Penn US Senator 113N

Started by Lumberjack93, April 16, 2015, 08:15:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lumberjack93

Say, I was going to buy a Penn US Senator 113 N.  This is the new name for the old "Baja Special" reel that Penn made.  It has an all aluminium frame, double SS dogs, SS main and pinion gears, carbon fiber drag washers, etc.

I was wondering, does anyone make a SS Gear Sleeve for this reel?  

Here is the schematic from Penn.  

http://s7d5.scene7.com/is/content/purefishing/PENN/Manuals%20-%20New/407-US113N.pdf

Part number for the Gear Sleeve is:  1184333

I did call Penn and this Gear Sleeve is different from all other 113's.

Thanks

MikeD

Tightlines667

The answer is no.
This reel (or any other newer Senator models with this style sleeve) should not need a Stainless Steel gear sleeve.  The stock sleeve is solid at the top, and utilizes a handle retainer nut.  The sleeve will not be subject to the problem of rounding off where it attached to the handle.  Any penn reel with the characteristic black handle retaining nut cover will have a stock sleeve with this style end, and does not need  SS upgrade.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

handi2

Andy is right. The top of the gear sleeve is square and fits tight.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Tightlines667

Quote from: handi2 on April 16, 2015, 10:00:48 PM

Andy?

My name is John

:)
Hope springs eternal

handi2

Quote from: Tightlines666 on April 16, 2015, 10:10:37 PM
Quote from: handi2 on April 16, 2015, 10:00:48 PM

Andy?

My name is John

:)

Sorry John..!
Gulf Breeze, FL

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

RowdyW

I agree with Andy too. Hey, whose Andy?? ???

Lumberjack93

Well that answers that.  I didn't realize this sleeve wouldn't be subject to rounding off.

That is excellent.  I can't wait to buy one of these tanks.

BTW, thanks John for the informative reply. 

Mike D.

alantani

there actually have been a few that have rounded off.  i can only imagine the torque placed on the gear sleeve.  interestingly, my stainless steel gear sleeve DOES fit on the chinese 113hl.  you need the older style handle nut and set screw, but that's it!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Alto Mare

I've noticed on a couple of reels I had a hard time removing the handle nut, this was after stressing the reel though. Some also stripped and I had to re-tap them. These, along with the gear sleeve below would help quite a bit:
http://www.fastenersuperstore.com/products/490326/acorn-nuts?pid=17521

We have guys here that could get these done for us in stainless steel, if we wanted them, those would also have a removable ratchet.
It would sure make an excellent upgrade on older penns...maybe one day :-\
http://alantani.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=13836.0;attach=11892;image

All reels should have them.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

steelfish

just an update for this thread in case someone read it without knowing about Tom's new sleeve and complete antireverse assembly for the Baja Special / US senator

in this link you will find an upgraded SS sleeve / ratchet and dogs for those reels

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=19745.0

The Baja Guy

handi2

I just finished one where the top squared section that the handle fits on had broken off.
Gulf Breeze, FL

Tightlines667

Quote from: handi2 on January 15, 2017, 12:06:25 AM
I just finished one where the top squared section that the handle fits on had broken off.

Wow...

Thats abuse.  Almost sounding like Alan's SS ungrade is not a bad option.  Be nice if Scott's updated to make this an obvious option for folks shopping to US113 parts.  Or as origionslly stated, there is probably no need to upgrade.

John
Hope springs eternal

handi2

I sent Tom (Motive Fab) a message to purchase the new SS bridge set and he is out. I need 2 for my reels.
Gulf Breeze, FL

RowdyW

Quote from: Tightlines666 on April 16, 2015, 09:49:59 PM
The answer is no.
This reel (or any other newer Senator models with this style sleeve) should not need a Stainless Steel gear sleeve.  The stock sleeve is solid at the top, and utilizes a handle retainer nut.  The sleeve will not be subject to the problem of rounding off where it attached to the handle.  Any penn reel with the characteristic black handle retaining nut cover will have a stock sleeve with this style end, and does not need  SS upgrade.
Hmmmmm, time to rethink this.