New Shimano Torium HGA

Started by drewsung, March 06, 2015, 01:08:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johndtuttle

Quote from: ggadea on August 14, 2015, 12:27:18 AM
Quote from: johndtuttle on August 10, 2015, 05:06:48 PM
Quote from: ggadea on August 10, 2015, 01:05:26 AM
Hi friends, im writing from Uruguay, sorry for my bad english.

Do these reels have centrifugal brakes? Can you post some photos of the cast control mechanism?

Thanks!!

Other than the right side cap of the pinion bearing there is no other type of braking feature.

So this reel it´s not recommended for surf casting?

Many people use them for casting but the reel does make it a little more challenging. You have to protect your thumb and use it as a casting brake to control the line.

Jeri

Hi Ggadea,

Many folks here use the Toriums for surf casting - HOWEVER - the rod needs to have a very fast tip action to cope with the speed of the reel. Softer low spec carbon rods, and those made of glass fibre will never generate the speed to be able to use the Torium and faster reels.

We have found with some of the latest rod designs, that the very high strength carbon construction actually need such fast reels to make them most effective. If te rod generates very high sinker speed at the point of release, then the reel needs to be fast enough to deliver line to match that speed - hence the use of some of the Torium and faster reels.

Hope that helps.

Cheers from sunny Africa

Jeri

ggadea

Quote from: Jeri on August 14, 2015, 07:26:26 AM
Hi Ggadea,

Many folks here use the Toriums for surf casting - HOWEVER - the rod needs to have a very fast tip action to cope with the speed of the reel. Softer low spec carbon rods, and those made of glass fibre will never generate the speed to be able to use the Torium and faster reels.

We have found with some of the latest rod designs, that the very high strength carbon construction actually need such fast reels to make them most effective. If te rod generates very high sinker speed at the point of release, then the reel needs to be fast enough to deliver line to match that speed - hence the use of some of the Torium and faster reels.

Hope that helps.

Cheers from sunny Africa

Jeri

Hi Jeri!! thanks for your response.

I have many carbon rods and here they are very expensives but i think in this country do not reach best quality rods.

I think I would go for a daiwa saltist 20 star drag for surf casting fishing.

Cheers

newport

Quote from: ggadea on August 14, 2015, 12:27:18 AM
Quote from: johndtuttle on August 10, 2015, 05:06:48 PM
Quote from: ggadea on August 10, 2015, 01:05:26 AM
Hi friends, im writing from Uruguay, sorry for my bad english.

Do these reels have centrifugal brakes? Can you post some photos of the cast control mechanism?

Thanks!!

Other than the right side cap of the pinion bearing there is no other type of braking feature.

So this reel it´s not recommended for surf casting?
. it's not ideal, but if you're proficient and experienced with casting, then it can work. When I am throwing big baits and heavy lead, I use a shimano tld 15/30 star drag reel with straight, good quality 30lb mono (no shock leader). It has no magnetic and centrifigul cast control feature. Again, I use penn 320gt2s off of jetties. For real distance, i have an akios 656ctm or an abu 5500. the akios has both mag and centrifigul breaking, which I spool with 15 - 20lb mono with a minmum of 30lb /40lb shock leader. I never use the mag on it and rarely even need to use the centrifugul breakes either. It all depends on your ability as a caster.

Jeri

"Hi Jeri!! thanks for your response.
I have many carbon rods and here they are very expensives but i think in this country do not reach best quality rods.
I think I would go for a daiwa saltist 20 star drag for surf casting fishing."

Hi Ggadea,

If you are using a reel that small - consider the original Shimano Torium 14, lovely little rel, and it has brake block for centrifugal braking. Probably has a faster speed capability than the Diawa, and more robust for surf conditions.

Cheers

Jeri

madday

does it has full metal body frame?
i mean that right side plate (gear case) and main frame is all metal...??? looks like the side plate is graphite... but i am not sure from the picture...  ???

thanks....  ;)

handi2

It's all aluminum and made very well.

I just bought the 16HG because it's on sale. The roller clutch in these reels is much better than the ones used in the older Torium and Trinidad reels. It's taller with thinner (more) needle bearings. It's rubber sealed on both sides. Inside and out.

Just grease it up on the outside like we always do and the clutch will last until it wears out.

I don't think the spring loaded dog is needed in these smaller reels. I'll find out with a big amberjack!! It will be fun trying...
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Cman67

I just purchased a new Torium 30HGA and plan to use it strictly as for bottom/wreck fishing. I fish off the Mid New Jersey coast usually in 60-225' and have it spooled with 40# braid and 50#mono backing. This reel holds A LOT of 40# braid.  :)

Has anyone used this reel for other than surfcasting? I'd appreciate any replies provided.

Tight Lines!