Shimano Sienna - Help with Assembly

Started by vinnyland, March 08, 2015, 06:24:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vinnyland

Hi all!!!

So taking apart this Shimano Sienna 2500FD that I picked up. I performed a standard take down (removing the spool and rotor) and when assembling I noticed these two washers (See Attachment).

I looked over the schematics and can't seem to figure out where these two washers go. Any ideas??? Here is the schematic.
http://fish.shimano.com/content/dam/shimanoweb/fish/sac-fish/en/techdocs/current-models--2-/SIENNA_FRONT_DRAG/SN2500FD

vinnyland

Nobody?  ;D

I've studied the schematic and cant seem to find where these two go without taking off my side plates and I haven't gone that far.

johndtuttle

Quote from: vinnyland on March 08, 2015, 08:47:45 PM
Nobody?  ;D

I've studied the schematic and cant seem to find where these two go without taking off my side plates and I haven't gone that far.

This sort of tiny shim is not shown on the schematic but are added during assembly to get tolerances just right. They are used on the bottom of the pinion assembly to tighten up "forward and back" play to improve meshing with the main gear. Sometimes one is also used at the top to shim the rotor to improve line lay/make it tighten just right onto the pinion.

The trouble is that they usually are only noticed when they drop out somewhere and you are never know for sure where they came from. I would try one at the bottom (right next to the gear teeth) and one at the top under the bearing under the clutch. If it feels rough after that you basically have to use trial and error to figure out where they came from. Possibly both at the bottom or top. Put the copper one at the bottom and the stainless appearing one at the top.

Typical spots also include on the handle shafts under the bearings to shim the "side to side" play of the main gear. You'll probably find those when you remove the side plates.

vinnyland

Quote from: johndtuttle on March 08, 2015, 09:35:50 PM
Quote from: vinnyland on March 08, 2015, 08:47:45 PM
Nobody?  ;D

This sort of tiny shim is not shown on the schematic but are added during assembly to get tolerances just right. They are used on the bottom of the pinion assembly to tighten up "forward and back" play to improve meshing with the main gear. Sometimes one is also used at the top to shim the rotor to improve line lay/make it tighten just right onto the pinion.

The trouble is that they usually are only noticed when they drop out somewhere and you are never know for sure where they came from. I would try one at the bottom (right next to the gear teeth) and one at the top under the bearing under the clutch. If it feels rough after that you basically have to use trial and error to figure out where they came from. Possibly both at the bottom or top. Put the copper one at the bottom and the stainless appearing one at the top.

Typical spots also include on the handle shafts under the bearings to shim the "side to side" play of the main gear. You'll probably find those when you remove the side plates.

Thanks Johndtuttle!!!

I'll give it a try and see what happens.

handi2

If you didn't take the main gear out those 2 shims shown go on top of the roller clutch sleeve before putting the rotor back on.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

vinnyland

Quote from: handi2 on March 09, 2015, 12:07:04 AM
If you didn't take the main gear out those 2 shims shown go on top of the roller clutch sleeve before putting the rotor back on.

Thanks Handi2!!!

So its goes maybe like this??? I am using this schematic: http://fish.shimano.com/content/dam/shimanoweb/fish/sac-fish/en/techdocs/current-models--2-/SIENNA_FRONT_DRAG/SN2500FD
1) Pinion Gear
2) Bearing
3) Roller Clutch Assembly
4) Rotor Ring (aka Roller Clutch Sleeve?)
5) 2 Shims
6) Rotor Assembly

As of now...I have the 2 shims between the pinion gear and bearing. I figured the bearing needed something to sit on instead of pressing up against the teeth of the pinion gear. But I'll take a closer look at my rotor assembly and see if some sort of washer imprint was there.

johndtuttle

Quote from: vinnyland on March 09, 2015, 12:16:03 AM
Quote from: handi2 on March 09, 2015, 12:07:04 AM

Thanks Handi2!!!

So its goes maybe like this??? I am using this schematic: http://fish.shimano.com/content/dam/shimanoweb/fish/sac-fish/en/techdocs/current-models--2-/SIENNA_FRONT_DRAG/SN2500FD
1) Pinion Gear
2) Bearing
3) Roller Clutch Assembly
4) Rotor Ring (aka Roller Clutch Sleeve?)
5) 2 Shims
6) Rotor Assembly

As of now...I have the 2 shims between the pinion gear and bearing. I figured the bearing needed something to sit on instead of pressing up against the teeth of the pinion gear. But I'll take a closer look at my rotor assembly and see if some sort of washer imprint was there.

Go with what Handi2 is saying for starters. The bearing has it's own receptacle that should prevent it from binding on the teeth of the pinion. Just be sure to be gentle when you first turn it over. I usually slowly turn the rotor by hand to feel if it is ok before rapid turning with the handle.

vinnyland

Okay, so I took the reel apart again and placed the shims in under the rotor. No difference as previously installed but better knowing it is installed properly. Thanks everyone!!!

johndtuttle

Quote from: vinnyland on March 09, 2015, 01:03:03 AM
Okay, so I took the reel apart again and placed the shims in under the rotor. No difference as previously installed but better knowing it is installed properly. Thanks everyone!!!

All's well that ends well. :)

Keep an eye peeled on your line lay. If it stays the same too you are in good shape. If it starts stacking near the top or getting light on the bottom of the spool then...may need to adjust the shims.