Shimano Triton Mark III-S, picture tutorial

Started by steelfish, February 09, 2015, 09:06:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelfish

First I will start saying that I not a reel repair guru or anything like most of the guys here, but I really learned a lot checking A.T. tutorials from some years now, and I actually asked him a lot of questions during these years, I really enjoy to dismantle all the parts on my reels that according to my wife are too many  ::) ::), clean them and put better oil and grease on them, I considered most of my reels like a precious tool to enjoy this hobby and want to have them on the best condition for another day of fishing.
well some of my friends know my new reel-maintenance hobby withing the fishing hobby and started to give me their reels for a cleaning and lubing job.
most of the reels I have opened and serviced are all well covered by AT and others so, no reason to post anything on all this time on this forum, but recently one of my guys brought me a BNIB all school Shimano triton Mark III-s ...like I said, Brand new, never used on all these years.

seems like the owner saved it on his shelf and sold it, or was a forgotten item on a fishing store or I dont know, my friend found it on a sunday morning fleamarket near to his home (here in Baja, Mexico) and got it for really cheap, I said to my friend that this could be a collector item but he wanted it serviced and use it anyway.

I really not much technical on names or part numbers, also my english is not that good, so I will post the pictures mostly for you guys to check the reel and I will post a small comment on a picture I considered necessary, and also for future reference if any other person have one.

this is a really straight reel, not different to many star drag reels, it reminded me a lot to those daiwa sealine 50h, almost same graphite body, steel rings, drag stacks a bit different, tho.

well, here are the pictures.

really odd find on a street fleamarket, BNIB reel.

never put on a rod, made in Japan

small reel but plenty of line capacity for inshore fishing

grease was old that it was almost as solid as old kid clay, but metal parts on the interior showed no corrosion at all

the gear sleeve was shiny and clean

the drag stack, some old grease and dark oil.

main bearing on the drive shaft, I've never saw a bearing with those pinch on the sides to keep the shields on place, like this before, old technique maybe?

sticky canva drags, my friend wanted to fishing like that for 2 or 3 times before ordering new carbontex drags.

dog and spring

cleaned the old grease and oil on the main gear

same procedure on the pinion

these are all the parts cleaned and waiting to dry out before putting new grease and oil.

new grease on all metal parts

installed the main gear

then the canva drags cleaned but no greased

new grease on metal parts on the left side place

and few drops of corrosion X on the bearing

look at this steel ring?  damn!! you can even used it as mirror

it looked really nice and all, but now its really protected from the Saltwater

and now its installed on the side place

repeat the same procedure on the other ring.

then install spool and the handle side place on the body and put bit more of grease on the shaft

add the bearing

install all the parts shims, washers, etc the same way the came out, install the star

and your done,

now this reel is really better protected to be used on saltwater than it came out from the factory.
this is a really nice and strong small reel, Im pretty sure it was a hit on those years.

The Baja Guy

steelfish

fist time of this reel on the water my friend caught a nice 15# WSB on a 4oz jig.(forgive me the face cut, he's shy)

hes very happy with the serviced reel that he recommended me with some other guys.. dang, I better start charging LOL
The Baja Guy

alantani

great post!  if i haven't sent you out a wrench already, send i a pm with your address and i'll send on out. thanks!  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

hurt locker

Great Job!!!! Beautiful reel.  That is a  thrust bearing and it equalizes pressure on the drag plates. Notice the 2 cone washers sitting under the thrust bearing.

steelfish

- thanks Hurt_locker for clarify that bearing for me

- Alan, thanks buddy, I didnt knew you send those wrenches out, if is one of those you sell it would be a pleasure to have one, thanks, Im sending you my US addy

The Baja Guy

Bryan Young

Nice.  The internals so look like a Daiwa Sealine reel.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

basto

Steelfish
I noticed you say on the last line of your first paragraph that this reel is like the Daiwa 50h and they both have graphite bodies.
I might have misunderstood you, but I think you will find they both have alloy frames and sideplates.
regards
Basto
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

Shark Hunter

Good Job on that Tutorial Steelfish! ;)
That reel is a Gem!
Life is Good!

Bryan Young

I was mostly looking at the pictures.  It's hard to read the print on my phone.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

redpaulhus

Does anybody know of any modern or aftermarket handles that fit these reels ?

Inspired in large part by this excellent tutorial and the 2-3 discussions on here re these reels, I snapped one up on fleabay (just missed out on a very sweet one, got outbid in the last minute, but was able to grab one that still looks good for very short $ yesterday).

But I strongly suspect I'm going to want to upgrade the handle...
Many thanks,

Red

steelfish

Well I returned the reel back few days after the 1st post on this thread but I can ask my friend to bring me the reel and try some newer daiwa, shimano and penn handles

Btw thanks for your kind words
The Baja Guy

redpaulhus

Quote from: steelfish on March 08, 2015, 06:35:20 AM
Well I returned the reel back few days after the 1st post on this thread but I can ask my friend to bring me the reel and try some newer daiwa, shimano and penn handles

Btw thanks for your kind words
no need to trouble your friend - I will take a micrometer to mine when it arrives so we can compare it to some more recent common gear sleeves - I'm just already salivating at getting my hands on the reel :)

theyuckyone

Very nice tutorial.....got me inspired to go into my closet to revive my old Triton Mark lll. They were my work horses back in the day. Just curious was anyone able to find a after market handle?

Thanks

basto

Quote from: theyuckyone on June 27, 2015, 03:37:35 PM
Very nice tutorial.....got me inspired to go into my closet to revive my old Triton Mark lll. They were my work horses back in the day. Just curious was anyone able to find a after market handle?

Thanks

Hi
Just wondering what took the place of your Mark 3. I can`t think of a better reel. Unless of course you needed high speed or more line capacity?
Basto
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

theyuckyone

Basto,

Just got caught up on all the "bling" having the lastest and greatest! I pulled out my 3 Mark III's, planning my winter project.

BTW has anyone found a aftermarket handle that would fit the Mark III? I looked at the Torium, Baja Special, 113h all for nada

Thanks