A Collection of USEFUL DATA, All In ONE LOCATION !!!

Started by ez2cdave, June 13, 2015, 03:38:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ez2cdave

Quote from: Dominick on July 04, 2015, 05:46:29 PM
Dave, thanks for doing this.  The fishing tips even has clickable links to the particular subject matter.  Good Job.  Dominick

Dominick,

Thank you, sir !

Dave

ez2cdave

Here is another batch of PDF's . . .

ez2cdave

ez2cdave

The ULTIMATE List of Fishing-Related Websites . . . In PDF format for easy download !

Tight Lines !

ez2cdave

How To MAKE Your Own "FISH ATTRACTANT" Like Berkley GULP Uses . . .

I did some research, a while back, about the Patent information for the attractant(s) used by Berkley . . .

Here is what I found, accompanied by images of U.S. Patent 5827551 ( below text )

Tight Lines !!!

*************************************************************************************

Fish Attractant

WO 1997039625 A1

Composition containing a stable water-in-oil emulsion of petrolatum jelly, a water soluble delivery agent, a thickening agent, and a water soluble fish attractant.

Claims(1)

1. A fish attractant composition comprising a stable water-in-oil emulsion made of petrolatum jelly, a water soluble delivery agent, a thickening agent, and a water soluble fish attractant.

2. A fish attractant composition according to claim 1 wherein said water soluble delivery agent is selected from the group consisting of glycerine and propylene glycol.

3. A fish attractant composition according to claim 1 wherein said thickening agent is selected from the group consisting of ethylene-acrylic acid copolymer, polyethylene wax, and silica.

4. A fish attractant composition according to claim 1 comprising petrolatum, propylene glycol, and silica.

DESCRIPTION

FISH ATTRACTANT

FIELD OF THE INVENTION

The present invention relates to a formulation for delivering fish attractants that sustains the release time as well as provides high coating power.

BACKGROUND OF THE INVENTION

Fish attractants must be water soluble to be effective. Unfortunately, water soluble attractants are quickly removed from a lure when applied as a surface coating.

It would be desirable to have a formulation for releasing water soluble fish attractants that would stick well as a surface coating yet provide a controlled release of the material into the surrounding water.

SUMMARY OF THE INVENTION

It is an objective of the present invention to provide a formulation for water soluble fish attractants that sticks well to bait surfaces and which controls the rate of release.

In accordance with this and other objectives that will become apparent from the description herein, attractant formulations according to the invention comprise a stable water-in-oil emulsion made of petrolatum jelly, a water soluble delivery agent, a thickening agent, and a water soluble fish attractant. Formulations according to the invention stick well to the exterior surface of artificial lures while allowing the active attractant ingredient to leach slowly into the water.

DETAILED DESCRIPTION

Fish attractant formulations according to the invention are a water-in-oil emulsion of petrolatum mineral jelly or wax, a water soluble delivery agent, a thickening agent, and a water soluble fish attractant. The petrolatum provides an oil-based carrier that adheres well to the external surfaces of artificial lures. The remaining ingredients form a stable emulsion with good shelf stability that releases the active attractant slowly when immersed in water. Unless otherwise stated, all percentages are by weight. Water soluble delivery agents useful in the invention are water soluble, able to dissolve the attractant, immiscible in the petrolatum, nontoxic, and environmentally acceptable.

Particularly preferred delivery agents include propylene glycol and glycerine. Thickening agents useful in the invention are those materials that will thicken the petrolatum sufficiently to stabilize the emulsion without prohibiting release of the attractant. Suitable thickening agents are solid, semi-solid, and liquid at room temperature. Preferred thickening agents include ethylene-acrylic acid copolymers, polyethylene waxes, and silica (e.g., Cab-O-Sil™).

The attractant to be incorporated into the present formulation may be any water soluble material or combination of materials which attract or stimulate aquatic life, such as fish and crustaceans, to feed. A wide variety of attractants, including those cited in the background prior art discussed in U.S. Pat. Nos. 4,245,420; 4,826,691; and 5,089,277, (the disclosures of which are herein incorporated by reference) have been found to be suitable. Examples include powdered bone meal, powdered food solids, powdered anise, rhodinyl acetate, dehydrated fish meal, dried slaughterhouse waste products, powdered fish, egg, dried milk products, sodium chloride, molasses, fish powders and synthetic spices having a smell similar to that of fish meal, fish oil, stale fish, shell fish, krill powder, pulverized dried sardine, spray dried inactivated and/or autolyzed yeast, powdered squid, borax, wood flour, bentonite, pulp fibers, and cellulosic materials, dicarboxylic amino acids and other amino acids, such as glutamic and aspartic acids, betaine, glycine, alanine, taurine, tryptamine, and tyramine. Academic study of fish behavior relating to chemoreception describes a wide variety of attractant materials suitable for use in the present formulation. Very useful attractant are disclosed in the following publications, the disclosures of which are herein incorporated by reference: a. Hara, Toshiaki J., "Chemoreception," Fish Physiology. Vol. 5, 1971, pp.

79-120, Academic Press Inc. b. Hara, Toshiaki J., "Olfaction in Fish," Progress in Neurobiology. Vol. 5, Part 4, 1975, pp.271-335, Pergamon Press. c. Hara, Toshiaki J. (Ed.).

