tiagra 50w lrsa confusion

Started by alantani, November 05, 2010, 04:43:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

Hi Alan,

I service my own reels and the reels of a friend or two and enjoy the challenges sometimes presented.

I have a question about the gear positioning on a Shimano Tiagra 50W LRS, a used reel that I recently purchased.  Regretfully, while dismantling the reel to discover its level of wear and service, I removed the gears and spacers from the drive shaft without noting which way they faced.  THEN discovered that the schematic is inconclusive in denoting the configuration.  Subsequently, I reassembled the gears, spacers and shifting mechanism several different ways and find that they seem to work fine despite their configuration.  The main problem I have is to determine which way the gears are actually supposed to face.

The last time I assembled the reel,the gear components were installed on the Drive Shaft in this order:

a)  Drive Shaft Screw
b) "E" Lock
c) Friction Washer (A) with the indented side facing towards the low speed gear
d) Drive Gear (B) Low Speed Drive Gear with the double indentation side facing toward the High Speed Gear.
e) Friction Washer (B) This washer seems to be symmetrical and can be put on the shaft facing either way.
f) Drive Gear (A) with the double indentation side facing towards Friction Washer (B) and the low speed gear.
g) This means that Drive Gear A, the high speed gear, single indentation side is facing the right side plate.

Hope this is not too confusing and that you can advise whether or not the above is correct.

A final note, when configured as above the reel shifts fine, has good free spool, good drag and no apparent problems.

Thanks for your time.

Joe

joe, i'd have to pull one apart to know.  and don't feel bad.  i made the same mistake the first time i pulled one apart.  that's why i generally leave them together and remove them as a single unit.  if it works, stick with it, but please let me know if you have problems down the line.  thanks!  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

kamuwela

send me a pm i have two that i can take apart and do a tutoriol on if there is interest for it on this reel. i can take the right side off and walk you through it also. let me know                           
                                                         aloha
                                                         kamu

Bryan Young

I'd be interested Kamu.  Everyday I learn something new is a good day. ;D
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D