DAM Quick 330

Started by fsrmn, February 14, 2015, 10:47:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fsrmn

What keeps the spool on the shaft. There are little brass pieces on the spool shaft but I can't get them to expand to hold the spool on. Am I missing a spring? How does the button on top of the spool come out? Went to the DAM quick website, www.dam.de , got mamarized by thier weapons of seduction  :o and realized I couldn't read german. Mikes reel repair has a schematic but it really doesnt show what I need.
Not all fishing is done with rod and reel.

Shark Hunter

The Dam Quick Master will be right with you! ;D
Mr. Fred Oakes. The Master of the Universe! ;)
Life is Good!

foakes

No big deal, fsrmn --

Likely one of 3 things:

Corroded or tweaked copper axle spool catches

Missing or mashed spring (tiny and between the ears within the spool axle inside through slot)

Needs to be cleaned with something like lacquer thinner -- blown out -- a drop of oil -- see if the spring is active

The catches are part #100113

The spool axle is part #100528

If you cannot get the spring free and active -- best to just replace the entire axle, which includes everything as a unit

Let us know how you fared, and if you need any parts, let me know

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

fsrmn

Looking with a magnifying glass I can't see a spring between the copper pieces.  They move freely. There looks like a stub on each where a push spring might fit. So it looks like the spring is missing. There is a shaft assembly on ebay for $15, or can I just get a new spring?

foakes

My recommendation would be to replace the complete spool shaft assembly.

I have never been able to punch out the tiny roll pin successfully -- then get it back in place without everything becoming loose or falling apart afterwards.  And that is the last thing one needs when fishing.  And if you get the slightest burr on the shaft, roll pin, copper catches, slot edge, -- believe me, it will operate poorly, at best.

I'm thinking the Gnomes in the Black Forest assembled these -- and they are good so long as you don't mess with them -- and you clean them periodically, then apply a drop of oil.

If you would like to try and find a spring -- you might get it working OK.

Or I will send you a new complete shaft assembly -- N/C.

If you wish to go this route, PM your name & mailing address.

Post some pics when you are completed with the reel.

They are very strong reels.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

fsrmn

PM sent. Thanks for the offer. you are right, I really need to replace the entire piece. I really didn't want to pay $15 for a part on a reel I paid $10 for even though it seems to be a good reel. Are the 330, Finessa and 330N basically the same reel?

foakes

On the way, Henry --

I never go by what I paid for a reel, as to whether it is worth fixing or not.

Just because you got a bargain -- doesn't mean you shouldn't fix it to fish it -- take the same reel if you paid $100 or got it free -- is there any difference?

Glad to help -- it will go in the mail Tuesday...

The 330 and the older Finessa are basically the same -- with enough differences however -- to not interchange some parts.

The 330N is a completely different animal, in every respect -- not better, just different.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

fsrmn

Thanks to the part from Fred the reel is working great. Here are some pics of the repair.

not sure what the silver ring is on the handle. Maybe to let it fold in a little

The handle doesn't unscrew. It has to be unclipped from the other side first.

once you unclip the arm you can remove the handle and unscrew the pin from the shaft.

once you remove the shaft the handle side can be removed.

I left the handle assembly together and just cleaned and oiled it. The roll pin holding it was too hard to get out.

I had to use pin pliers to remove the clip to remove the main bearing and pinion

it looked like the un-shielded bearing was pressed on the shaft, at least it didn't move with gentle tapping.

the pinion was thick and looked like stainless steel. I packed the bearing on the pinion.

cleaned and re-assembled everything with a coating of marine grease.

removed and cleaned the drags. coated them with Cal's

scrubbed the body with a little Dawn detergent and done  :)

foakes

If you screw the handle ring one way -- it will allow the handle to be folded in towards the reel body.

Also, by releasing the bail trip lever -- the bail will lay down flat against the body when being stored -- thus relieving all bail spring pressure when not in use.

Good work!

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

fsrmn

It took me a while to figure out how to get the handle off.  How hard is it to remove and re-install the roll pin to completely dismantle the handle assembly? The sludge was so bad I had to pry the side plates off.

foakes

You need a 1/16" or 3/32" punch, a block of wood with a hole drilled in it, and a small hammer.

The pins are generally tapered slightly, and splined on the thick end -- so punch it out from the small end of the pin -- towards the slightly larger end.

At that point, the handle will come off, the round handle nut will unscrew, along with some washers, a C clip, etc.  Then you can remove the main gear and handle shaft from the inside.  Once these are cleaned up and oiled and greased -- you will notice a big improvement.

If you get stuck, let me know.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

foakes

D.A.M. Quick made 6 microlights --

265 Microlite
110N

The 110 is the smallest of the Finessa Series -- that includes your 330 also.

The 110 fits in your palm -- and is built and engineered exactly the same as all 7 in that series.

Your series includes the 110, 220, 221, 330, 331, 440, 550.

The 110, 221, and 331 reels are high speed gears -- 5:1 compared to about 3:1 for the others.

I do have 110s, or any other Quick you might want.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

Shark Hunter

Henry,
Nice little tutorial there brother. It looks like your job might be a little easier than mine. ;D
Fred, is there anything you don't know? You are truly an asset here. I am trying to be just like you, but I can't compete. I guess that's why Sal calls you The Master of the Universe. Other than that funny little game, you are making good on it. ;)
Life is Good!

foakes

Daron --

There is plenty I do not know -- just ask my wife!

And when it comes to reels, we each have certain types or brands we are competent with.  For me it is the Penns, Quicks, Mitchells, Abus -- and a lot of the metal spinners from the 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, and 90s. 

I love the history, marketing, and evolution -- of the tackle industry. 

Of course I work on nearly everything from Shimanos to Shakes -- but many times, I run into learning curves that I am on the wrong side of.

For many of the newer reels, a lot of the folks on this board are really experts -- unlike myself.

We all have our various talents -- that is what makes Alan's Board so interesting -- and the best resource of its kind anywhere in the world.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

Rancanfish

Hi Fred,

I just now figured out the procedure you were describing for releasing the bail /spring for storage. I'm going to run out to the garage and release the one on my 550 too.

I say too because I just picked up a dirty forlorn 440 at a garage sale. Dirty brown instead of black.  I was going to get rid of it but I just spent an hour getting it clean behind the ears. The bail moved like it was filmed in slow motion before cleaning, but now I have good snap to the return.

Is there a posted 440 tutorial?  I found two washers stacked on the gear /clicker under the spool and thought it odd to have two on top of each other. Is that the drag system on these?
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.