Project Penn 704 done

Started by Marcq, May 27, 2015, 05:23:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thorhammer

Fishit 2

I wouldn't even think about using 25lb mono on this reel, braid either - Fireline is a fused dyneema - not a true braid, trust me, after fishing these things for over 20 years Fireline is the ONLY line to use, save the PP and Suffix for newer reels. My 704,710 and 712 are all converted to MPU(bail less) I used the line roller from a Mitchell 406 for my 710z - there is no need for a bail on these reels, the bail springs go and you will only wind up snapping off a lure.
President of the Down Beach High Class Hookers fishing Club.

johndtuttle

Marcq

8)

Quote from: Fishit 2 on May 28, 2015, 04:23:39 PM
I wouldn't even think about using 25lb mono on this reel, braid either - Fireline is a fused dyneema
Would a 30lb 300y Fireline spool  fit in the 704?

Marc..

Fishit 2

Yes, you will need to put a length of mono backing though, can't remember because I buy 1500yd spools of Fireline, in truth there is no need to put more than a 150 yd spool on, fill the rest up with cheap mono. I use that for a season and then I reverse the line and get another year out of it.

If you have a spare spool fill that first with the Fireline then top off with mono then reel that onto your other spool.
President of the Down Beach High Class Hookers fishing Club.

Marcq

Quote from: Fishit 2 on May 28, 2015, 01:31:39 AM

I'm wondering if just upgrading the one dog to SS would help? That might damage the bronze gear though?
I would also like to drill holes in the bottom of the cup, wondering if I can do this with a dremel?

The dogs on the 704 are pretty beefy and they are metal, compared to the 650ss which are smaller and are brass

You can drill holes with a dremel  but a drill press works a lot better

And  easy tools to make, can use it vertically or horizontally 

Quote from: Fishit 2 on May 28, 2015, 10:17:48 PM
Yes, you will need to put a length of mono backing though, can't remember because I buy 1500yd spools of Fireline, in truth there is no need to put more than a 150 yd spool on, fill the rest up with cheap mono. I use that for a season and then I reverse the line and get another year out of it.

If you have a spare spool fill that first with the Fireline then top off with mono then reel that onto your other spool.

Great!!
Thanks, Marc

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Marcq

coastal_dan

Marc - You've inspired me.  Rather than sending mine out for the drilling/painting I'm going to attempt it on my own!  First time for everything...thanks for showing your jig above.
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

thorhammer

Hey folks, what are you painting with that will hold up? I have several SS's and a couple of older Japanse metal reels that could use a spray. Are you baking finish?

Marcq

Quote from: coastal_dan on June 01, 2015, 01:39:14 PM
Marc - You've inspired me.  Rather than sending mine out for the drilling/painting I'm going to attempt it on my own!  First time for everything...thanks for showing your jig above.

Good move, you'll see, it's not complicated,  measure twice drill once, start with a small drill bit, if you're off a bit it can always be corrected with a rat tail file. And use a automatic center punch before you drill
http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=punch
If you paint it, use automotive lacquer paint and let it cure a week

Looking forward to it

Marc..

coastal_dan

Marc - I'm thinking of only drilling the bottom to drain water...any other significant reasons to drill the sides?
Dan from Philadelphia...

Marcq

Quote from: thorhammer on June 01, 2015, 02:22:51 PM
Hey folks, what are you painting with that will hold up? I have several SS's and a couple of older Japanse metal reels that could use a spray. Are you baking finish?

I powder coated mine but you can use automotive lacquer paint and let it cure for a week before putting it back together

Marc..

Marcq

Quote from: coastal_dan on June 01, 2015, 05:14:51 PM
Marc - I'm thinking of only drilling the bottom to drain water...any other significant reasons to drill the sides?

No reason, good choice to only drill the bottom
Are you drilling the 710?

Marc..

coastal_dan

Yeah, I have a 710 greenie project (soon to be blackie, ha).  The 710z will stay stock for now.
Dan from Philadelphia...