Fix for reel rash?

Started by FatTuna, June 14, 2015, 11:35:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FatTuna

I just bought a set of used Tiagras. I didn't realize it until I got home but the reels have some reel rash. It's not the worst that I've seen but it's bad enough that it annoys me a little. I plan to put these reels through a lot of use but I would love to clean them up a bit. Is there any kind of touch up technique that people are using?

fIsHsTiiCkS

Besides getting them refinished, I haven't found one yet :/

FatTuna

Quote from: fIsHsTiiCkS on June 14, 2015, 11:47:48 PM
Besides getting them refinished, I haven't found one yet :/

Do you know anything about getting them refinished? When I first saw it, that was my thought too. I had a feeling that it is not an easy fix but I figured that I would ask.

I saw online that Melton tackle sells custom Tiagras. I called and they told me to call back on Monday to talk with the guy who deals with that. I have a feeling it's going to be an arm and a leg. It would be really cool to have a silver reel though.

Do you know of anyone else who does it? I'm not sure if Melton only does it for new reels.

My reels are in really nice shape mechanically. The rods are great.

Does the rash cause any issues down the line? Does it spread corrosion or make the frame weaker?

fIsHsTiiCkS

Call these guys they will take care of you.

http://www.reelcolors.com/

FatTuna

Quote from: fIsHsTiiCkS on June 15, 2015, 12:45:46 AM
Call these guys they will take care of you.

http://www.reelcolors.com/

Thanks man

I just checked out the site. They look amazing. I'm going to cross my fingers on the price.

Tightlines667

It is expensive, so be prepared for 'sticker shock'.  They do beautiful work though.  If you search around you may find someone locally fapable of refinishing your parts.  I have always toyed with the notion of trying to get dome high quality aluminum filker, and various gold/metalic dyes to try to match the reel's color and go to town on the reel rash.  I did some research on materials, but never found the time to try to play around with it.  Typically, fully restoring the cosmetics on expensive reels, is time and cost prohibitive.  There was a time when parts cost was somewhat less, and ifvthe rash/corrosion was limited to a single part (i.e. frame, side plate, or spool( you could consider replacing with new, but even then the color wasn't a perfect match. 

Let us know if you come up with something that works for you.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

FatTuna

Quote from: Tightlines666 on June 15, 2015, 02:11:06 AM
It is expensive, so be prepared for 'sticker shock'.  They do beautiful work though.  If you search around you may find someone locally fapable of refinishing your parts.  I have always toyed with the notion of trying to get dome high quality aluminum filker, and various gold/metalic dyes to try to match the reel's color and go to town on the reel rash.  I did some research on materials, but never found the time to try to play around with it.  Typically, fully restoring the cosmetics on expensive reels, is time and cost prohibitive.  There was a time when parts cost was somewhat less, and ifvthe rash/corrosion was limited to a single part (i.e. frame, side plate, or spool( you could consider replacing with new, but even then the color wasn't a perfect match. 

Let us know if you come up with something that works for you.

I'm expecting it to be pretty high but the word "sticker shock" is never good, lol. I wrote the owner an email so I hope to hear back next week. I absolutely the love the look of the silver Tiagra though.

It's not the end of the world if I can't eliminate the rash. The reels are going to be work reels. I do plan to put some effort into it though. I will be sure to post back if I find a good solution.

Does the rash hurt the reel at all or is it just cosmetic?

LTM

I read a post here where someone (I believe the Rothmar2 project reel) was removing the anodizing via sandblasting. Sandblasting would be a cost effective solution that you could probably get done local to you. The pitting is corrosion and sandblasting will do the trick. Then apply several coats of polish or something to protect the finish. Dont forget to post before and after pictures.

Good luck,

Leo

fIsHsTiiCkS

Getting it Cerakote is a cost effective way of refinshing and looks very nice and holds up well in the salt, from what I hear.

Slazmo

coastal_dan

Match a nail polish to the reel color  ;D 
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

thorhammer

Quote from: coastal_dan on June 15, 2015, 02:06:01 PM
Match a nail polish to the reel color  ;D 

you know you did that whole reel hot pink!!! :)

UKChris

I did paint over some nasty scratches on a Penn International with a fine artist's brush and gold enamel paint. It doesn't bear close inspection but looks ok from a distance - well, better than it did. It has the advantage of being cheap - £2 for a tiny pot of gold paint.

steelfish

Quote from: UKChris on June 15, 2015, 03:52:01 PM
I did paint over some nasty scratches on a Penn International with a fine artist's brush and gold enamel paint.

I did something similar but on a silver saltist, remember that 1st gen saltist?
they used to have the same paint on that is used on the lottery tickets, you can scratch it with the nail, with a key or even with your sight

well, my was starting to get scratched, I went to wallyworld and buy a small can of car re-touch paint (something like that)
some of them have a small bruch that its used as nail polish and also have a pen point for really small scratches.. it ended looking really good at the end, barely noticiable. after that I went to the ladies section and get a nail clear polish and cover all the reel (please dont laugh), few years later guess what? the reel still looks like new, the clear coat nail polish have some scratches and hits but they havent get deep into the actual paint.
the clear coat its not smooth at all but 3x better than having the reel all scratched and ugly, specially this model known for having one of the worst paint quality. I know there are many products better for clear coat but that´s what I had on hand.

The Baja Guy

Tiddlerbasher

I always match the nail varnish to what I'm wearing on the day :-* ;)