I want to upgrade and freshen up a TLD 10

Started by Robert S, January 16, 2015, 08:18:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert S

Hi folks and Happy New Year to all!

I have in my old reel stash a TLD 10. It's complete and after minimal servicing it should work well.  For sure I want one of Alan's handle upgrades. Are there any other upgrade parts for this reel currently available and preferably by regulars on this board?

Thanks for any help.
Robert

foakes

Great reels, Robert --

Sure wish they were still made -- along with one of my all time favorites -- the TLD5.

Very capable reel as is -- just a couple of upgrades would make it even better.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Bryan Young

Greased Carbontex Drag Washer would be my first upgrade.  The reel has a white canvas drag washers, and really not the best performance that could be had for this reel.

I too love these reels, but the demand cost is way out of my league.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Tightlines667

I second Brian's revommendation.  You can (and should) upgrade the drag washer to carbon fiber (greased w/Cals), and I would upgrade to the thicker/heavier Belleville washers as well.  You can also open up the spool bearings or upgrade them to ceramic hybrids (from Shimano), or Abec 7 sealed (from BocaBearings).  If you really want top end freespool, you could cut and install a custom spool sleeve   You can also upgrade the handle, and you might want to consider additional upgrades from Tiburon.  I believe the 20 frame would fit (pricy though), snd you could upgrade to a heavier duty drag plate.  Maybe give Tiburon a call to check on options here?  

Bellevilles, and drag washer at a min though.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

redsetta

Fred's spot on - these a great little reels.
Here's what I did with mine:
Let us know how you get on.
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

foakes

Nice job on that 10, Justin -- light, capable, simple and well built -- very strong reels.

Bryan, I know what you mean about the demand -- but you may be thinking of a few years ago, when a used TLD5 would go for around $175 - $200 on eBay. 

Just checked the last 10 actually sold on eBay -- the average price was $81.60.

That seems like a very good value, IMO.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

day0ne

Quote from: Tightlines666 on January 16, 2015, 08:55:00 PM
You can also upgrade the handle, and you might want to consider additional upgrades from Tiburon.  I believe the 20 frame would fit (pricy though), snd you could upgrade to a heavier duty drag plate.  Maybe give Tiburon a call to check on options here?  

The Tiburon stuff is for the TLD20 2 speed and won't come anywhere close to fitting this reel. This reel is a little bit bigger than an Avet sx, the tld5 is the size of an sx, at least in line capacity. Just an FYI, Tiburon doesn't list the drag plates in their store anymore and were hesitant to sell them without you buying a frame anyway.
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

Tightlines667

Quote from: day0ne on January 16, 2015, 10:37:41 PM
Quote from: Tightlines666 on January 16, 2015, 08:55:00 PM
You can also upgrade the handle, and you might want to consider additional upgrades from Tiburon.  I believe the 20 frame would fit (pricy though), snd you could upgrade to a heavier duty drag plate.  Maybe give Tiburon a

The Tiburon stuff is for the TLD20 2 speed and won't come anywhere close to fitting this reel. This reel is a little bit bigger than an Avet sx, the tld5 is the size of an sx, at least in line capacity. Just an FYI, Tiburon doesn't list the drag plates in their store anymore and were hesitant to sell them without you buying a frame anyway.

Good Info...
Thanks for the clarification!
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

akfish

The TLD 10 is a neat little reel, and with a greased carbon fiber drag washer has a very smooth drag. However, its plastic frame will torque with too much drag. My recommendation is to think of it as a 20# reel and keep drag under about 8 pounds. Any more and you'l likely fry the pinion gear and shred the gears -- at least that's what happens to most of the TLD 15s I see in the shop that have been fished too hard. Now, if there were an aluminum frame, this reel would be great. Wait, there is, almost: Get an aluminum frame for a Charter Special 2000 from Alan and you've got very much what you are looking for.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Robert S

Wow!  Everyone, Thank you for all the good information.

It sounds like a handle, bellevilles, drag washer and bearing cleanup. Maybe a frame upgrade down the road. I read Justin's thread. Nice work there.

So who sells the bellevilles?

Thanks again everyone.
Robert

day0ne

Quote from: Robert S on January 17, 2015, 05:54:05 AM
Wow!  Everyone, Thank you for all the good information.

It sounds like a handle, bellevilles, drag washer and bearing cleanup. Maybe a frame upgrade down the road. I read Justin's thread. Nice work there.

So who sells the bellevilles?

Thanks again everyone.
Robert

Shimano. They are the ones for the TLD20 2 speed (part # tt-0040A). BTW, there is no known frame upgrade for this reel. Sorry.
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

Robert S

I ordered the parts from Alan. I'm glad that he had everything on the list. I'll post some pics and info after I start cracking.

Thanks Dayone. I missed the part number the first time around when reading Justin's tutorial.

Robert

coastal_dan

Robert - looking forward to seeing the outcome.  Neat little reels for sure.
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

Robert S

Hi gang.  Dan, Thanks for pinging me on this.

I started on the reel and then got distracted with work requirements. I took some photos.  I will finish the project and report back.

Robert

Robert S

Here's some photos taken with my cell phone.