"Chemoreception in Fishes," Developments in Aquaculture and Fisheries Science. 8, 1982, Elsevier Scientific Publishing

Co. d. Pitcher, Tony J. (Ed.), "The Role of Olfaction in Fish Behavior," The Behavior of Teleost Fishes, 1986, pp. 152-176. The Johns Hopkins University Press.

The percentage of attractant in the present formulation is determined primarily by the nature of the specific attractant material. Certain attractants, which have an extremely concentrated attractive effect on aquatic life, may be used in the present formulation in amounts as low as between about 0.1-10% of the total formulation. When bulky or general attractants, such as powdered fish meal, are used in the present formulation, they are generally present in an amount of at least about 5% of the total formulation. Broadly, formulation of the present invention containing amounts of attractant in the range of between about 0.1-80% of the total formulation have been found to be effective in luring aquatic life.

Preferred formulations for the present fish attractants comprise about 50-80% petrolatum, 10-30% water soluble delivery agent, 1-10% thickening agent, and 0.01-20% attractant, and 0-20% auxiliary agents. Particularly preferred formulations include 60- 65% petrolatum jelly, 20% water soluble dispensing agent, 3-5% thickening agent, and 10-12% water soluble attractants and other ingredients.

The particular ingredients of the attractant formulation can be blended in any manner that produces a stable water-in-oil emulsion. If the thickening agent is a solid at room temperature and meltable, that component may be heated until a liquid and mixed with the other components at high speed until a creamy, stable emulsion is formed.

Generally, the components are mixed at room temperature by hand or with a mechanical mixer until the mixture changes from a dry, stiff mix into a smooth, creamy paste that can be readily applied to the exterior of a bait or artificial lure.

ez2cdave

Last week, I got a PM and a couple of e-mails, asking about the Breakaway Cannon. So, to help others out in the future, here's a brief description.

The BREAKAWAY CANNON . . .

The purpose of the Breakaway Cannon is to prevent slicing your finger while casting heavy weights and/or large baits, especially when using braided line, on a Spinning Reel (In the UK - a "Fixed-Spool" reel).

The spool on a Spinning Reel rotates to allow a fish to take line against the force of the Drag, without exceeding the breaking strength of the line.

When casting a heavy weight and/or a large bait, the drag may slip during the cast and the line can slice your finger . . . In the case of braid, deeply !

Also, the more power that is being put into the cast, even with lighter weight(s), the more chance there is for the drag to slip under pressure, due to Centrifugal Force.

Whenever you are casting, including Conventional & "Multiplier" (UK) reels, a "Shock Leader" is recommended to prevent the danger of a heavy weight with sharp hooks breaking free and causing serious injury . . .

The "Rule of Thumb" for Shock Leaders is 10lb of breaking strength for every Ounce of weight you are throwing, including the weight of the bait. Weaker casters can get away with slightly less, but a powerful caster should always follow the "10lb per Ounce" rule.

The Breakaway Cannon prevents the spool from rotating during the cast, by having the line wrapped around a "capstan" on it, secured by a finger-released "trigger". It is an excellent device, which prevents injury and allows increases in casting distance, since you are able to put more power into the cast, without the line slipping.

Tight Lines !!!

ez2cdave

I found an excellent tutorial on how to mag "multiplier" (conventional) reels . . .

Here is the LINK to the original source and the thread is ATTACHED in PDF form for easy download and archiving !

Tight Lines !!!

http://www.sealine.co.za/view_topic.php?id=93069&forum_id=62

Rancanfish

Thanks again Dave!  Saved me searching all over looking for the Penn drags sizes chart.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

ez2cdave

Quote from: Rancanfish on December 17, 2015, 10:29:21 PM
Thanks again Dave!  Saved me searching all over looking for the Penn drags sizes chart.

I'm glad to help anyone, anytime, if I can . . .

Tight Lines !!!

Marlinmate

I've felt that a running thread/tap/drill size thread would help those who have been in the same position as I have been.   :-\

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=1829.msg9025#msg9025
FISHING IS THE SPORT OF DROWNING WORMS

ez2cdave

Quote from: Marlinmate on January 02, 2016, 03:21:59 AM
I've felt that a running thread/tap/drill size thread would help those who have been in the same position as I have been.   :-\

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=1829.msg9025#msg9025

Yes, by all means, please do and feel free to add it to this thread, too ! ! !

Tight Lines !

ez2cdave

Guys,

I found what appears to be ( I hope ) a new source of Reel Schematics online . . . ENJOY !

http://www.pursuetheoutdoors.com/fishing/reel-schematics/

Tight Lines !

ez2cdave

How To MAG Your MULTIPLIER / CONVENTIONAL Reels ! ! !

I found an excellent tutorial on how to mag "multiplier" (conventional) reels . . .

Here is the LINK to the source and the thread is ATTACHED in PDF form for easy download and archiving !

Tight Lines !!!

http://www.sealine.co.za/view_topic.php?id=93069&forum_id=62

foakes

Great info, once again, Dave --

Thank you for this work.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

ez2cdave

Quote from: foakes on June 11, 2016, 03:58:33 PM
Great info, once again, Dave --

Thank you for this work.

Best,

Fred

Thank you, Fred !

I've been crazy busy recently, but now I have time to get "back to business" here . . . LOL !

Tight Lines !