New Shimano Torium HGA

Started by drewsung, March 06, 2015, 01:08:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

drewsung

Can someone who has one take it apart and post some photos?  I like everything about this reel except for the single dog.  I want to see what it looks like and how hard it would be to make this thing click.  I don't trust a single ambassador style dog.

johndtuttle

Quote from: drewsung on March 06, 2015, 01:08:16 AM
Can someone who has one take it apart and post some photos?  I like everything about this reel except for the single dog.  I want to see what it looks like and how hard it would be to make this thing click.  I don't trust a single ambassador style dog.

That single dog is simply a back up to an AR bearing. Certainly a spring could be easily added to mod the dog to give you more piece of mind if you could stand the noise.

Dunno if the reels are available yet.

MarkT

They're out. Lots of places to buy one at the Fred Hall Show.  They're a lot narrower then the old ones.  Spools the same, they now have a one piece frame so the left side is much thinner.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

docjun

Just about to get a Torium 16 HGA as a back up reel, has anybody  used one? Kinda hoping for some feedback or issues since it's a new model. Thanks.

drewsung

Finally got a hold of a new Torium 16HG.  Checked it out at the Fred Hall show and it looked good except for the fact that there is 1 ambassadeur style dog.  The Shimano guy at the show said they learned their lesson on the gold Trinidads and older Toriums (ARB rusting out and ambassadeur style pawl failing under heavy drag loads) and since this model had a sealed ARB everything should be good.  It can't cost that much more to put in an additional stud for another silent antireverse pawl - I believe this is to differentiate the Trinidad A over the new Torium.  Anyway, I don't buy that this "sealed" ARB eliminates the possibility of antireverse failures - I think it just prolongs it.  Time will tell.  In the meantime, I was looking for a way to spring load the dog.  Started with the old Trinidad DC parts TGT1303/TGT1304 and they went in without any mods.  The setup is a little different as there is no top cover over the pawl.  This design uses the main gear to keep everything in place.  I'm going to fish it and see how it holds up.  There might be a better spring solution....so far it seems to work.  Let me know what you think.

johndtuttle

Interesting that they are going all in with seals...Is there a seal on the handle side too??

Still, should be a fine reel for the money, though I might prefer the internals of a Fathom.

drewsung

Not much of a seal on the handle side (no rubber gasket like in the picture).  There was a layer of grease on the habdle side.  Much better seal but saltwater is still going to get in there.

drewsung

That picture sucks but the handle side looks pretty much like the Trinidad except there is no bearing there.  2 bellvilles and a washer then the roller clutch inner tube.

CapeFish

o dear, that seems like about 10 screws to undo just to get to the spool bearings. And the same problem as with the new Trinidad, you can't fill it to the brim and still fit a thick leader.

Jeri

A step backwards in the name of 'progress'!!!!

Cheers from sunny Africa,

Jeri

Bryan Young

Is there anything holding the anti-reverse pawl in?

I'd be worried that it may come pop out if the reel gets bumped.  With the Abu-style pawl, it would stay in place because it's secured to the racket by the pawl's fins.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

drewsung

Check out the first picture.  The main gear keeps it in place.  I bent the curly part of the spring to keep it from trying to slip.  So far it is working.  I was worried about the spring coming off too but so far I haven't had an issue after I bent it. 

fIsHsTiiCkS

Internals look very similar to the original torium. What other changes did they make besides seal ARB

drewsung

Pinion assist bearing, got rid of the dirtanium drags, smaller body, smaller spool, new handle, different coating on body.  Something like that

CapeFish

Quote from: drewsung on March 30, 2015, 03:25:52 PM
Pinion assist bearing, got rid of the dirtanium drags, smaller body, smaller spool, new handle, different coating on body.  Something like that

Why are they changing all the modern reels into darn little bass reels?