Penn 150 Surfmaster

Started by JoePlo, February 01, 2015, 09:22:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoePlo

Spent the rainy Sunday working on an old Penn 150 Surfmaster. Only issue with the reel was a missing eccentric level. I attempted to cannibalize level from busted 209 but does not use the same screw.

Already disassembled. The intriguing part about the Surfmaster is its "Take apart construction."   

The term "Take-Apart" refers to the feature of quick and easy take-down of the reel for cleaning or spool change. To effect this, unscrew the knurled take-apart screw ( part TA 200 ) three turns to the left and then pull it outward ( away from plate ), at the same time rotate the right side plate about 1/4 inch to the left ( counter-clockwise ) and pull it away from the reel frame, taking care not to drop the freed spool. To re-assemble, reverse the entire operation, making sure to screw the take-apart screw into the reel frame, as otherwise the right side plate might be lost.

JoePlo

Fully disassembled. Both side plates are brushed off and cleaned.

After cleaning. Will hit brass parts with blue grease.

Standard Penn bridge. Will clean off all grease. Careful with removing fiber washer as I have broken quite a few on older reels. This one was in good shape.

After cleaning. Drag contains 3 carbon fiber washers and 3 metal washers. Order was CF / Round metal / CF / Keyed metal / CF / Round metal. Used Cals Drag grease.

Began rebuilding handle side of the reel. Placed in eccentric and eccentric spring. I like to place in bridge screws and spring and then place small bit of blue grease to keep them in place.

I failed to take a picture putting in the bridge. The dog is held in by a flat metal spring type piece with 45 degree bend.

Like to brush on a light coat of blue grease.

Before placing the inner ring back together all posts and reel seat needs to be screwed back in.

To put back together simply align the ring. You will see the notches.

Really only goes on 1 way.

Spool was in good shape. Just brushed old grease off and placed blue grease on metal.

With opposite side plate back on, place spacing sleeve back on.

Install drag star and handle.

Good to go. Just need to order the eccentric and eccentric screw.

JoePlo

Definitely placed this in the wrong section. Sorry did not realize there was a subcategory for Surfmasters. I believe the thread can be moved?

foakes

Hi Joe,

And welcome to the Board.

Looks like you know what you are doing -- thank you for sharing!

Nice clean up and service on that old 150 -- they are very good reels.

If you still need the eccentric lever & hex eccentric lever attaching nut -- PM me your mailing address and full name.

I will get them in the mail to you -- no charge.

Numbers for your reel are 21-200 & 22-99.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Keta

Quote from: JoePlo on February 01, 2015, 09:58:23 PM
I believe the thread can be moved?

Yup it can,  ;D

Nice job above.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

foakes

OK, Joe --

Parts going out today.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

alantani

very nice post!  send me a pm with your address.  i want to mail something out to you in thanks!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

coastal_dan

Nice write up!  I may follow suit and start wearing gloves when I work on reels...the wifey doesn't enjoy the smell as much as me, ha!
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

JoePlo

A big thank you to Fred Oakes. The eccentric lever and nut came rapidly and I was able to put the reel back together this weekend. It is in amazing condition. Would almost say it has never been fished.

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

harryk3616

Keta

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

basto

They are very similar to a jig master aren`t they. Sounds like the dog spring is different. Very nice job and beautiful reel.
Basto
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

Alto Mare

That is a beauty, very nice.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Keta

Quote from: basto on February 17, 2015, 01:30:14 AM
They are very similar to a jig master aren`t they. Sounds like the dog spring is different. Very nice job and beautiful reel.
Basto

Basically the same and you are right, the Surfmasters use a flat spring. 

Mark Twain