Blind Date Charters, Norfolk Virginia

Started by Stan, January 31, 2015, 03:36:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stan

Thanks, Alan

I own and operate Blind Date; a 28 foot catamaran.  We fish the lower Chesapeake bay and nearby offshore waters.  I take advantage of the diverse fishing opportunities this area has to offer; flounder, drum and cobia in the lower bay, to deepdropping for tilefish, grouper and barrelfish in and around Norfolk Canyon.

www.blinddatecharters.com

https://www.facebook.com/BlindDateCharters

coastal_dan

Neat, just saw this.  What is the best time of year for the tile fishing trips?  I prefer small boats under 30' for our charters so your boat sounds swell.

Edit: Also, did you have a rates list?  Thanks.
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

al_n_VB757

Hi Skipper,
According to your booking requirements, 50% is required to hold a date. So,$1000.00 is what you charge for off-shore? That's for 6 anglers, correct? What offshore tackle do you incorporate?

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Stan

We catch tilefish year round; both bluelines and goldens.  Some folks like to make sure that black seabass is in season so that we have a fall-back on those rare occasions that the tilefish don't cooperate.

My current rate for an offshore deep-drop trip is $1000.  I prefer to take no more than four anglers on a deep-drop trip, but will take five.  While I can safely and legally carry six passengers, it gets a little tight with seven of us on a 12-14 hour trip.

My deep-drop tackle is  mostly of Release LGs, Toriums, and Saltists.  I also have a Penn 330 GTi, the International 6 that Cal upgraded, and a tib framed TLD.  

coastal_dan

Thinking July 22 for a charter, decent time? Not sure of your guys seabass season...I'll be celebrating my 30th that day so I want to do something a little different :). Tile trips up here are 18+hr depending on the speed and much pricier.  Thanks for answering our questions Cap!
Dan from Philadelphia...

Stan

Sounds great...Seabass will be open in July with a limit of 15 per person.  I can pencil you in and you can firm it up with a deposit any time between now and then. 

coastal_dan

I'll shoot you an email, rather than taking up this valuable web space :)

One other question that might interest others here...do you mind if we bring one or two of our own rods/reels?  I, for example, finished up redoing a jigmaster for seabass and would love to test it out...Thanks!
Dan from Philadelphia...

al_n_VB757

Quote from: striperstan on February 19, 2015, 12:45:41 AM
We catch tilefish year round; both bluelines and goldens.  Some folks like to make sure that black seabass is in season so that we have a fall-back on those rare occasions that the tilefish don't cooperate.

My current rate for an offshore deep-drop trip is $1000.  I prefer to take no more than four anglers on a deep-drop trip, but will take five.  While I can safely and legally carry six passengers, it gets a little tight with seven of us on a 12-14 hour trip.

My deep-drop tackle is  mostly of Release LGs, Toriums, and Saltists.  I also have a Penn 330 GTi, the International 6 that Cal upgraded, and a tib framed TLD.  

Great. I am also in Hampton Roads. I will keep you in mind this season. Me and my friends will probably bring our own tackle. Thanks!!

Stan

I don't mind folks bringing their own tackle as long as it is up to the task and compatable with what we are doing. 

Alto Mare

Quote from: striperstan on February 19, 2015, 04:59:57 PM
I don't mind folks bringing their own tackle as long as it is up to the task and compatable with what we are doing. 
Wouldn't that be up to the guest? For instance, my older reels are not what they seam to be from the outside. :-\
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Stan

Quote from: Alto Mare on February 21, 2015, 11:10:00 PM

Wouldn't that be up to the guest? For instance, my older reels are not what they seam to be from the outside. :-\

It isn't always that easy.  I will work with my customers and try to satisfy all of their wants.  But,  customers pay charter captains to catch fish.  I make sure I have tackle that is suitable to the task at hand.  If a customer has tackle that is suitable, I will always try to oblige.

In the end, it depends on the fish being sought,  the type of fishing we are doing, the customer's tackle, and the other anglers.  For example, if I am taking a group of 5 deep dropping in 100 to 150 fathoms for tilefish and grouper, everyone needs to be using the same type of line and amount of weight, or we will be deep in tangles all day.  So if someone brings their own gear and it is compatible with mine, then game on.  If everyone is using my rigs with 50-65 pound test braid and a customer wants to use his 30-wide loaded with mono, I have to say no.   On the other hand, if a group wants to all fish for bull reds and cobia and bring their fly rods, I am good with that; so long as the whole party agrees.

A trip doesn't work if one angler wants a record fish on 2 lb test and the others want a cooler fool of meat.

In any case, whatever we decide on a given trip will be agreed to by all before we ever leave the dock.

Alto Mare

Well explained and it makes sense. So if I was bringing a group of friend, it would be up to me. That's what I was getting at with my original question.
Thank you!
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

al_n_VB757

Thanks for all the info striperstan! Now we need a weather window!