Quantum Accurist 30 AR bearing service and rebuild

Started by LiveNfish, February 25, 2015, 05:14:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LiveNfish

This is my first post. I am in high school and have been fishing most of my life. A few years ago i began to get serious about fishing and I like to tinker. That's pretty much how I ended up here. I prefer saltwater fishing but i also do freshwater this reel did double duty for a while. I fixed this reel before and when i was done did something really stupid and saw how much pressure the AR bearing could take. Bad idea stripped part of the rotor. So put it on a shelf for about a year and decided to try to fix it today. (didn't want to spend any money on it)

My first idea was to glue the pinion gear to the rotor with epoxy so i wanted to service the reel very well before doing this. In the end that wasn't the solution but i'll show you what I did to service it first.

It takes down like just about any standard spinning reel the part that's a little tricky is the AR bearing however the design isn't to crazy and is one of the easier AR bearings to service that i have dealt with

so as you can see first remove the three screws that hold the bearings and pinion gear in place keep in mind with this reel the Anti-reverse can be switched on and off

Take the retaining plate off

everything slides out easily try not to loose the small spring attached to the plastic piece it helps the on/off anti reverse switch snap into position when changed. A little corroded it was dunked in salt water once which is when i did the initial repair on this reel about a year ago

Take it all apart and clean the individual parts

pop out the rollers i then cleaned the plastic housing gently with soap and water and the rollers with a solvent

I then packed the open bearing at the bottom of the pinion gear with penn grease

Then i cleaned the rest of the parts and began reassembly

Now it gets a little harder put the open bearing at the bottom then the sleeve the AR bearing grabs onto the put the plastic cage around the sleeve. Lubricate with your choice of reel oil and put all the rollers back in carefully

now work the outer sleeve over the rollers. once this is done it is all down hill from here

Now on goes the plastic piece that is responsible for turning the Anti-reverse on and off it should actually be flipped over the opposite way from the picture you will see this correctly later

now the last bearing and the aluminum piece go in the aluminum part needs to be under the bearing. It will cup around the bearing so that the edges of the black are visible around the bearing

put the retaining plate back on and connect the spring

I greased the gears and put them back in place

my rule is always try the cheapest and easiest solution first so i reassembled the reel as normal and really cranked down on the nut that screws onto the pinion gear then i tested if the partially stripped rotor would hold not by using my hand this time. so i tied my line to a post in my garage cranked down the drag to full and it held.

And on this site anything without this final step wouldn't fly. This reel will most likely become a loner reel as i have an abu garcia orra s and a penn spinfisher ssv that are in a similar size range. On another note i would absolutely recommend this reel to someone. I got mine for 50$ when they started making the new generation accurist the drag is really good and the reel is very sturdy. I have a second accurist which is a size 10 which is use for ultra light bass fishing. I have caught some huge bass carp and catfish on that little reel. Just don't be stupid like I was.

Took me about 5 minutes fighting this brute to get it in on 6lb florocarbon. I caught him on a tiny topwater popper about 2 inches long. I upgraded to 10lb braid after that.

sharkman

Did you have any problems with the PB blaster gumming up?

LiveNfish

Bryan Young

Did you use BP Blaster to remove the rust and corrosion from the needle bearings? 
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

LiveNfish

yes it was for the needle bearings they were in ok shape but that stuff helped a lot i have used it on a bunch of reel parts because i ran out of brake cleaner and carburetor cleaner