horrors!!!! i now own 100 left handed 6/0-9/0 stainless steel gear sleeves!!!!

Started by alantani, February 02, 2015, 02:39:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

yup. you read that right.  the guy that made the gear sleeves for me made 100 of the large 114-115 gear sleeves with a left handed base.  these gear sleeves have a left handed base but a right handed thread for the star.  for any of you guys that own left handed 6/0's or 9/0's, is this the way your reel is set up stock, or do you have a true left handed star? 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Maxed Out

I just sold Dom a late 50's lefty 9/0 so he could likely answer your question.

I know for sure on a standard 209 the star will not work on the LH model. It has to be reverse threads. Not sure on senators. Your sleeves with regular threads will still work on a lefty if that's the case, just need to have a star off a right hand reel.
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Shark Hunter

Send me one Boss, I'll let you know for sure if its going to work on a righty.
Life is Good!

Jerseymic

Alan,

I have a leftie 9/0 in my collection, and to tighten the drag you have to wind the star back towards you.

So if you are looking at the star face on you are turning it clockwise to tighten.

Hope this helps.

Mike.

franky

OMG, I would imagine that if the base teeth is cut out for a lefty and the star thread is cut out for a righty, then if its installed in a left handed reel's sideplate, the only way the drag will be tightened is to turn the star backwards and to loosen the drag you have to turn the star forward.  :-\  Technically, it can work, but it will be a little odd and against nature.  :-\  

Possible solution:

Is there enough meat on the sleeve to allow for the shaving off the incorrect star threads and re-cutting the star threads in the correct left handed configuration?  If there is, then a star can be made with a smaller inside diameter to accomodate the corrected star thread on the shaft.  Just putting my thoughts out there....

Bryan Young

I think we need to order a left- handed start from Penn Parts to be sure if the stars are indeed right or left handed threads.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Tightlines667

Better check with a new penn part, maybe a star and a sleeve for a left-handed reel.  Otherwise reconfiguring the dogs on a right hand plate could give you a very solid anti-forward dog set up.  

In either case you are going to have trouble finding a buyer for all of these sleeves.

Read this from Scott's regarding conversion of right to left handed reels..

https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Technical/115LConvertingLH.aspx

According to them, you need:
- a gear sleeve
-a head plate
-a main gear
-a pinion gear

"NOTES: The 10-114 star is universal to either left-hand or standard use. The handle side plate 1-115 is NOT convertible to either standard or left hand."

Cost is about $92.60 + gear sleeve + shipping

Maybe Scott's would be interested in carrying your sleeves as part of the conversion kit?

O..I see standard left hand gear sleeves are on backorder, and he AlanTani Sleeves are already listed:

https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Custom/98-114AT-LH.aspx

Listed at $36 for both the 6 and 9/0 so 9/0 total conversion parts cost is about $128.60.

Looks like the good news is that your sleeves should be direct replacements for left hand reel sleeves, and that Scott's is going to sell them for you.  Bad news is..it could take a while.  At least they work in both the 6 and 9/0 left hand reels.

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Dominick

It sounds to me like lefty loose-y Righty tight-y hasn't changed.  Am I missing something?  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Robert Janssen

Quote from: alantani on February 02, 2015, 02:39:40 AM
...made 100 of the large 114-115 gear sleeves with a left handed base.  these gear sleeves have a left handed base but a right handed thread for the star....

Perhaps all is not lost? You COULD maybe just poke them back in the mill and mill away the slope part of each tooth, leaving sort of a spline tooth profile. They'd still work more-or-less just the same. And you could re-market them as Alan Tani's Special Ambidextrous Sleeves instead.

See, there ya go. Problem solved; no worries. Really, i've sometimes wondered why they weren't like that to begin with.

Alto Mare

Your machinist might be right, Scott's doesn't have a left handed  star for their left hand sleeves.
The stars have the same part number for the LH reel or standard.

Taking what  Mike said, about turning the star towards you, confirms it. I don't believe a left handed star exists.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

trond_solem

Quote from: Robert Janssen on February 11, 2015, 11:05:15 PM
Quote from: alantani on February 02, 2015, 02:39:40 AM
...made 100 of the large 114-115 gear sleeves with a left handed base.  these gear sleeves have a left handed base but a right handed thread for the star....

Perhaps all is not lost? You COULD maybe just poke them back in the mill and mill away the slope part of each tooth, leaving sort of a spline tooth profile. They'd still work more-or-less just the same. And you could re-market them as Alan Tani's Special Ambidextrous Sleeves instead.

See, there ya go. Problem solved; no worries. Really, i've sometimes wondered why they weren't like that to begin with.

Something like this?
This is based on the 98-60 sleeve. There might not be enough steel in the splines to give it enough strength, but the 98-114 sleeve has larger diameter and thus the "splines" will be wider, and probably strong enough.

franky

Quote from: Alto Mare on February 11, 2015, 11:44:10 PM
Your machinist might be right, Scott's doesn't have a left handed  star for their left hand sleeves.
The stars have the same part number for the LH reel or standard.

Taking what  Mike said, about turning the star towards you, confirms it. I don't believe a left handed star exists.

I can see that its true, the star might have a one directional spiral that can be flipped over to accomodate a lefty and righty gearsleeve.  However, the directional spiral engraved on the gearsleeve must be a certain way for the lefty and the other direction for the righty....I think  ??? I'm getting dizzy just thinking about it.  :P

broadway

Sorry for not responding sooner but I didn't catch this thread... the star gets wound backwards.
As Sal, said, I don't think a lefty senator star exists.  That would be a cool find, though.
Alan, If you want to hang onto one or two of those lefty sleeves for me that would be cool... If you can't then no worries.
No, Ted, its not going in that sweet 50's lefty ...I have 2 lefty 114h's that would be very happy with some SS in their guts.
Thanks
Dom

redfish12

I have a lefty Newell 220 and it's basically a right hand model flipped over. The lever is towards the front of the reel, the star spins backwards and is a bit un-natural. You get used to it, but it is definitely weird! I wish a modern company would release a left hand non-levelwind star drag reel!!!!

Shark Hunter

I have been chosen to test these sleeves.
Alan had them recut just like Trond's idea.
An Idea that actually came to be.
I think they will be fine. They work as intended thus far.
I could have just put one of these sleeves in an existing reel, but I chose to do a new build on a Super Six Frame from Randy Pauly.
I went with a Hex Drag with Alan Chui's gears.
These are outdated now, but still very powerful in this application
I don't have an ss dog or ss yoke at his time, but both are on the way.
It feels smooth as butta.

Life is Good!