Sticking with old school equipment.

Started by trond_solem, May 06, 2015, 04:50:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Tim

What a cool boat Trond, may it serve you well for many years

trond_solem

Quote from: Big Tim on May 08, 2015, 01:22:22 AM
What a cool boat Trond, may it serve you well for many years

Thanks, and by the way, thanks all of you.
It is a wooden boat and will reqiuire some work every year, but that is part of the joy of owning such a veteran boat. It is 50 years old this year!

Had a trip out yesterday evenng. At a maximum speed of 5.5 knots, it took 50 minutes to get to one of my favorite spots for coalish. Managed to get the rear sail up and pointed the boat into the wind. A bit of adjustment of the propeller pitch and I stayed at the same spot regardless of the wind. Nice!
Got some small coalfish and some big cods (30 lbs) that was hunting amongst the coalfish. Form what I can say, it works well as a fishermans boat i you have time to take it slow on the  way out and home.
On my way home, the wind picked up a bit and the waves got white on the top, but that was no problem. No splashing around like fast moviing GRP boats. I just love it!

Tightlines667

Trond,
How many gph does that little engine burn?  That boat looks like a labor of love.

BTW...LMK if you are still interested in having me ship you that old beat up 14/0, w or w/o the parts to fix er up.  I have been too busy getting customers ready for the Ahi run, I havn't had time to work on any of my own.  I serviced 8-80s/130s last week.

Anyways, I like your boat.  Is there room to run a hydraulic slave, or have a compressor for a smsll chill box?  I have seen a rare few boats here in HI that have similar hull, with the pointy part astern.  I imagine she has a low deraft, but narrow beam.

Thank you for sharing the pictures!

Heres a couple of pics to refresh your memory ( don't mean to thread jack or anything)...

This reel will clean up and function 100%, though there will be some brassing. 
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

trond_solem

Quote from: Tightlines666 on May 08, 2015, 07:40:08 AM
Trond,
How many gph does that little engine burn?  That boat looks like a labor of love.

BTW...LMK if you are still interested in having me ship you that old beat up 14/0, w or w/o the parts to fix er up.  I have been too busy getting customers ready for the Ahi run, I havn't had time to work on any of my own.  I serviced 8-80s/130s last week.

Anyways, I like your boat.  Is there room to run a hydraulic slave, or have a compressor for a smsll chill box?  I have seen a rare few boats here in HI that have similar hull, with the pointy part astern.  I imagine she has a low deraft, but narrow beam.

Thank you for sharing the pictures!

Heres a couple of pics to refresh your memory ( don't mean to thread jack or anything)...

This reel will clean up and function 100%, though there will be some brassing. 

The engine doesn't burn diesel. It produces diesel. .)
There is room or a hydraulic pump in the engine compartment, but that will be for a hydraulic power hauler to help with nets and crab pods.
There is 12V power to the front cabin. I can have a 12Vchill box for food and refreshments there if I want. Chill box for fish isn't neccessary around here. The temperature below deck is the same as the seawater, and that is rarely above 15C even in the summer. In wintertime it is about 2-4C. A largish plastic box below deck is great for storing fish until I am back home.

As for the the reel, I have to put it on hold for a while. The boat and the place in the marina sets me back $6000, so I am selling of vintage cameras to raise money. Can't buy a reel that I don't realy need then. :)

hultis

Wow Trond, that's a beautiful boat! I live in a small fishing village and I know the lovely sound they make. Bet you will have wonderful time during the summer months that are ahead of us. Greetings from Sweden!