SS Newell Sleeves

Started by Cortez_Conversions, February 25, 2015, 03:28:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluefish69

I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

speedwagon2

I am in for at least 3 when you make the 200-400 series.
Speedwagon II

joel8080

Oceanside,California

Cortez_Conversions

I have one 500 series sleeve left. I won't be making another run for a while, so get it while you can!
Visit: cortezconversions.com
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.-Sal

Frank

200-400 series, 3 please.
Frank. Retired. Life long fishing and boating fanatic.

Newell Nut

Quote from: Cortez_Conversions on August 10, 2015, 06:30:11 PM
I have one 500 series sleeve left. I won't be making another run for a while, so get it while you can!

Count it sold. I still need a dozen of the 300 series when done.

Cortez_Conversions

You got in Dwight! Thanks!
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.-Sal

handi2

I need 3 for the 300 reels please.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Cortez_Conversions

Just so we are all clear, I haven't even started the 200/300/400 series sleeves. There are a few projects ahead of them.

Cortez_Conversions

Dwight has a few prototypes to test. The new sleeves will fit all 200/300/400 series reels except the older P series with the 4 stack drag. These are the sleeves with the pressed on flange.
How many of you would be interested in those? Dwight, can you chime in with what we discussed?
Thanks everyone.

swill88

tgorman

Team work makes the dream work!

Newell Nut

The sleeves are the usually superb machining from Tom for a perfect fit. They will fit all Newells starting with the no letters, G, C, S and late model Ps for 200,300 and 400 series.

They will fit the original P but the recess in the bottom of a 4 stack drag is a slight issue. Solutions are to replace the old recessed gear with a newer model for one. Another idea that I am planning to test since I have found that the delrin under the gear with Bryan's 5 stack is a great set up. What I am going to do is use Tom's sleeve on and old P 4 stack by filing the ears off of a standard drag washer and place this under the recessed gear with a .031 delrin to fit into the recess of the gear.

I will test it today with scales and then test it fishing Thur.

Newell Nut

Got a late start on the test today but tried the sleeve in the old 4 stack arrangement and it worked great until I ramped up to 20 lb of drag and the dog started slipping. Will try to figure that out tomorrow and will test a 3 stack arrangement gear set tomorrow as well.

Update:
I found that the style of the old P dog was designed to fit the old 8 point sprocket and it does not lock into the 10 point sprocket well. Newell later modified the dogs with a sharper point and those dogs fit Tom's 10 point perfectly as well as Keta's dogs that he has made for me.

The dog on the left is from the old P 4 stack and the shape of the end for the old 8 spoke sprocket did not fit well in the new 10 point. I put the newer Newell dog in its place for the new gear sleeve and it worked perfect. I used the .031 delrin and left the CF in the gear recess and after assembly I made several runs on the drag set a 20 lb and no issues. No problem with the sleeve but only with the old P style dog. The one pictured on the right was made by Keta and it also locks into the new sleeve nicely.

K.I.S.S.

I would like to be in line for 4 of these