Show off your favorite Lingcod vertical/yo-yo jig

Started by pjstevko, April 20, 2015, 08:37:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pjstevko

Being that I'm new to California and west coast lingcod fishing I'm looking for suggestions on jigs for rock cod and lingcod. I'll be putting together a tackle roll of jigs for my first trip out so post up pics of your favorite brand, model and weight to help me spend some $$$$

Bryan Young

Hi PJ,

The depth of your location you are fishing dictates what rod/reel and tackle I would fish with.

I like near shore (less than 100 feet). 

Artificials:  I use 20#-30# braid main line with 30# leader tied to a 2-4 oz jig (diamond, P-Line, weighted head curly tail,...  About 2'-3' above the jig, I tie a dropper with a rock fly, curly tail grub,...  where my lure becomes a chaser of that lure above.

Live or Dead Bait:  I use 20#-30# braid main line with 4-6 oz sliding sinker that stops at a swivel.   The swivel is connected to a 2'-4' 30# leader that I attach a live (anchovie) or dead bait (such as a whole squid).  Sometimes, I will attached one of those small clip on float right in from of the squid so it floats above the bottom to reduce snags and keeps the squid in eye view from below and above.

Deep water (up to 240 feet), I use the same rigging method as above except I commonly use 50# braid with 50# leader and weights of the lures increase to 6-10 oz depending on wind and drift.  I use the lightest weight possible.

My rods are between 7'-9' long.  I prefer longer rods because my line is slightly farther out than the guy next to me.  I have an 11' rod that I have yet to try on a charter boat...It may be too long.  Will have to try and see though.

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

theswimmer

Come with us on May 22nd and you will learn all sorts of stuff about West coast  rockfish jigging.

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=13604.0

I will post some of the stuff I like to use when I get home tonight.
Lots of us use swim baits and rigs tipped with squid strip's etc..
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

pjstevko

Quote from: theswimmer on April 20, 2015, 10:57:08 PM
Come with us on May 22nd and you will learn all sorts of stuff about West coast  rockfish jigging.

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=13604.0

I will post some of the stuff I like to use when I get home tonight.
Lots of us use swim baits and rigs tipped with squid strip's etc..

I'd love to join you guys but unfortunately that's the week our seasonal firefighters start work and we got intense training all week so no extra time off for me. If it was that Saturday or Sunday trip I'd be all about it since I might end up going that weekend anyway....

Keta

Lingcod are stupid/aggressive and iron in any color works, size depends on depth and drift. I have some large swimbaits I was going to try last year but breaking my hand kept me from fishing as much as I wanted, this year they will be fished. For rockfish I like 1-1/2" grubs in white, motor oil or green.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

LTM

Bryan,

What specific reels are you using with 20-30# braid, and which for 50# braid?

Thanx,

Leo

pjstevko

So far I have a mix of squid, ball and knife jigs ranging in weight from 3-7.5 oz in a variety of colors....I'll post some pics of what I have and let me know if you guys think I'm on the right track

Bryan Young

Quote from: LTM on April 20, 2015, 11:58:06 PM
Bryan,

What specific reels are you using with 20-30# braid, and which for 50# braid?

Thanx,

Leo
Hi Leo,

Don't laugh, but I'm using an Abu 5500C3 and 6500C3 depending on the amount of line that I need on the reel.  For 50# braid, I'm using my ProGear 255.

Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Rancanfish

Why would he laugh?  I use all levelwinds for rock fish.  I've never had issues.  I have a Penn 965 and a couple of narrow Abu's.

Or is that not what you meant Bryan?

I go to the 501's for salmon trolling, 146 and Surfmaster for halibut, 140 and 500 for SF bay sharks.

pjstevco - if you ever get to the SF bay area and want to stop while coming or going,  I'll set you up with plastic swim baits, and 3 and four ounce jig heads to get you thru any trip. ( I pour them all).  And I'll even throw in a bottle of antique Berkeley fish sauce.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Bryan Young

Some of my friend think that Abus are rinky dink reels...to them it feels like fishing with a reel with a wire frame.

Keta

I use 5500s for freshwater salmon fishing, they do not like saltwater.  When I do use them in saltwater they get a good rinsing and cleaning.  Mine all have AR bearings AND AR dogs.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

pjstevko

heres a pic of what I have so far but I've got a bunch in mail as well

Rancanfish

Yeah I use what ever reel I want, whenever.  After all,  if I screw it up,  Mr. Tani taught me how to un-screw it up!

MY absolute favorite thing to do is use a reel too small for the job.  I haven't regretted it yet.  I don't run into the 'big one that got away'.  When I use to salmon fish a lot, everyone that went on my boat would catch big salmon on my rigs.  But, to this day I've never caught one larger than 19 lbs., so I fish with small reels.

When my old friend Sal D. put me on a 30lb delta Striper we were using Daiwa line counter 17's.  

We used to make up alien looking lures, lol.  Every week I'd show him a new alien and we'd have a good time trying them out.  He told me I was crazy when I showed up with a way over dressed jig once.  We proceeded to slam the stripers that day,  and he made me make up a bunch more.  But I digress, sorry.  I miss that guy bad.

Keta

I have my camera and I'm heading to my shop, I will post a photo soon.

Lings will pound a rusty piece of lead filled pipe with hooks on it.  

Rancanfish,
I landed my largest Chinook, 42# and the IGFA 12# class record chum salmon on a Penn 10 loaded with 10# mono.  Come up to Brookings, OR in early October and fish the "bubble", you will catch at least a few salmon in the 30#-45# range with the possibility of one over 50#.

Mark Twain

Rancanfish

Wow Lee,  a salmon that big would tow my Whaler around!

I agree on the pipe lures.  I have a few that a friend gave me.  I laughed when it got nailed repeatedly.