Garcia Mitchell 600 series

Started by Sledge, May 31, 2015, 07:20:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sledge

Just finished a clean and service on one of these.  The tutorial I found here on AT was helpful, but I also dug up some schematics over on the Mitchell Museum.  I'd like to repost them here in hopes that they may ease the woes of some other intrepid seeker.

Decker

Can anyone confirm that a Mitchell 600 series handle will interchange with a Penn Squidder or Jigmaster Type A handle?

mo65

Quote from: Decker on July 31, 2017, 07:22:16 PM
Can anyone confirm that a Mitchell 600 series handle will interchange with a Penn Squidder or Jigmaster Type A handle?

It sure will Decker, here's my 622's handle mounted on a Jiggy gear sleeve. The Garcia Mitchell handle nut even works...and the Penn wrench(large handle nut hole) will even fit it! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Decker

foakes

The rarest of these reels is one without a crank in the sideplate -- it does not seem to affect function -- just looks lousy, IMO.

Think I might have 6 or 7 of these as complete reels -- all have cracks except one -- and that is just probably because I haven't take a close enough look... ;) ;) ;)

Best,

Fred,
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

thorhammer

Quote from: foakes on July 31, 2017, 08:01:07 PM
The rarest of these reels is one without a crank in the sideplate -- it does not seem to affect function -- just looks lousy, IMO.

Think I might have 6 or 7 of these as complete reels -- all have cracks except one -- and that is just probably because I haven't take a close enough look... ;) ;) ;)

Best,

Fred,

yep, what he said. I have four, all cracked with some grease seepage that stains the plate so it always looks dirty. but a capable enough reel otherwise. the 622 with four rings brings to mind 1/0 Senator.

Decker

Quote from: mo65 on July 31, 2017, 07:50:39 PM
Quote from: Decker on July 31, 2017, 07:22:16 PM

It sure will Decker, here's my 622's handle mounted on a Jiggy gear sleeve. The Garcia Mitchell handle nut even works...and the Penn wrench(large handle nut hole) will even fit it! 8)

Mo, thanks a lot for checking that out.  I bought a Mitchell Riptide conventional handle that I really like for my Jigmaster! The knob is angled, and rubberized for comfort, and it seems like a good length for mechanical advantage against a big fish or heavy weight.

My problem now if that in order to lock that handle on the jiggy sleeve, I need the Mitchell nut, locking piece, and screw.  Do you have any ideas on a simpler way to lock it down?  /Joe

P.S. I'm not a Mitchell guy, so am clueless about how to track down parts.

foakes

Hi Joe --

Look around a bit on ebay and google -- you might find the screw nut and locker.

A complete parts reel might be the best answer -- they are fairly cheap -- and you might need other parts going forward.

I have 10s of thousands of Mitchell parts -- but none for the conventional series of these 600's.

Others may have what you need.

However, if all else fails -- let me know -- and I will rob the parts off of one of my reels -- knowing that it can be replaced later -- in the meantime -- you will have a working reel -- N/C.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Decker

Fred, thanks a lot for the encouragement and offer.   It would be a sin to cannibalize one of your beautiful reels for one of my jalopies :)  I've seen the parts on ebay, but few of them, and the three pieces sold separately.  My current challenge is to find good parts diagrams for the Riptide series on the web.  I found one that is a bad scan from paper and hardly legible.   The Penn world is much easier to navigate  ;D

foakes

On second thought -- (should have been first)...

No use you going through too much trouble, Joe --

Just let me know what parts you need for a 600 series -- and I will take it off of one of these. 

I am sure that I can find the replacement parts in the bone-pile bins, later on, when time & opportunity allows.

And I am not in love with any of these reels -- they just need to be operational tools for folks to use.

In the meantime -- lets get your reel back in the rotation.

Please PM me your mailing address.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

bhale1

Joe & Fred,
I have this Mitchell 624, picked it up in a box of reels at a yard sale.....I wanted the other ones!
If it will help let me know!
Brett

bhale1

Quote from: bhale1 on August 14, 2017, 05:25:46 PM
Joe & Fred,
I have this Mitchell 624, picked it up in a box of reels at a yard sale.....I wanted the other ones!
Brett

Edit.....yay!!!!, Just figured out how to post a pic with my tablet...computer all messed up. It's the small victories sometimes😁

bhale1

Quote from: bhale1 on August 14, 2017, 05:28:22 PM
Quote from: bhale1 on August 14, 2017, 05:25:46 PM
Joe & Fred,
Brett

Edit.....yay!!!!, Just figured out how to post a pic with my tablet...computer all messed up. It's the small victories sometimes😁
[/quote
Although...I don't see the pics in my gallery ???...I'm pretty computer illiterate!

Decker

Fred and Brett,

Sorry for the confusion; I'm off-topic for this thread.    I only began posting here because I was considering using a Mitchell 600 series pancake handle on a Jigmaster; however, I instead bought a Mitchell Riptide handle (4/0?).   This barely legible schematic is telling me I need these three parts to put my Riptide handle on the Jiggy:

http://www.mikesreelrepair.com/content/schematics/Mitchell_Riptide_22C42C6-0___GL.pdf

• 49) handle nut: part# 1066210
  • 50) handle nut locker: 1066211
  • 51) locker screw: 1066212

Hope I got those part numbers right :-\

Where can I get these parts?  Thanks, in advance!

Jerseymic

Off topic a bit also, but for those who are interested, a 112H2 handle fits a Jigmaster perfectly, all you need to do is fit the Penn handle nut to the 112H2 cap, which I did with a 1/16th chisel, and all is fine.

Frank, the photos worked!!!!

Mike.