Mitchell 1090 Big Game Reel

Started by Tightlines667, June 07, 2015, 12:42:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

Mike --

Spent a few hours combing through the archives of old schematics, dealer manuals, parts lists, interchangeability lists, TSBs (technical service bulletins), letters to dealers, and more.

Did not find much more than you already have, however.

Did find an old Mitchell/Browning dealer service manual from October 29, 1979 that shows the 1040, 1060, 1090, 1120 -- like you already show.  It does have a price list in the back, which I scanned just one page of.

I am thinking also, Mike, like you mentioned -- that the 12/0 President was a later version.  Was the 1120 the same basic size as a 12/0 President?

Mitchell was going through quite a few Suitors during this period -- just trying to keep the doors open.

Browning, ABU, Johnson, etc., etc...

Maybe the 12/0 was more of a Worldwide or European issue -- and not in the US?

I did find some neat old Newell stuff that I may post -- if it is not on Alan's site already.

So all is not a complete loss -- and I will keep my eyes open for anything else.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

foakes

After a little more research -- it appears that the Mitchell President Series consisted of (6) reels.

2/0
4/0
6/0
9/0
12/0
14/0

All manufactured between the 1987 -- 1989 years (the last year Mitchell was still made in France before moving to cheaper real estate, and lesser quality reels).

Old school, Sal, and Daron had a thread going a few years ago about the Gladiator Reels (Rossetti Reel Co., in Italy).

Turns out, Mitchell bought the company and rebadged the reels under the Mitchell name.

These originally were in gun metal colors -- but since the largest market was the deep water fisherman in Japan -- and they would pay literally thousands for Gold Reels -- all of the President line was changed to Gold -- and sold well for a few years in Japan.

Some of you may recall that this was a solid little company that was trying to compete with Everol & Penn -- for the high end deep water angler.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Tightlines667

Ah yes...I knew I recognized that design.  Now there is a real/reel collectors challenge...

Try to collect the full set of Mitchell President series, and the Moderna series of reels.

A few good tidbits gleamed from the previous thread..

"They were and are still quite well known, and manufactured around 1967-1972 by a fellow named J.C. Rosetti and a company called OFMER. The torch was passed a few times, and the reels were sold for a time with the name Mitchell President. Some of the heritage remains in the reel business even to this day."

"This line of reels were made in Italy by J.C. Rossetti Co. who was in business from 1967 - 1970. The plant and the reel line were then sold to Mitchell of France who then offered it for three years as the "Mitchell President. I believe in its day it was approx $5,000 new. There about but would consider them hard to find and ive seen them advertised for sale for 300-500ea"

Thanks all for sharing the knowledge

Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Tightlines667

A few more...
Hope springs eternal

coastal_dan

Neat, thanks for sharing!  Cool to see the old adds/books.
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

Penn Chronology

Well, we seem to have opened a fabulous can of worms ;D. There is enough history here for a small book.

A complete set of Mitchell Presidents  ??? ??? ???.......... Wow, I have a feeling a challenge like that needs to be sought after by a younger man than me. :(

foakes

I think you are right, Mike --

If I had the inclination, time, deep pockets, and connections to foster -- and I have not any of these -- I might start with France, Italy, Germany, then Japan, and see how far I could get.

Who knows?

Interesting chapter in a book, for sure.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

Penn Chronology

Oh yes, definitely a new bucket list item. Not the whole series but just one big one will do. ;D

There was a time in my life when Presidents were part of my job,

so I feel my collection should have at least one reel with a presidential name.

Tightlines667

Mike,

Now you really are my hero :)
Hope springs eternal

Superhook

Mike,

Good to know Bill realized that you , as Crew Chief was responsible for the mechanical soundness to keep his plane flying. No wonder he shook your hand. A fine photo.

Ray

Penn Chronology

QuoteGood to know Bill realized that you , as Crew Chief was responsible for the mechanical soundness to keep his plane flying. No wonder he shook your hand. A fine photo.

Actually, I was part of a team setting up security and communications when he visited New York. President Bill Clinton spent much time in New York which kept us very busy. I worked for TWA and we watched over Air Force One with many presidents. President Bill Clinton was the only president to come near the working people, all the others acted like Royalty.

OldSchool

The Mitchell President is an urban legend, if one of them turns up it will like a watching the holy grail go up for sale. Closest ive ever got to the President is the Gladiator which Mitchell bought the rights to and may have had the president made under licence before buying the factory and punching out the 1080's, this information is grey but there are definitely some big collectors looking for the President. Still fishing the Gladiator,

[/quote]

Penn Chronology

QuoteThe Mitchell President is an urban legend, if one of them turns up it will like a watching the holy grail go up for sale.

Wow, I guess my assumption of this reel not being expensive is a bit off the mark. I will be looking hard at the garage sales this year................... ::) ::)