My first Senator 9/0

Started by Shark_On, June 19, 2015, 07:07:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shark_On

Hello all, I purchased my first Penn Senator 9/0 for $100.  Not sure if its the best deal,  but I am happy with it so I guess that is the important part.

I found it in a pawn shop, and it looks almost new condition in person, my pics did not turn out well, but in person I cant tell that it has ever been used, no scratches anywhere, no rubs, nothing.  Clean as whistle except where a sticker left residue.  I would rate it 9 out of 10, almost perfect, read on to see what wrong.

I was impressed by the original penn wrenches, oil, flyer and catalog all in the original box, I feel like I purchased a good deal to have all these items complete.  Someone even kept what appears to be the original news paper or magazine advertisement clipping with the price at a whopping $74.13.

The catalog is #36B, has a copyright date of 1976.  I was wondering if that is pretty close to the year of manufacture??

According to the box and catalog this reel is has the one piece cast spool, old style asbestos drag washers I assume as they are described to be brake lining star drag, stainless steel drive gear & pinion gear, and torpedo handle. 

The bottom reel seat has a stamp of 30-115.

The bad news, that I need help with.  The star drag is stuck, really stuck, I have read on this website that I need a new gear sleeve, looks like part#98 on a diagram I saw.

I want the updated HT-100 washers, and smooth drag washers, SS dog, and a new sleeve.  Any other advise or help I appreciate it.

Intended purpose is land based medium shark fishing. 

May you live long, and fish often.

thorhammer

when you say "stuck", is the star cross threaded? if so you MIGHT retap it if you can get it off, but I'd replace it and for your purpose get the SS sleeve. as good a condition as that reel is otherwise with box et al, you prolly didnt get stuck for a hundo....i expect your upgrades will land you right at $150 but you'll have a much stronger piece than a 2015  9/0, IMO, for the same price.

If its just not turning, it could well be that 40 year old grease, if any, has dried and the asbestos drags are stuck to the metal washers. I've opened some that basically had to be scraped off then had to lap the steel. I'd yank those out and clean and grease just to see if thats the issue, but still go to Ht100 or carbontex if so. dont forget to look at washer under gear, thats a prime place for one to stick if left ungreased with the drag locked down. There are a hundred people on here with more insight than I but a general service out of the gate to see what really is going on is always a good place to start. 

John

Shark Hunter

First of all. Welcome!
The first thing you need to do is remove the handle. take out the set screw and use the wrench to break the nut free by tapping it with a small hammer or something. I bet it is very tight. Tightened against the star, not letting it move.
A dismantle, cleaning and regreasing with a new drag stack. There are a lot of tutorials that can guide you through this. This an excellent reel for Shark fishing and has some real neat upgrades to turn it into a 40 lb drag capable reel.
You want to break it down and clean everything. Take your time. We are here to help. ;)

Life is Good!

Shark_On

Everything works except the star drag does not adjust.  Reel cranks, clicker clicks, and spool release releases and locks fine.  I'm looking for a screw driver now, will repost with pictures of internals.  I hope it is something simple, but I intend to replace the washers and sleeve anyway.

Even if I put some money into this reel Im happy with my purchase, it is in perfect condition, and I love the history, just reading this site has me hooked.

Shark Hunter

Keep me posted. I have all the parts you need for this reel.
Life is Good!

Shark_On

shark hunter - You were right, took the handle off and the star drag turned for adjustment, I pulled on the line and it adjust perfectly fine now.

I took off the handle and pulled the drag washer set out, brand new (meaning original old BUT unused) looking drag washers.  I hope you can tell from the picture, but these are perfectly good. 

Now I need to know if I should put the Penn lube on the drag?  It appears to have some oil on the metal washers.  Or just reassemble as it is?

I dont have any cal grease or anything yet. 

But this thing is ready to fish as is, until I get the upgraded parts.  Looks like a pretty good deal after all. 

ChileRelleno

WOW  :o  Very cool, you've a virtually unused and great condition 9/0 for a mere Franklin.
Awesome pick up, can I get a "Hell Yeah!"
You can fish it with that drag stack, not going to hurt it, but I would recommend replacing it with a new HT-100 drag stack anyways.
For the cost it is the best purchase you can make for the reel.
Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

Shark_On

I am so excited about this reel, especially now that it works perfectly. 

I have thoroughly inspected the whole reel, it is basically new.  There are no marks on the reel seat, the clamps, or the threads on the screws.  Looks like it has never been mounted, and if it was they gently did so.  I did not disassemble it completely yet, all the factory oil is still on everything and looks and feels smooth and lubed. 

If I wipe all my finger prints off, it shines like a new car.  To be honest I was confused at first, like why would someone put a new reel in an old box?  Ha ha ha...

I am a little confused on ordering the parts, I have the 3 thick washer stack, my felt washer is brand new, so what do I actually need to order and replace? 

Shark Hunter

I'm glad that worked out. I thought that was the problem. John is right, you can fish it like it is. Those thick washers are actually brake lining material which can contain asbestos. I pitch mine and replace them with a 5 stack kit like this. More drags will make the reel stronger and smoother. You did good on that reel. There is a lot of upgrades available. With this drag, you should have 20 lbs easy.
https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/6-114HSP.aspx

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
Life is Good!

Shark_On

Thanks for the link, I ordered the washers, $16 well spent.  HT100s on the way.

Do I need a ss dog and sleeve?  Or should I just fish it until something breaks? 

handi2

Your sure did get an unused 9/0 reel. Usually the drags are black and greasy with years of use.

Keep the box, paperwork, etc.. all put away safe.

For starting out all you need is a good greasing, the new drag kit, and your ready to go.

I wouldn't worry about the upgrades until you get a few fish and see how you like everything.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Shark_On

Yep, if you notice that one washer is really shiny, that is the only one I wiped off. If I cleaned the light film of oil off the metal washers they have no marks or scratching.

I couldn't be happier finding a new in box reel. 

RowdyW

I hope you ordered a 1 ounce container of Cal's grease for the drag washers. Don't use marine grease on them.

Keta

Quote from: Shark_On on June 19, 2015, 11:50:24 PM
Do I need a ss dog and sleeve?  Or should I just fish it until something breaks? 

Need and want are two different things.  For now I'd say fish it with the Penn parts, in the future you can get a gearsleeve and SS AR dogs.  If Alan does not have them I still have some 15-115 AR dogs in stock.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Shark_On

Im gonna fish what I have and see if my skills and luck can match my equipment.

Yes ordered cals grease, but only because everyone on here said to do so.  It is tempting to use any grease, penn even makes a drag grease.  But I will stick to the knowledgeable recommendations from this forum.

What is the suggested application of grease?  Goop it on or thin film? Or somewhere in the middle?