Mitchell 1090 Big Game Reel

Started by Tightlines667, June 07, 2015, 12:42:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

theswimmer

Hey Fred that service manual has my 4470 spinner on the cover.
Still one of the Great Unknowns in the world of Mitchell.
I bought mine new in 1976 , the year I graduated high school and have been using and abusing it surf fishing ever since.
Just about 98% metal but it weighs about what one of our beloved Dam Quick Supers weighs!
I lucked into 2 spare spools , NOS, on this very site last year.....

Best ,
Jonathan
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

foakes

Yeah, JON --

Those are really good reels -- we need to remember that most quality brands from the 70s & 80s, were quality reels.

That was the "Golden Age of Spinners" -- when quality still meant something -- and just prior to the majority of quality world-wide makers selling out or running off to Asia.

I am down to 4 of those 4470 spools, NIB -- if you need any others.

Mike --

I am getting ready for a little garage sale this Saturday, in Fresno. 

During my prep, I ran across a new CL listing up in Modesto, CA -- for a Gladiator 50 pound reel from Rossetti.

Guy is asking $800 -- he seems to have a handle on some of the history.

He is claiming they sold for $5000 new -- That seems a little high to me -- but since I have no way to verify it, who knows?  That is the third time I have heard a number like that in my cursory amateur research, the last couple of days.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

theswimmer

Mr Oaks,
If you are having a "little" yard sale I want to stop by on my way to work. I have to work 6 days a week until our owner returns from overseas.
You could bring that narrow Squidder for me and I will bring cash!

I knew you would have some parts for my beloved 4470 ::)

Best,
JT
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

foakes

Sure, Jon --

It is yours...I will bring it down with me.

Going to post some pics later today to add to the CL posting -- link below

And I will send you the address -- runs from 7:00 to 2:00, this Saturday.

Best,

Fred

http://fresno.craigslist.org/spo/5070802141.html

FISHING TACKLE GARAGE SALE

WHY SPEND TOO MUCH?

(1) DAY ONLY -- Saturday, June 13

OVER 300 HIGH QUALITY REELS
ONLY THE BEST -- NO JUNK -- MICROLITES TO HD SALT

PENN, MITCHELL, GARCIA, ABU, NEWELL, SHIMANO,
D.A.M. QUICK, DAIWA & MORE...

REELS INCLUDE OCEAN, OFFSHORE, SURF, PIER
FRESHWATER FOR LAKES, TROLLING, STREAM & RIVER
FLY FISHING GEAR

CONVENTIONAL, SPINNING, FLY, BAITCASTERS

LOTS OF RODS
TACKLE BOXES
LURES

Rods starting at $10 -- Reels starting at $10
PLENTY OF GEAR FOR THE WHOLE FAMILY
KIDS GEAR STARTING AT $5
DAD'S GEAR ABOUT HALF PRICE FROM NEW
Good Discounts for Multiple Purchases

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

theswimmer

Errol Flynn

Penn Chronology

QuoteMike --

I am getting ready for a little garage sale this Saturday, in Fresno.  

During my prep, I ran across a new CL listing up in Modesto, CA -- for a Gladiator 50 pound reel from Rossetti.

Guy is asking $800 -- he seems to have a handle on some of the history.

He is claiming they sold for $5000 new -- That seems a little high to me -- but since I have no way to verify it, who knows?  That is the third time I have heard a number like that in my cursory amateur research, the last couple of days.

Best,

Fred

Fred,

If I spent $5000 back when these reels were originally made, at the end of the deal I would have to have a car, not a fishing reel. I have seen that $5000 price tag mentioned before and figured it was a misprint. Two years ago I sold a brand new Everol 14/O-130 pound class gold reel for $500. A 50 pound class reel does not equate to the kind of money we are talking about here. Maybe it is me, but I feel sensibility has left the building. ???

foakes

Agree, 110%, Mike --

Not even close to reality.

IMO.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

Robert Janssen

Yup. I have been in touch with the Gladiator company, owners and collectors many times over the years, and find it highly doubtful that anything of theirs sold for 5000 bux anytime anywhere.

Penn Chronology

Good to hear from you Dr. Rob. Hope all is well with you and yours.

Mike C.

newfuturevintage

Quote from: foakes on June 11, 2015, 05:27:43 PM

Going to post some pics later today to add to the CL posting --

And I will send you the address -- runs from 7:00 to 2:00, this Saturday.

I'd be sorely tempted to make the roadtrip if I didn't already have a work obligation.  Whoa.

Alto Mare

You're the man Mike, always keeping it interesting ;D.
Thanks!
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

OldSchool

It is unlikely that the reel SOLD for $5000 at the time of production and believe it was a reel worth an equivalent of $5000 in today's money at that time whatever that equated to. At the time in its day it seems plausible that it would be expensive and it would be an international purchase that possibly attracted tarriffs on imports back in the day ?

UKChris

What a fascinating thread. It reminded me that I once saw adverts for the Mitchell big game series in the UK back when they were on the market but there were few takers. I need saw one in the flesh.

I guess most were buying Penn Senators and a very few were buying the International series in the 1960s and early 70s.

Somewhere I have one of the old leaflets for the Gladiator series and I know think I once had a leaflet for those Mitchell reels too, but no longer. I wonder where it went? According to my wife, I never throw anything away :)

One of the "Osprey Angler' series of books - the one on shark fishing - has a picture of a lady using one of the Mitchell reels - I think it was the 9/0. That book I still have.

But I had never seen or heard of the Mitchell President.

redsetta

Great thread lads - thanks for all the insight!
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

OldSchool

Quote from: UKChris on June 18, 2015, 09:10:43 AM
But I had never seen or heard of the Mitchell President.

The legend continues....