Dual ring side plate conversion

Started by pyros46290, April 09, 2015, 04:46:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pyros46290

i traded some parts i had kicking around to a buddy for some parts he had kicking around. ended up with a long beach 259 side plate, as well as some other goodies. i planned on it being the left side plate for my 501. I am having an issue with the rings i have for it, i think they may be incorrect and i need to find the correct rings. . .

Inner ring is off the 500, and the outer part of said ring (visible from exterior of reel) seems to be too wide - there is a gap between the under side of the ring and the plate. it seems as if it was a "lower profile" ring it would sit flush underneath.

Outer metal ring has a tapered seat for the screws, no big deal except the taper goes all the way through so the backside of the holes is flared out and prevents this ring from sitting flush against the plate.

what rings do i need to get this plate to work on my 501?

thanks

RowdyW

You my be mixing 500 & 500S parts. A lot of differences between them.

Doug

I did this with a 501with a 259  non handle side plate. You will need the inner and outer non handle side rings for the 1/0 senator costs aprox $20 new. I had no problems direct screw in change . Does nothing but improve looks  and maybe a little extra protection on the non handle side. I tried first to find good used rings but wound up with new ones. Hope that helps .The standard jigmaster rings will not fit properly   Doug

Doug

Just as an aside the long beach 259 also uses the 1/0  senator side rings as an original part  the part # s 28-110-I and 28-110-O the change does make for a sharp looking reel.  Doug

pyros46290

that is exactly what i needed to know about the rings. thank you

what screws do i have to use? the 1/0 senator screws, 259 screws or can i reuse 500 screws?

Doug

I just reused the 501 screws.  I think the 259 calls for a different screw # but the 500 screws worked ok for me.   Doug

Doug

on second thought if you buy new rings then  pick up the 259 screws I am not completely sure what screws I used .  screw heads may be different   Doug