Custom insert for the 114H & 115L

Started by Alto Mare, March 07, 2015, 05:38:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fIsHsTiiCkS

Sounds like this insert will be a great addition to my VERY slow 9/0 project. All I really need is 35-45lb of drag so this is perfect.

Tightlines667

Quote from: Shark Hunter on March 08, 2015, 12:36:57 AM
I'm with you Sal,
There is no way a stock Penn gear can take that kind of Pressure for an extended period of time.
70lbs of drag is about twice what a stock 14/0 can put out. There is no way an average individual can hold onto that for longer than a couple minutes.
I can see this set should only be used with Chui's Gears if you plan on buttoning it down.
That was a great test!
John,
Hold your horses brother. ;) The Big Dogs are coming! ;D

:)

All this talk of big drag numbers out of conventional reels is just getting me a bit excited...don't mean to 'put the horse in front of the cart' or anything.

Just to clarify... stock gear sets for both the 12 and 14/0 are stainless now, I think they could certainly handle these numbers, its the other parts on the reel I would be concerned with.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

BMITCH

Sal/Daron,  I agree! What I'm talking about is if you wanted to drop these into a standard set of brass gears for the folks that DONT want to invest another $65+ for gears this would give you that extra comfort of knowing IF YOU NEEDED more you could.!
luck is the residue of design.

Tightlines667

Quote from: BMITCH on March 08, 2015, 12:52:33 AM
Sal/Daron,  I agree! What I'm talking about is if you wanted to drop these into a standard set of brass gears for the folks that DONT want to invest another $65+ for gears this would give you that extra comfort of knowing IF YOU NEEDED more you could.!

I foresee pictures of failed stock gear sets down the road.  Hopefully no injuries will accompany the failures.  I think if the gear set remains stationary it can take much higher loads, then if it is moving.  I.e. do not crank under loads exceeding design specs, and the gear may hold up. 

Yet another reason why I have always favored the lift and pump technique when fighting big fish in deep water.  It is easier on your gear.  I think many of the failures and damage I see in larger reels are due to people fishingbthem out of specs, and/or cranking or dropping the reel when it is under high load.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Alto Mare

I hear you John, but I believe this reel could do much better than stock from Penn. I know that the Acetal at the bottom and one on top is helping making this reel very smooth, a smooth reel doesn't fail.
We have a mean fishing machine here, we should all be proud.
Who needs a 700 or 800 dollars reel when you have this. I can't wait to take my 6/0 narrows on my next trip, when able to do so.

Keep in mind, the beauty about this latest upgrade is you could make this reel a 10Lbs reel, 20Lbs, 30Lbs and so on, or if you're like me a 70Lbs reel ;).
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

RockyR

;);)

BMITCH

luck is the residue of design.

RowdyW

RockyR, now let's see it in a modern disc/caliper setup. ;D     RUDY

Three se7ens

I like the disc brake setup, drum brakes are miserable to service ;D

RowdyW

EXCELLENT!!!! ;D ;D ;D    Hey Sal, how about that cutaway?

Alto Mare

Yes that is cool and I'm familiar with the disc brakes, I replace my own, but I wouldn't be able to cut my own :-\.
As Adam mentioned, you could keep the drum brakes ;D.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Shark Hunter

Somebody is good with the photoshop.
It doesn't matter if its drum or discs. I do my own like Sal said.
Brake jobs are the biggest rip off ever.
Life is Good!

Three se7ens

So heres the deal with these kits:  Im going to change the design a little on future runs to make manufacturing them a little easier, and more consistent, so Im going to sell off this first batch at a reduced price.  Replacement parts will always be available, but on a special order basis.  Also, these may be a little tight on the gear, so it may take a little fitting.   

I have 2 sets left Im offering at $30 each plus shipping. 

borchcl

Adam, are there any of these left?
Charlie