World's First 533 3.2

Started by Newell Nut, May 27, 2015, 05:46:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newell Nut

Thanks to Tom for creating the sleeve that made this all possible. Go to Cortez Conversions Tab and you can find the picture of the sleeve. Tom had a little trouble getting the reel to operate but it was just a simple little SS spacer washer under the handle side bearing that caused all the trouble. The reel works perfect. With the sleeve free floating I was afraid that it would get caught half in gear and half out so I used tip top epoxy to fasten it to the degreased spool shaft. This way if I ever want to change it I can heat it with a lighter and slide it off. Due to recent tutorials I am not repeating all those photos and this reel has everything in it that has been illustrated recently.
So I have the only one in existence until Tom makes more sleeves.

Bryan Young

Was there photos of the sleeve area?
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Newell Nut

Bryan , just go to Tom's tab and look for the topic of 533 3.2 and then scroll down. There is a picture of the sleeve. I have it on a rod and spooled for tomorrow.

Shark Hunter

Good work Dwight. I'm sure you will put it on the mango's and snapper soon.
Life is Good!

Newell Nut

Quote from: Shark Hunter on May 27, 2015, 10:40:31 PM
Good work Dwight. I'm sure you will put it on the mango's and snapper soon.
All the credit goes to Tom on this one. I supplied parts to measure and he did all the engineering and machining which is flawless.
Will be playing with the mangos and snappers tomorrow.

Newell Nut

Just another update on this conversion. Last week I got an opportunity in the Gulf out of Clearwater, FL and caught a bunch of red grouper and a very nice gag. After the gag I caught the biggest nurse shark I have ever seen and the reel performed perfectly. I will be building another one when all of my spools return home from Tom. Thanks again to Tom for making this awesome sleeve. I will do a tutorial on the next one.

thinkwahoo

My machinist made a sleeve out of 302 stainless for a 540 3.2 reel that I showed to a few people on the left coast, but didn't get much interest in producing more of them. To me they would make a great grouper, or dropper loop reel.  If you do get a 50 - 70# tuna on the reel would probably handle getting the fish to gaff.

I stayed with the Newell aluminum spool only because the Tib spools are twice as heavy.

Newell Nut

This first one is graphite and doing just fine. Tom has a Newell 533 Aluminum spool of mine that he will be sending back soon and I may use it in a 546 3.2 that I have collecting dust. What I did was use rod tip top cement to put the sleeve on the spool shaft somewhat permanent and removable if I wanted to change with a simple lighter and a taped up pair of pliers.