Shimano TTS drag washer

Started by Fishead, December 06, 2010, 10:09:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fishead

Wondering if anyone uses any grease on the drag washer on these reels? also,is there any kind of upgrade that can be done to these drags.Thanks
If you're not fishing,you're wishing you were!!

alantani

on these older reels (if they are the ones i'm thinking of), shimano should already have greased carbon fiber.  have you had a chance to take a look? 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Phinaddict

If you're talking about the tank like, bulletproof single speed aluminum Tritons, I used to have a 30 and a 50wide. Both had canvas drag washers.  Man, they were heavy, but talk about solid. They were solid.
Dawn at smoothdrag might be able to get you a Carbontex washer. She is here:

http://alantani.com/index.php?board=33.0

Cool thing about the 30 is you can unscrew and remove the  top aluminum cross brace and you got yourself a topless reel, Hooya!
The Two Rules of Success:
1. Don't tell everything you know

Fishead

These reels have a white washer with no factory grease on them,I guess one could call it canvas as refered to in the other reply.The drags are smooth but if I decide to keep them,I would like to upgrade the drags for longevity.These reels certainly are tanks as stated by Phinaddict.
If you're not fishing,you're wishing you were!!

alantani

we would have to find you a sheet of carbon fiber, then hand cut a drag washer.  figure $30-40 for a drag washer, maybe even more. 

Phinaddict

Hey Alan,
I don't know if the OD and ID dimensions would allow it, but I see Dawn has replacement Beastmaster 30/50 and 50/80 drags.
Might be possible for one of those to either drop in or be trimmed to fit.
Gene
The Two Rules of Success:
1. Don't tell everything you know

alantani

captseanb

Could you tell me how to remove the black "cooling plate" from the tts 80w to get at the pressure plate and cloth drag washer ?

thank you

alantani