alan tani @ alantani.com fishing reel repair rebuild tutorial Grandad's old fishing rod
Reel Repair by Alan Tani
July 11, 2020, 02:43:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Grandad's old fishing rod  (Read 11274 times)
harryk3616

« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2015, 02:50:37 PM »

That is one thing I have held onto over the years. I still have the same rods and reels I fished as a kid.
Mainly Pflueger and Daiwa Spinners. I have an old Cardinal on a Fenwick Rod hanging in the garage. That was the Cream of the Crop back then! Wink
    hi   daron        grew up in florida as a kid,  fished mitchell  304 and 300's . after i came back to new york  i graduated to  the zebco cardinal spinners #4 and #6   love them, never a problem
Shark Hunter

The Rogue of the Seven Seas!

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2015, 05:18:31 PM »

I'll post a pic when I get home. I think this one actually did belong to my grandpa. My Uncle and him were always trading reels.

Life is Good!
txangler81

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2015, 08:13:05 PM »

Well I think the reel was an eagle claw reel looking on ebay I found two brown eagle claw reels that look like the green spinfishers. Asked my Grandad and he didn't have a clue what it was he thought it might have been purple. lol

Dustin
txangler81

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2015, 08:31:35 PM »

scratch that I found a zebco reel that looks just like the one that was on it. It is a zebco 37XAL.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/281610776677?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
I think I will try and get this one. Fred thank you very much for the offer. As far as the rod goes does anyone have any tricks to getting the two pieces apart.
Thanks
Dustin
Marcq
Sensei

« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2015, 11:31:25 PM »

As far as the rod goes does anyone have any tricks to getting the two pieces apart.
Thanks
Dustin

Some ice for 30 min and having a good grip(rubber gloves) as done it for me in the past

Marc..
foakes

Sierra National Forest

« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2015, 06:40:20 AM »

Ice will likely work -- just depends on how long it has been stuck.

In severe cases (metal ferrules) --

Above and below the joint -- wind 3 or 4 layers of duct tape on each side of the joint.

Get 2 pair of vice grips -- adjust them carefully so that the glass does not compress -- just the duct tape.

Try and drip a little lubricant like penetrating oil or regular oil into the joint for a few hours.

Then carefully manipulate the vise grips in opposite directions.  This has always worked for me with the toughest stickers.

Of course, clean up the joints with "0000" steel wool and very fine emory cloth tape -- clean everything up, and a little candle wax will prevent this in the future.  The residue from the duct tape will come off with a little solvent.

Looks like a nice reel you found -- good luck on the auction.

Best,

Fred

Self-worth is how you value yourself. It’s not based on what others think of you or the things you have (or haven’t) accomplished—it comes from within. But it’s easy to forget that our worth isn’t determined by outside forces -- each of us sets our own price.

In life, be flexible, willing to listen to others, willing to change your mind based on your good judgement -- that is how progress is made, and new horizons are discovered.  When the winds of change blow -- A flexible limb moves and thrives -- a stiff and stubborn limb just snaps.
Newell Nut
Firearms Group

« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2015, 04:07:32 PM »

I like working on grandpa rods. A guy brought one to me today with bad threads but the guides are good so all this will get is rewrapped guides to keep it old looking but will have epoxy on the threads where there was none before. The wood handles looked great.
txangler81

« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2015, 07:47:34 PM »

I think the old wood handles look cool wouldn't mind having some one day can they be found to fit on any rod, or is it only specific rods that have them
Newell Nut
Firearms Group

« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2015, 01:33:44 AM »

You can actually buy new wooden handles, burn them a little with a torch for color and they look cool. They are made mainly for solid blanks which are skinnier and this keeps them from getting to large. Just imagine the size of a wooden grip on 3/4" graphite butt or a 1" butt.
I actually have a vintage rod waiting for the right guy. Needs a bit of work of course but would be a cool old rod. It is about a 30 lb class. I have another one that is about 80 lb class too which is a real meat stick. I have an old St Croix too that is pretty strong.
txangler81

« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2015, 08:51:57 PM »

that's sounds cool
Reel 224
Jersey Devil
Firearms Group

New Jersey

« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2015, 07:39:23 AM »

Dustin- Have you been able to free up the two piece yet? If not, try some WD-40 on the joint and let it set for a while you can apply it every hour or so after that settles for a few hours try it. Are you looking to keep the rod period correct? If so I would love to help you out with a refurbish of the old timer. I'm located in NJ if you want to ship it and trust that I won't keep it on you Cheesy Just kidding. So you have some options now.

"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."
steelfish
the Baja Guy
Sensei

Sea of Cortez

« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2017, 03:35:36 PM »

Here is another grandpa rod I did for a friend here and it is an old TT and the handle had been chopped off. Ray fishes them one and loves the old grandpa rod that went camo. My knife making buddy turned a piece of Brazilian hardwood down to make the new handle.

hey Dwight awesome resurection compadre .. really nice but not a surprise coming from you

I was offered to trade some of my fresh water lures for a really old true temper rod 4540, I onle saw it on pictures and wooden grips look in good shape, reel seat is all greenish by oxidation and guides are shot, but looks like a nice restoration project
yours just gave me a lot of ideas .

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: