Does anyone recognize these parts?

Started by FatTuna, February 21, 2015, 09:00:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FatTuna

Hey guys. So I bought a used upgraded jigmaster. The reel came with an Accuplate frame which I thought looked really good. However, the inside had some nice surprises. The gears I believe are a Newell stainless set. The spool I'm not sure about but I don't believe that it's made by Penn. The drag washers are something unusual that I've never seen before. Here are some pics:

Shark Hunter

I came across some washers like that in a 114H. They look like paper. I threw them out.
Life is Good!

Tiddlerbasher

Probably a gasket material - Replace with carbon fibre and you're good to go.

fIsHsTiiCkS

The gears we would need more pics of as I would just be weary of them being the ones they sell on ebay. Also, definitely replace the drags and the spool is most like an accurate spool.

Alto Mare

Those are smoothies, by smoothdrag.
I purchased them by the dozen when I customized kits from JVariance in the past. Those were good at the time, I used them myself and I was happy with them.
We now know that Carbon Fiber is it, but a few still like those for colder climates.
I still have a bunch in a box somewhere.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

FatTuna

fishstiicks, are the Newell gears being sold on Ebay fakes? I'll post up some more pics of the gears in a bit.

I have a bunch of 500 carbon fiber drag washers in a box, I just didn't know what those things were.

I think the spool probably is an accurate. It looks different in person than it does in these pictures.

fIsHsTiiCkS

Quote from: fatstriper on February 21, 2015, 11:30:23 AM
fishstiicks, are the Newell gears being sold on Ebay fakes? I'll post up some more pics of the gears in a bit.

I have a bunch of 500 carbon fiber drag washers in a box, I just didn't know what those things were.

I think the spool probably is an accurate. It looks different in person than it does in these pictures.

Not that they are fakeas, just that an eBay seller has a similar looking gear! Just to tell the difference between the two.

foakes

Sal is correct --

Smooth Drag & Carl Newell.

This color was SD -- I still have hundreds in various sizes -- mostly 500, 140, 112, 113, 49, etc.

They worked well -- and still do -- just not nearly as good and forever lasting -- as the CF greased.

Looks like a solid reel.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

FatTuna

Thanks Fred. I like it a lot too. I'm going to reassemble it this afternoon.

FishStiicks, I misunderstood what you meant because I didn't know what gears you were referring to. There is a guy on Ebay selling Newell gear sets for Jigmasters for around $26 per set. I was thinking about buying some.

Bryan Young

The one in your hand is much better.  Clean it and stick with it.  I haven't seen one newell gear strip out yet.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Keta

Quote from: fatstriper on February 21, 2015, 06:19:57 PM
There is a guy on Ebay selling Newell gear sets for Jigmasters for around $26 per set. I was thinking about buying some.

In the past these were not worth the money you'd get for scrap, get the PRO Challenger gears if you want quality....and you get a SS spacer with them.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

FatTuna

The Newell gears aren't worth scrap? I've never had a set of aftermarket gears before so this is all new to me.

I'd like to try out some of the PRO Challenger gears eventually.

Keta

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

FatTuna

So the global tackle gears are not Newell? I'm confused. In the listing it says Newell gear set but they are pretty cheap. I was a little skeptical.

The gear I have looks very similar to the one in that listing.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Qty-2-Sets-Newell-Main-Gear-and-Pinion-Gear-ratio-5-1-series-200-300-400-/191349771407?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c8d55cc8f

Keta

They are made for globaltackle (probably in the PRC) and fit a Newell reel, they are not Newell manufactured gears.

Mark Twain