St. Croix Viking Rod 6'6, and custom rod

Started by newbee, January 21, 2015, 03:08:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

newbee

Does anybody know anything about these rods. I found these at a garage sale, and i'm not sure how good of a rod they are. the st. croix rod is model 7704-M. I got them at a really good price. Both rods had a Penn 209 on them. Please help. I have a guy who wants to buy them and is offering 90 for the st. croix rod and 209.

let me know what you think about that. the one with the wooden handle doesn't have any writing on it (i'm assuming it's custom built)

Reel 224

I'm not so sure that the reel alone is worth that but there are people here that can nail it down for you I'm sure of that.
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

newbee

I didn't think so either, i think he was offering that because of the rod so i wanted to make sure i was getting a good offer

Reel 224

Quote from: newbee on January 21, 2015, 03:24:40 PM
I didn't think so either, i think he was offering that because of the rod so i wanted to make sure i was getting a good offer

Yes wait and see who reads this post to give you a honest value. Maybe Alan or Fred or one of the others can help. I would give Jon a PM I'm sure he could help also.
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

alantani

i'm not much on rods.  hope you don't mind, but i'm going to move this over to the rod section. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

newbee

sure no problem, i don't mind at all. thanks.

Reel 224

I'm sure if you ask Jon Vadney about the rod value, he could help. And as far as the reels are concerned Fred or maybe Bryan could help.

Alto Mare

Not sure about that one, but I sold a StCroix unlimited Class with Mildrum guides 2 years ago for $280 and its still bothering me today for selling it.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

newbee

Thanks for the help guys. I was able to call St. Croix and they told me it was worth about $40 bucks in that condition. I was able to get $55 from it . . . as i told Jon, it was too heavy for my taste anyway. I do like St. Croix rods, however.. .. actually one guy was selling his brand new 6'6 St. Croix Premier/PC66MF Medium action Rod for $40!!!!! :o :o :o :o :o :o :o I had to snatch that right off of his hands before anyone else did. This bad boy retails at $130, i was happy with my buy  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

theswimmer

The wood handle rod may be a Harnell.
It has some value both as a collectable and as a working rod.
I have both a roller tuna stick Harnell and a lighter 15/20 bait rod that are at least 20 years old and I love and use both of them.
I had a guy on a party boat out of Monterey  offer me $200 for my 15/20 and I turned him down, Check Flea Bay for values.
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

Alto Mare

Vintage StCroix also came with the wood.
Here is a shot of the one I sold up front:

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Shark Hunter

Nice Shot Sal! I see why its still bothering you. That is a Beauty right there! :o
Life is Good!

theswimmer

Quote from: Alto Mare on January 22, 2015, 06:33:20 PM
Vintage StCroix also came with the wood.
Here is a shot of the one I sold up front:

Sal I was going off the wraps and the reel base hardware.
Harnells almost always used black rod  blanks and red thread for the bulk of the wrap with a thin line of yellow thread at the end.
This was for their salt water rods. I have seen 6/7/8 wt. fly rods with the same treatment however.
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

newbee

wow those are very nice . . . the one i sold wasn't that great and as i mentioned before too heavy for my taste and I don't really collect rods, although, i might real soon. I'm more of a lure kinda guy. every  time i go to estate sales/garage sales i jump on those. especially the older wood lures  ;D

thanks for all the info. i will look at the other rods more carefully to see what kind they are, one of them has Fairfield written on it but that is it, any ideas?

Rick

Alto Mare

Got it theswimmer, I thought you meant the wood butt.
Sal