More reels/tackle coming out

Started by BigJimbo, April 13, 2015, 11:51:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigJimbo

I was able to find some pics I took a few months ago. I still need to get everything displayed properly and labeled. The 2 Penn reels are identifiable but the fly reels I need to get the data on them. I have 4 tackle boxes filled to the brim. I'm keeping my freshwater trout gear but the salt water and steelhead gear is going. There is 5 or 6 rods going too but hard to photo.

coastal_dan

Wow, must be fun going through that stuff.  Pay attention to jigs and lures as well, some can be worth some money just like the reels/rods.
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

Penn Chronology

QuoteI was able to find some pics I took a few months ago. I still need to get everything displayed properly and labeled. The 2 Penn reels are identifiable but the fly reels I need to get the data on them. I have 4 tackle boxes filled to the brim. I'm keeping my freshwater trout gear but the salt water and steelhead gear is going. There is 5 or 6 rods going too but hard to photo.

Always a lot of fun to find a stash of old stuff and many times, mixed in with the all stuff, are a few special items that may have value or historical significance. The two Penn reels are the mid 1960's. Catalog 28B is a 1965 box catalog.

BigJimbo

Quote from: Penn Chronology on April 21, 2015, 02:27:58 PM
QuoteI was able to find some pics I took a few months ago. I still need to get everything displayed properly and labeled. The 2 Penn reels are identifiable but the fly reels I need to get the data on them. I have 4 tackle boxes filled to the brim. I'm keeping my freshwater trout gear but the salt water and steelhead gear is going. There is 5 or 6 rods going too but hard to photo.

Always a lot of fun to find a stash of old stuff and many times, mixed in with the all stuff, are a few special items that may have value or historical significance. The two Penn reels are the mid 1960's. Catalog 28B is a 1965 box catalog.

Sounds about right, I was 10 and started ocean fishing with dad about that time with my older brother. These haven't seen water for at least 20 years. Not sure whether to clean them up or try to sell as is. Thank you for the review and info.

Penn Chronology

QuoteThese haven't seen water for at least 20 years. Not sure whether to clean them up or try to sell as is.

Jimbo,

The thing to do with the Penn reels is to first remove the line. People do not want to buy old line and leaving the line on hides the spool, creating doubt in the buyer. I would remove the old line, clean and lube the reels, make sure all functions are correct and sell them as ""ready to go catch fish"" reels.

The other stuff you might want to make up  package deals to sell some stuff in lots.

Good Luck with the sales.

BigJimbo

Quote from: Penn Chronology on April 22, 2015, 07:38:36 PM
QuoteThese haven't seen water for at least 20 years. Not sure whether to clean them up or try to sell as is.

Jimbo,

The thing to do with the Penn reels is to first remove the line. People do not want to buy old line and leaving the line on hides the spool, creating doubt in the buyer. I would remove the old line, clean and lube the reels, make sure all functions are correct and sell them as ""ready to go catch fish"" reels.

The other stuff you might want to make up  package deals to sell some stuff in lots.

Good Luck with the sales.
Thank Penn I appreciate the advice. Short on time lately and I want to get Dad's stuff organized to do just that, sell in groups of stuff. Already got guys wanting his iron jigs.

BigJimbo

On the old fly reels I see them in antique shops all the time with the old line like it makes it worth more or something. Would it be better to strip them too?

Penn Chronology

QuoteOn the old fly reels I see them in antique shops all the time with the old line like it makes it worth more or something. Would it be better to strip them too?

Good question. The way I see it, if a reel has line on it that you think is worth saving, save the line onto a plastic spool or some kind of gizmo that will store the line. Then clean the reel and advertise the reel with the vintage line, or photo the reel with the line off, so the buyer can see the spool's condition and put the line back onto the reel.

There are lines that can be as collectible as the reel. Old heavy linen Cuttyhunk lines can be valuable, I guess certain Fly lines can also be worth saving.

BigJimbo

Quote from: Penn Chronology on May 01, 2015, 12:47:25 AM
QuoteOn the old fly reels I see them in antique shops all the time with the old line like it makes it worth more or something. Would it be better to strip them too?

Good question. The way I see it, if a reel has line on it that you think is worth saving, save the line onto a plastic spool or some kind of gizmo that will store the line. Then clean the reel and advertise the reel with the vintage line, or photo the reel with the line off, so the buyer can see the spool's condition and put the line back onto the reel.

There are lines that can be as collectible as the reel. Old heavy linen Cuttyhunk lines can be valuable, I guess certain Fly lines can also be worth saving.
Thank you for the sage advice. Give me something to do at night. I know one of the fly reels has braided line. I'll look at it closer.