got a used penn 320gti and found a nice surprise

Started by steelfish, January 26, 2015, 09:08:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelfish

well, I got a used 320gti some months ago at the end of the last fishing season, the idea is to have it for the wife and make her life easier when recovering line with the leverwind...
the reel wasnt used for many weeks, I took it for trolling and bait fishing to test it and check that everything is working good, well the reel did an amazing job trolling big spanish mackerel and a big fat cabrilla (grouper) with no problem.

well since I really liked the reel I wanted to tinker the reel for my wife with some upgrades, few days ago, I opened the reel just to found a nice surprise, the reel have all the goodies that I saw on the tutorial by A. Tani, I dont know if it was serviced by him or another reel master or amateur like me, but I found nothing to improve there.

the drag washers installed are already carbon fiber

even the small one under the main gears.

it has open bearings on both sides and they look really good, maybe they are new ones.

it has the grease coat on metal parts to avoid corrosion.
it also have the bigger "tension control cap" as you can see here.

as I said, there wasnt much I can do to upgrade the reel other than ordering a new power handle which is already shipped.

damn!! it feels good to find this kind of surprises, normally when I buy used reels I have to order few parts here and there to make them as good as stock or better.
if you dont mind I will post a pic as soon as I receive the 4/0 power handle installed on this little beast.

The Baja Guy

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

George4741

My wife's favorite salt water reel is a 320gt2.  Great reels.  Need I say more?
viurem lliures o morirem

steelfish

Quote from: George4741 on January 27, 2015, 03:23:16 AM
My wife's favorite salt water reel is a 320gt2.  Great reels.  Need I say more?

Cool.. thanks for bringing that up.

Pretty sure mine will love it too
The Baja Guy

borchcl

I sold a about a half dozen 320's and a couple 330's on flea bay last summer, and all were serviced the same way your new purchase was. Still have several left to sell when I get back home this spring. Biggest problem is I sometimes have more in parts than one can get for the reel! They are good little reels for the money.

alantani

can i send you some teflon dots to shim the levelwind pawl?
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

steelfish

@ Borchcl.. I bought this reel in another fishing forum (stripersonline) from a guy that got it and never used it, never knew where he got it.

@Alan Tani..  Sir, you are a truly gentleman but I have to say no thanks.. the only reason is that you already sent me some free teflon shims, by coincidence I received your package today with the penn handle, calcutta 400te drags and 320gti teflon shims (alex from México/ calexico, ca)

Thanks again

The Baja Guy

borchcl

I didn't think it was one I sold, but it's nice that someone serviced it well B/4 the sale. Doesn't always happen that way.

steelfish

Quote from: borchcl on January 28, 2015, 11:38:30 PM
but it's nice that someone serviced it well B/4 the sale. Doesn't always happen that way.

tell me about it..

now with the power handle looks like a different animal.

The Baja Guy

steelfish

I wanted to make another thread but I think I better keep of your comments and help in just one.

ok, the more I use this "oldie but goodie" reel the more I like it, heck, I even used it more than my trini16 cuz in my last week fishing trip, it felt really sturdy and with 4:1 gears it brings the YT up easier than the 6:1 trini.

I know I wanted it for the wifey LOL, but instead of getting in a future a medium size 2-speed reel I think I will keep using the trini16 or fathom 40 for speed and jigs and the 320gt for medium trolling and deep bait fishing bacause of the gears and raw power.

now taking into account this reel already has carbontex, power handle, open bearings, shimmed levelwind pawl and really nice oil/grease job, what other goodies you can get for this "smaller 4/0 senator with levelwind" to make it as bulletproof as the Baja special? (for some reason I want to keep using the levelwind, laziness I know  ;D)

The Baja Guy

fIsHsTiiCkS

Quote from: steelfish on February 03, 2015, 09:23:47 PM
I wanted to make another thread but I think I better keep of your comments and help in just one.

ok, the more I use this "oldie but goodie" reel the more I like it, heck, I even used it more than my trini16 cuz in my last week fishing trip, it felt really sturdy and with 4:1 gears it brings the YT up easier than the 6:1 trini.

I know I wanted it for the wifey LOL, but instead of getting in a future a medium size 2-speed reel I think I will keep using the trini16 or fathom 40 for speed and jigs and the 320gt for medium trolling and deep bait fishing bacause of the gears and raw power.

now taking into account this reel already has carbontex, power handle, open bearings, shimmed levelwind pawl and really nice oil/grease job, what other goodies you can get for this "smaller 4/0 senator with levelwind" to make it as bulletproof as the Baja special? (for some reason I want to keep using the levelwind, laziness I know  ;D)

Depending on what drag numbers you are using, a SS gear sleeve might be a good upgrade. I would wait till the brass one you have goes bad first though. I haven't worked on these to much but i know it is always possible to double dog anything! After that I think that reel is maxed out and a beast as is!

steelfish

Quote from: fIsHsTiiCkS on February 04, 2015, 12:34:17 AM
Depending on what drag numbers you are using, a SS gear sleeve might be a good upgrade. I would wait till the brass one you have goes bad first though. I haven't worked on these to much but i know it is always possible to double dog anything! After that I think that reel is maxed out and a beast as is!

well not really using an steady drag, most of my fisheries here are species on the range 5lb - 20lb, but sometimes you can have a surprise with a Shark, big grouper or big fat ray.

recently I got a 15lb yellowtail and even with this medium sized fish it was not as easy to turn the handle on my trini16, I wished to have the penn 320gt instead at that moment, but since this 320gt have a graphite body I dont know if I can make it bit more robust.

I think some SS parts that fit the 4/0 senator could fit this reel, but an alloy frame would be extraordinary cool.

The Baja Guy

steelfish

just to revive this thread, I still have this same penn 320gt and still going strong since I bought it USED back in 2015, my daugther caught her best YT to date on it, that was few years ago, not a big one but its the biggest on her own record, at least that YT offered her a nice battle and she still talks about it, she also caught some other fish that same day and there was no sweat on the reel.

The Baja Guy

Bill B

Good times Alex.  That 320 is a workhorse.  It's in my top 5 of favorite reels.  Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Bryan Young

Those are the best days fishing.  I remember my daughter catching fish between naps and seasickness. But still very memorable for the both of us.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D