Main Menu

Kilwa pics

Started by JTKilwa, March 13, 2015, 08:44:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JTKilwa

Hi All

I have tried to attach a picture of one of our primary target species here in Kilwa, Tanzania - GT or Giant Trevally. Not sure what you call them in the US but Latin name is Caranx Ignobilis. One of the strongest fish in the sea, we fish for them with surface poppers. Great sport and seriously strong fish. I hope the picture comes out. If not I'll have to get some advice on how to post pictures.

Best

JT

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Bryan Young

Very nice.  We call them Ulua in Hawai'i. Great fight, and good eating.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

mike1010

That is one tough looking fish.

Bryan Young

the face of a GT always has that look...oh crap, I cannot believe I got caught look.  lol

GTs, if you look at them in the water while you are fighting them, you will notice that they will wedge their bodies about 90 degrees to the line and they swim sideward back and forth.  So much fun.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

fIsHsTiiCkS

I need to venture out of cali to fish. You guys have much more variety! Nice catch!

BMITCH

Nice fish! Thanks for the picture
luck is the residue of design.

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Dominick

JT. Welcome and thanks for posting that photo.  I looked up the fish specifically by the name you used.  We catch them down in Mexico and they are called Jack Crevalle, from Nova Scotia to Uruguay and the West Indies they are called Horse-eye Jack, from New Jersey to Brazil African Pompano.  They are also called Threadfin Trevally.  FYI they have 3 different Latin names, Caranx Hippos, C. Latus, and Alectis Ciliaris.  This information is from Peter Goadby Saltwater Gamefishing Offshore and Onshore 1991 Cornstalk Publishing.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Tightlines667

Dominick,

Bit of misimformation there.  Fish common names can confuse and muddy the taxonomic waters, especially when speakimg of widely distributed species.  These guys are only one species with one scientific name...

Caranx ignobilis

Check out my friend at the Hawaii Institute of Marine Biology's site for sum good general info...

http://www.hawaii.edu/himb/ReefPredator/Ulua.htm

I have spent some time assisting the Department of Aquatic Resources on a Tagging project, and am actually listed as having tagged the second most GTs of anyone.  Most of my catches were on commercial gear though. 

John

Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Dominick

John its only misinformation if I express an opinion and I am wrong.  That is why I cited Goadby's book.  I have no reason to believe that the information in the book is incorrect, i.e. the Latin names are from different naming authorities in 1766, 1788 and 1829.  All I can go by is what I read.  I am not interested enough nor do I have the time to cross reference the information.  So one of us is wrong or both of us are wrong or both of us are right.  The only real truth is "I know that I don't know."  Dominick

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Tightlines667

Quote from: Dominick on March 13, 2015, 07:34:09 PM
John its only misinformation if I express an opinion and I am wrong.  That is why I cited Goadby's book.  I have no reason to believe that the information in the book is incorrect, i.e. the Latin names are from different naming authorities in 1766, 1788 and 1829.  All I can go by is what I read.  I am not interested enough nor do I have the time to cross reference the information.  So one of us is wrong or both of us are wrong or both of us are right.  The only real truth is "I know that I don't know."  Dominick

:)  :D

Not trying to be critical or anything.  There are alot of species of Jacks, and especially in the Pacific, but there is only one

Ignobilis
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Dominick

Actually the quote "I know that I don't know" should be attributed to Socrates.  He posed it as an argument that knowledge is never really acquired.  Dominick

WCFLA

JT,

That's a nice GT! We have a similar fish called a Jack Crevalle. They get pretty big and fight hard as well. Keep the photos coming, Brother!

Regards,
Dan

WCFLA

Oops. Maybe I should have read y'all's replies before I hit "post" lol
Quote from: WCFLA on March 14, 2015, 01:04:47 AM
JT,

That's a nice GT! We have a similar fish called a Jack Crevalle. They get pretty big and fight hard as well. Keep the photos coming, Brother!

Regards,
Dan