When chasing Sharks, Daron is the one to ask!

alantani

and when modifying penn reels with an unlimited budget, daron is also the guy to ask. however.......

we do not all have unlimited budgets.  so, here is the order that i would use if i was on a limited budget.

first, tear everything down and put a light coat of grease on all the parts, even under the rings.  

second, and while you have it apart, make sure you have carbon fiber drags.  if not, order a set and also get a #6-114 drag washer to go under the main gear,  before installing the drag washers, add a light coat of cal's grease to the drags and put your reel back together.  

at this point, you can go fish.  by greasing the drag washers, you have eliminated the stickiness of the drag washers.  when the drags stick, the drag pressure can surge 10 to 50% on average.  this is what causes rounding off at the top of the gear sleeve, shredding of the gear teeth and torquing of frames.

third, add an oversized handle grip.  i charge $41 plus $3 shipping for mine, and the price is going up soon.  there are a bunch of different handle options out there.  it depends on how fancy you want to get.  

fourth, if, and only if, you round off the top of the gear sleeve, think about replacing the gear sleeve and dog with stainless steel.  you can do this at the beginning, and many guys do, but if you are on a budget and if you can do your own work, this will be $40 less that you will have to spend.  

fifth, with a stainless steel gear sleeve and dog, your reel should be able to handle more drag pressure.  if you a looking for a higher range, bryan young has a 7-stack drag set.  once again, you will be pushing the limits of your reel and adding more expense.  question if you would not be better off with a $600 penn international two speed.  

this is the stepwise progression i would take.  or you can do like daron and replace everything.  he does end up with a VERY nice reel.  there is a certain pride that he has when he catches a shark with an old school penn senator.  because he is so familiar with these reels, he know that he owns these sharks as soon as they wrap their teeth around his hooks!  just be careful because it is not money that you can easily recoup if you have to sell this reel.  very few people would appreciate this level of performance.  good luck!  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Shark Hunter

Quote from: fIsHsTiiCkS on January 03, 2015, 12:42:46 PM
When chasing Sharks, Daron is the one to ask!
The Key word there is "Chase"! ;D
Yes, Listen to Alan, Trey. The only downfall with the 9/0 fishing from shore is line capacity. Braid Backing will help here, although I am not a fan of it. Here is a Tutorial of reel I built for a a Gentleman who wanted the Full Monty on His 9/0. ;)
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=11486.0
This is a pretty Neat Video of a Big Nurse Shark Caught on a 9/0 with Braid.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZHhI-vvLPg&feature=player_embedded
Life is Good!

fIsHsTiiCkS

Very true Alan!! I am very guilty of getting way to carried away with modifying and upgrading. As always great advice! I have a 9/0 with just a drag upgrade and it's still a beast.

Great video Daron!

TreyGTR

Holy smokes guys!! Thanks for all the help. Did any of the 115L's come with the HT-100 drag washers already installed. Looking at the owners manual I counted the drag stack and there was 5 plus metal in between. Also does anyone know a reasonably priced rod builder? Once again thanks! 

alantani

if you have carbon fiber drag washers, just grease them and you're good.  even if they're all corroded, you're still good.  just clean them up as best you can with an old rag.  you want to "raise the grain" and then slap on a coat of cal's grease.  if you need just the #6-114 drag washer that goes under the main gear, let me know and i can send one out. 

Shiftee

Quote from: TreyGTR on January 07, 2015, 12:53:45 AM
Holy smokes guys!! Thanks for all the help. Did any of the 115L's come with the HT-100 drag washers already installed. Looking at the owners manual I counted the drag stack and there was 5 plus metal in between. Also does anyone know a reasonably priced rod builder? Once again thanks!  

As far as rods go, there's a ton of shark rods floating around, some custom built. Unless you're looking for something in particular. You fishing from boat, beach or pier? I wouldnt use it from the sand but... http://www.pensacolafishingforum.com/f52/shark-rod-sale-450378/ There's a few up for grabs on SOS too.

TreyGTR

The reel I bought was a gem! Never used. Granted I haven't taken it apart yet, but everything on the outside is flawless. So definitely planning on doing the stainless steel gear sleeve, stainless dog and stainless yoke. Now assuming I have the HT-100 drags, Alan I would like to get one of those #6-114 washers for under main gear. Also do you recommend get the pro challenger gear set from Scott's bait and tackle? Is the 2.8:1 worth it? Or does anyone make the stainless main gear? Shark Hunter we fish shark fish at Cape San Blas, although this year we are going to do Indian Pass just down the road. Shiftee we fish from shore kayaking baits out. I'm just trying to stay away from a store bought rod, but also don't want to spend a fortune.

alantani

send me your address and i will send out a drag washer and a small dollop of cal's grease for the drags.  i will also include a little yamaha grease for you to put a light coat of grease on the rest of the reel.  let's do just this for now.  i know it all looks enticing, but go fish with this reel after the drag upgrade and then let's see what else you might need.  you can always do more upgrades later.  let's just take small steps for now.   ;D

Shark Hunter

Trey,
I am wanting to vacation at CSB this year. That place looks awesome. Very remote and perfect for shark fishing.
I sent you a PM.
Life is Good!

fsrmn

I love fishing Cape Sand Blas. I have been doing it since I was a kid. Also the tip of the cape past St. Joe State Park (great camping) called "Shark Hole". Indian Pass is good or take the ferry over to St. Vincent Island if it still runs. Where is CSB? ???
Not all fishing is done with rod and reel.