50th Ann Penn International

Started by BigJimbo, April 09, 2015, 07:09:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigJimbo

After my dad passed my mom gave this to me after being unsuccessful on E-Bay. The honchos at Penn gave this to dad for his several decades of sales, service and using their gear. It's been in the closet since 1982 and I cleaned it up fairly well. Number 372 out of 440. Seen them going for $1000+ but I'm not that greedy.
Offers at $750 or?

Bryan Young

Wow, that is a work of art. 

Dan, are you not collecting 50th Anniversary Penn Reels?  This is one you cannot pass up.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Tightlines667

Beautiful reel!  & this is the real deal, complete new package.  I wish I had the money available, as one of these is on my list.  I'm sure you will make someone happy. 

Brian,
I believe Dan has one already, but not sure if one is enough?

Thanks for offering the reel to AT members.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

broadway

She's a beauty and won't last long if you put it in the for sale section.
Did these come with a print, catalog and coin like the 75th anniversary?
Your dad must've been good at what he did for a gift like that.
Good luck with the sale,
Dom

coastal_dan

I did get one, but $750 is an amazing price!  Do not part with it for less, otherwise hold onto it.  

The #440 is kind of bogus as you'll probably hear from Randy and Mike; they continued up a bit higher but who knows if it was consistent and in numeral order.  As we all know Penn can be inconsistent at times  :D

Someone pick this up!....It's becoming tempting and under no circumstance should one person have two.

Jimbo - Did you have the cloth bag for it as well?  Also, if you have the small manila bags for the tools I would put them back in and keep it as close to together as possible.  Nice to see the plaque unused as well.  Agreed, listing it in the For Sale section should really help you sell it.

I agree with John - Thanks for making it available to AT members, they are very special reels.

Dom - No coin but the inside lid has a matching bridge logo glued to the felt.  The tri-fold is proving very hard to come by - all I have is some copies. I have been keeping my eye out for one.  These were not featured in the 1982 50th Anniversary Catalog as the 'Anniversary' Senators and Jigmaster were.

Edit: Just checked some of my notes Mike has #474 I believe and Randy use to have one up in the #800's.  I have #33.
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

BigJimbo

No cloth bag or coin. Dad was pretty good about keeping sets together so not sure if there ever was one or maybe he needed it for something else not realizing it would be a collectible. I don't this the 50th had a coin. It does have all the hardware and oil tube. Dad was hardcore Penn fisherman so there wasn't a yellow-fin out there that had a chance. He painted his own iron and always had bags of free lures and stuff for the boat captains.
I do have several other Penn's from the 60's that I'll get photos this weekend. I have my dads, grandfathers and his friends tackle boxes from 50's -60's. Some old hardware still in original wrapper, some "reel" old fly reels with original line still on. Mounted some of it on the garage wall for a tribute to dad. His Fenwick rod and some plaques I made for him hang there. The Freedom plaque has just a sampling of the pins he collected in his travels selling sporting goods for 50 years.

Tightlines667

Big Jimbo,
Those are pretty cool.  I am sure there are some members that would be interested in origional boxes, catalogs, wrenches, bags, reels from years past.  Do you happen to have any first year International reels (I.e. 1967 20,30,50,80..early 70s 6,12,130?).  Or any complete (box, etc...)NOS pre 1970 penns?  Pictures would be great.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

coastal_dan

Thanks for sharing these stories with us!  Very cool tributes to your father.  Love the wood creation with the Yellowfin!  What part of the states are you in?
Dan from Philadelphia...

BigJimbo

In Oregon. Moved up from So. Cal. 30 years ago.

Penn Chronology

Help, someone get me out of here :o :o :o

The temptation is too great!!!

I want this, the price is as fair as it is ever going to be, but,,,,, how many 50th Anniversary reels should one person have??

I have to pass :'( :'(

I may never forgive myself.

I am going to the antiques sections and doing a long post to get my mind off this deal :( :( :(               Damn, I need a drink :-\

Wait a minute, this is the antiques section... :o I think I need two drinks......................... :D

coastal_dan

Haha! 12 year Redbreast is helping me take my mind off it...
Dan from Philadelphia...

Shark Hunter

I can't wait to see some more pictures Jimbo. Thanks for sharing with us.
Life is Good!

BigJimbo

working a deal with a member for the reel so it's off the market. I figured at $750 it would fly and it did. I'm just happy it's going to a good home.  Sorry, Penn Chronology, didn't mean to drive you to drinkin'.

Penn Chronology

Quoteworking a deal with a member for the reel so it's off the market. I figured at $750 it would fly and it did. I'm just happy it's going to a good home.  Sorry, Penn Chronology, didn't mean to drive you to drinkin'

Not to worry about driving me to drink. It is a very short drive. :P :P

Congrats on the sale.