DAM Quick 330

Started by fsrmn, February 14, 2015, 10:47:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

Hi Randy --

The washer arrangement is typical, if you are talking about the brass metal ones.

Sometimes folks get these mixed up over the years -- if you don't have a schematic, I will post one later this evening when I get back home.  Let me know, no problem.

Tutorials for a 440 are the same as a 330, 331, 220, 221, 550, etc.  The 330 and 440 share the same bodies -- just different size spools and rotors.

If by chance, you are missing any washers or drags -- I have plenty.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Rancanfish

EDIT:  I just figured out how to get to the actual drags. In both the 440 and 550.

Having experience only with conventional reel service,  I was looking for a 'stack' of some sort I could readily see.

Do you have carbon fibre drags for these in a stock Penn part # /size?  Or is a smoothie what you use?

I was surprised to say the least on the mini drag size dimensions.

The 440's retainer ring must have a trick for reinstallation too huh?
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

foakes

Hi Randy -- you can adjust a CF to fit -- then grease with Cal's -- performance will increase.

Or you can go with the old smooth Resistex with asbestos -- I have those as NOS.

In the old days, drags were typically smaller than now.

But they worked OK -- and still will.

Drag technology has improved greatly in the last decade or two -- I think thanks in part to forums like this, and folks like Alan who have pioneered new drag concepts that manufacturers have now adopted.

Just pop the keeper ring off with a pick -- keep your hand over the opening -- these are second cousins to free flying dog springs.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Rancanfish

You were maybe watching me look for it under the table?   ;D  I got it back together anyway so my education continues.

Next step will be gathering the courage to pull handles/side covers/shafts and gears. Another day soon.

The washers I was referring to originally were found between the spool and clicker gear. The 440 had two that looked like the drags, and the 550 had a fiber and a brass washer there.

I don't have any cf drags except 113h ones.

Also, is there a spool upgrade from plastic to metal on the 440/550?

Thanks, by the way for all the info.

foakes

Hi Randy --

No spool upgrade to metal on the 440 or 550.

Only large reel with metal spool is the 270 old green Super.

The 330 and 331 can have a metal spool upgrade if you use the old metal spools from the Finessa Series.

Most every spinning reel in the world has a few weak points -- in my opinion, the exceptions would be the Penn SS series and the ABU Garcia Suveran.  Most of us know how good the Penn SS series is.  The Suveran is possibly the strongest and best engineered spinning reel ever designed by any manufacturer.  4 sizes --1000, 2000, 3000, 4000 -- all using the same body -- just a strong reel capable of handling all 4 different size spools. Unbelievable engineering -- simple, dead solid, over built where it counts.  These are the older made in Sweden reels from an earlier era -- not some of the new editions with the name Suveran.

On your Quicks -- pop off the handle using a 1/16" punch on the keeper pin -- then get into the side casing, and main bearing.  clean and eliminate all of the old, hard grease.  Regrease and oil using modern grease and oil, replace the drags -- and you are good to go.

If you would like some of the original NOS resistex asbestos drags -- PM your address, and I will send some out to you tomorrow.  Let me know what size reel model numbers.  I can also send some brass discs if needed.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

Rancanfish

Fred,

I found my drags in perfect condition, though they were oily.  Thanks for the offer though.  I will eventually measure the drags and figure out which CF to order.

I'm going to spool up both with 20# and try some shore fishing.  The plastic spools should be good enough anyway for what I'm doing.

Both reels are smooth running little beasts.

foakes

Great, Randy --

If you get stuck -- let us know.

Good fishing!

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

scorman1

OK Fred,
Been following this thread and noted that the drag on my 440 is sticking when really cranked down when fishing for kings last week. Wanted to examine the drag discs, but can't figure a delicate way to remove the star type retainer clip. The spool is plastic so I can't lever a screw driver w/o buggering it up, so was curious what the best tool/technique to remove the retainer clip.

Stew

foakes

Stew --

Just happen to be working on a 221 for a friend -- on my bench now.

This old reel had a damaged and bent rotating head, and a cracked spool -- all from improper shipping -- plus a ton of axle grease.  I am replacing the spool with a slightly different one that has the easier copper spring ring retainer.

Just ease an old knife blade under the star-spring retainer -- then when you get just a little movement -- use a fine blade screwdriver.

Ease the screwdriver blade under the retainer -- then twist the screwdriver -- do not pry against the spool.

It will pop right out.

Best drags for your larger Kings would be CF greased with Cal's.  Go ahead and burnish the brass discs -- they will be just fine.

Find the closest drags from Penn or Smooth Drag -- then set up an arbor in the chuck of an electric drill -- and just use a file to shape down to the right diameter.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

foakes

Done...

This is an old DAM Quick 221 -- fairly rare.

High speed 5:1 version of the 220.

Longer crank handle for more torque, Steel Worm Drive, Bronze Main, Oversize BB -- little smaller than a Mitchell 300 -- 3 times as strong, IMO.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

scorman1

Quote from: foakes on November 11, 2015, 10:13:40 PM

Just ease an old knife blade under the star-spring retainer -- then when you get just a little movement -- use a fine blade screwdriver.

Ease the screwdriver blade under the retainer -- then twist the screwdriver -- do not pry against the spool.

It will pop right out.

Thx Fred, I figured where you were going on this.
That retainer was squished so tight, that I couldn't even get a jewelers pick under any tab corner.
I would have slipped  some fishing mono under a prong and pulled up to dislodge.
I'll wedge something under there careful not to bugger the plastic spool.

I have been experimenting with 1.0mil teflon sheet cut into discs for my Mitchell 782 fly reel drag, whose fiber washers have deteriorated.
I made two punches on the lathe to fabricate above. I can post photos if anyone has interest in how to do this.
I need to pull the reel apart to check how it stood up to over 2 dozen king hookups last week (sadly season is over).
There used to be an old guy on eBay with tons of Mitchell parts and he claimed he had enough NOS parts to build dozens of those 782s, but his website got hosed...haven't seen him since.

Stew

alan weng

Hi,

I recently lost one of auction - D.A.M.fishing reel 339 on ebay, please see the attached, can someone here help to introduce this monster? I have never seen a D.A.M. fishing reel like this.

Alan from New Zealand

Jim Fujitani

Alan,

Since no one has yet responded...

Anytime you see the unusual extended spool and bail on a spinning reel, that it is a reel designed to cast for distance rather than used for regular angling. 

Distance casting competitions were more common 30-50 years ago.   

Brewcrafter

Alan - I believe this other recent thread here on the forum is with regards to this exact reel that you are inquiring about, and has some good information. - john
https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=36187.0

Barishi

About the 330, could a 330N use a Finessa 280 spool? The metal spool will be less likely to fail compared to the plastic.