The Jigmaster Project

Started by Rothmar2, April 30, 2015, 10:51:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Hall

Beautiful work, lot of love in them rings, I can't wait to see what you do next.
Thanks for sharing.

mhc

Quote from: Rothmar2 on May 28, 2015, 08:25:25 PM
Thanks for posting those photos Mike. Sweet looking little reels.
Those handles make them look pretty tough. Are they Kolekar's from Alan T?
Have you put Alan C internals in them by chance?
No problem Chris, you did all the work.
The handle on the 500 is an Alan T SS arm and 3/0 Kolekar grip, the handle on the 501 is a stock 24/56 from Scott's or Alan T.
Yes they both have Alan C SS double dog bridge, yoke, jack, 5:1 SS gear sets and the SS spacer bars on the 501. Alan T SS 98-505 gear sleeves on both & the spool on the 500 is stainless - all we need is a SS stand and star.
Michael
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

fIsHsTiiCkS

Man if we could get SS stars going that would be AMAZING! I would be in for 10 easy.

Great looking rings and reels there, the work Chris does is just stunning!

Three se7ens

Quote from: fIsHsTiiCkS on June 01, 2015, 09:07:10 AM
Man if we could get SS stars going that would be AMAZING! I would be in for 10 easy

Ask and ye shall receive. I have a tap for the fine thread, and I found the tap for the coarse thread. And I have nearly 100 drag stars cut. There's a few new designs, and 3 sizes available in each design. I'm working on getting them up on my website and I should have the jigmaster sized stars available by the end of the week.

redsetta

Amazing thread - great work Chris!
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

fIsHsTiiCkS

Quote from: Three se7ens on June 02, 2015, 03:43:12 AM
Quote from: fIsHsTiiCkS on June 01, 2015, 09:07:10 AM
Man if we could get SS stars going that would be AMAZING! I would be in for 10 easy

Ask and ye shall receive. I have a tap for the fine thread, and I found the tap for the coarse thread. And I have nearly 100 drag stars cut. There's a few new designs, and 3 sizes available in each design. I'm working on getting them up on my website and I should have the jigmaster sized stars available by the end of the week.

Adam, you are the best!! Just add it to the order you have in for me already!

Rothmar2

Very excited about the new stars as well!
Thanks for the kind words chaps. Will be back off to work soon, and will hopefully advance things a bit further this trip away, and keep you posted.

Rothmar2

Ok, a bit more to update this thread.

I really liked the look off the double ringed Jiggys where the left plate has been swapped from another model (Penn 155?).
 So I decided to do my own take on it.
Firstly I'd have to skim the left plate to have a flat surface to mount the extra ring on
 Mount the plate in the lathe. Note live centre in tailstock and bolt to lightly press against the plate help keep it in place. An alternative could be to use a drawbar through the hollow spindle.

Lightly skim the landing true

I actually also decreased the diameter of the logo face a little so as to allow for a little more metal thickness around the screw recesses. The ID of the new ring is 61.0mm. So this spigot needs to match.

Nice and flat, originally that face was slightly angled

Here is the new ring, I wanted to maintain the flush mount screws

And it's the same width as the inner ring

Seeing as I had the 5-40 UNC tap and die for the right plate lock screw, might as well make my own SS screws for this new ring. The new shank lengths are about 4mm longer than the stock screws. Fresh off the lathe, with stock screws at top

Hand hack saw in the drive slots

Bit rough now, but will make them more presentable when I get home to my mini lathe
Left plate assembled

And a sneak peek

Next thing will be to modify the ratchet. The slider knob will have to have a height increase, with this new ring fitted, its too fiddly to get at. I will be adding an E-clip, and remaking the clicker in stainless as well.
 Still got plenty more twists to do on this build, will get them up as I go.

jigmaster501

Since you are making rings, could you form a harness lug or something that could be fit into the outer ring so you actually have something to hook a jig to. The unless you have a clamp with a hook holder, you are left with hooking the jig to a guide or the handle or something.

These would be great if they could be mass produced.

Alto Mare

Can't put a price on your custom parts my friend, you do some amazing work.
Not criticizing, just trying to find out if it would work. Couldn't you have made that left ring larger to go over the existing untouched plate?
The inner cut could have been rounded a little. I wonder how that would have looked?
Thanks for taking us along with your projects Chris...good stuff!

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Bryan Young

Amazing.  I like the way the ring protrudes out to protect the bushing and the clicker.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Penn Chronology

QuoteCouldn't you have made that left ring larger to go over the existing untouched plate?

That is a very interesting point. In the past, trim rings were made in many different ways and encapsulating the entire rim was one of those ways.

The Pflueger Templar did that;

The Holtzmann reels made the trim rings the actual frame, rather than just a reinforcing piece of trim;

And Montague covered the entire side rim also;

I believe the mods could be endless.

Rothmar2

Thanks for the interest everyone, and always love the history that gets revealed on the forum now too from the ORCA guys. Certainly would like to just see one of the old Templars for real some day.

JM 501, interesting idea re. the hook lug, I might actually look into it for this build down the track. Like I have said before, I'm not really "producing" these rings in any volumes, but if you would like a set, send me a PM, and we can work something out from there.

Sal, I agonized over the rounded edge on the ID of the solid ring. I could have maybe machined the spigot in a little further, and made the ring a little wider, but felt that it might have encroached too close to the clicker button. If I radiused the ring I made, it would also have crept onto the screw recesses, and could have left a sharp edge here.
The wider ring is an interesting idea, but I would need to start with SS plate about 5/8" thick, which I currently don't have. I've got a 349 project coming up, and was able to use the cut-out from the 6mm plate blanks for the 349 rings, to make this extra ring for the Jiggy. But, your idea would would look very slick! In its current form, it gives the reel a pseudo-senator look.

Bryan, you'll probably lynch me after I do the clicker button remake! ;D

mhc

Inspirational stuff again Chris. That reel is looking like a pretty substantial 500 with those rings - I can't wait to see what you come up with next.
BTW are there aluminum covers on the 6 inch(?) vice to protect the screws while you cut the slots?
Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Rothmar2

Yes Mike, ally soft jaws. Use copper too at times, particularly when rechucking parts on the lathe where I might have given them some finishing treatment, but will use copper in a vice as well.
Don't bother with plastic soft jaws, use-less!