What drag washers in this reel?

Started by ijlal, December 20, 2010, 09:04:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ijlal

Hi,

My brother, who lives in Finland, sent me an Abu-Garcia GT325 reel. This reel is not available in the US as far as I know. It is a cheaper model level wind for boat use; has no bearings, only bushings; takes 330 yds of 20# mono. Outwardly it looks nicely built with a nice handle knob but in reality, this reel is a piece of junk; the sound that is coming out of my new reel seems to suggest it wont last too long. Anyhow, I needed a reel for light to medium bottom fishing, so it would serve the purpose, and I am happy to get it.  ;D

Here is a link to the Abu-Garcia's UK website showing the reel: http://www.abugarcia-fishing.co.uk/catalogue/reels,767/trolling-reels,776/overhead-gt-series,5105.html

Now, as I always do, I opened it up immediately. The drag stack is unusual in that it has an additional keyed (eared) steel washer at the bottom, i.e. resting on the main gear at the bottom, followed by a regular 3-washer stack. The drag washers are white and seem to be made of a plastic-like material! Can anybody advise me what that material might be?

Thanks!
I live 'fishing'!

kamuwela

ijlal

Quote from: kamuwela on December 21, 2010, 12:13:07 AM
can you post some pics?

Hi,

Thanks for your kind interest; I shall try and find time today to open the reel and take snaps of the washers.

An interesting point to notice is the schematic that came with the reel does not show the extra keyed washer! You may also notice the reel is identical to Shakespeare Arsenal series; it probably is the same reel minus the ball bearings. It probably has the same manual apart from the Abu-Garcia logo and model number, as I quote from the manual: "Your new Shakespeare reel is designed to provide you years...."  ::)

Regards!
I live 'fishing'!

Bryan Young

It looks like identical reels.  Even the handle is identical.

Regarding the drag stack, I suspect that when the washers were installed, it was incorrectly installed.

The white washers are probably teflon.  It's a common dry drag washer material used in many reels.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

ijlal

Nice to hear from you Bryan!

Is it possible that there is a flaw in the design, and the lowest (additional) keyed washer is placed either as a spacer or to provide a plain area for the drag washers to ply on (in case the surface on the main gear in contact with the drag washers is not planed properly?)

Another question is, can we grease the washers if they are teflon? I can understand there is no need to grease teflon washers but I am concerned about the steel washers; these are the ones I want to grease lightly with Cal's grease, as I doubt they would be of any exceptional quality on a low priced reel.

Thanks!
I live 'fishing'!

Bryan Young

Ijlal,

Thank you.  You have some very interesting questions.  I'm no expert, but it is my understanding that teflon washers are intend to function dry.  I am not sure what effect adding teflon drag grease will have on these washers as I am still waiting to test it.  I've greased my brother's Shakespeare reel has teflon washers.  I greased them and they seemed smoother, but he has yet to get a fish on to test it out.  I would put a very thin coat.  Enough for you to see your fingerprint and that's it.  Anything more may be excessive as I had read somewhere.  Quite possibly on SmoothDrag's website, but I cannot seem to locate it the source.

Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

the eared metal washer at the bottom of the gear is probably optional.  as long as the remaining drags are properly oriented, they should function properly.  if you have calipers, measure the drag washers and we can find a match for you.  let's get these reels switched out to greased carbon fiber.  this material is good enough that it is worth the effort. 

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

ijlal

Hey Alan,

Thanks a lot buddy. For now, I will persevere with the stock washers, or if I dont like the feel, I would replace with suede leather, which should last long enough; I shall only be using this reel for bottom fish such as smallish snappers and groupers, breams, and emperors. Eventually, I would measure the size, get your advice and order from Dawn.

Best regards!
Ijlal
I live 'fishing'!

alantani

let's start getting you converted over to greased carbon fiber.  once guys see how well your upgraded reels work, your business will probably start booming!

toygtr

Has anyone got the part number for the washers in the GT325 yet?
I want to change mine to carbon washers but need the number to order them.
Ive contacted a Abu Garcia australia dealer but havent heard a thing. Also searched the net for part numbers or schematics but can't find a thing on them.
Can anyone help?

Keta

Quote from: ijlal on December 21, 2010, 02:14:19 PM
Eventually, I would measure the size, get your advice and order from Dawn.

I'd leave the stock washer in, then give Dawn at Smooth Drag a call and get the right part ordered.  Greased carbon fiber drags are far superior and I put them in any new reel I get.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

toygtr

Quote from: Keta on March 01, 2012, 03:13:16 PM
Quote from: ijlal on December 21, 2010, 02:14:19 PM
Eventually, I would measure the size, get your advice and order from Dawn.

I'd leave the stock washer in, then give Dawn at Smooth Drag a call and get the right part ordered.  Greased carbon fiber drags are far superior and I put them in any new reel I get.

Yeah I have contacted dawn on ebay but can't get any part number or schematics for the reel at all.

alantani

we can probably figure out something if we can get the dimensions of the four drag washers.

toygtr

Ok ill pull it apart and have a look. Will have to borrow some calipers from work and have a measure.

Ken_D

I have a schematic request in, to Purefishing UK. It's here.