2015 alantani.com/sprit of adventure charter (stills and video done!)

Started by alantani, June 21, 2015, 02:30:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wally15

Quote from: Dominick on June 22, 2015, 04:03:33 PM
I can't imagine spending 5 days on a boat but it looks like a good time.  I have to re-think this long range stuff.  Dominick

I'd never spent more than 2 days on a boat before this either. Wasn't bad at all. These guys (and gal) made the non-fishing time pass quickly. My biggest hassle was getting to SD (3 hour drive plus 1.5 hour for TSA plus 9 hour flight w/ 1 stop at DFW) and back home. Got home at 2 AM Sunday morning, 18 hours after the boat docked. Ugh! I was a walking zombie all Father's Day.
Mike
Sweet dreams and flying machines in pieces on the ground.
"Fire and Rain"
James Taylor

Steve-O

Great trip report! At right around 3 minutes of the JV posted video the deckhand gaffs a YT and the YT pulls back :o...gaff overboard! ;D I suppose it was retrieved.

Great Pics and Vids!  thanks for sharing all so far.

Steve

steelfish

The Baja Guy

MarkT

It was a good thing that JP's gaffing issue wasn't during his job interview!  They all did a great job other than that one time.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Steve-O

Quote from: MarkT on June 22, 2015, 05:23:12 PM
It was a good thing that JP's gaffing issue wasn't during his job interview!  They all did a great job other than that one time.

Yea, it looked like a " WHAT THE....?" moment and the video caught it.  The rail looked to be 12 feet  or so from the ocean surface.

Keta

I can't imagine spending 5 days on a boat but it looks like a good time.  I have to re-think this long range stuff.  Dominick

5 days is too short but fun.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

MarkT

I did a 10 day last year and it didn't seem too long.  On the 5-day it seems that you're just getting into the groove and then you're breaking down your gear.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Keta

I've done two 10 day and four 15 day LR trips, my long trips, the longest was 35 days, were research trips.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Aiala

Quote from: MarkT on June 22, 2015, 06:30:43 PM
I did a 10-day last year and it didn't seem too long.  On the 5-day it seems that you're just getting into the groove and then you're breaking down your gear.

I agree with Mark that a 10-day isn't too long, but remember, we had to travel so far this time that fishing didn't even start until 3 pm of the second day. On a 5-day trip when the fish are closer (e.g. summertime tuna) there would likely be a whole lot more rail time.   :)

~A~

I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

Keta

Quote from: Aiala on June 22, 2015, 06:51:42 PM
Quote from: MarkT on June 22, 2015, 06:30:43 PM
I did a 10-day last year and it didn't seem too long.  On the 5-day it seems that you're just getting into the groove and then you're breaking down your gear.

I agree with Mark that a 10-day isn't too long, but remember, we had to travel so far this time that fishing didn't even start until 3 pm of the second day. On a 5-day trip when the fish are closer (e.g. summertime tuna) there would likely be a whole lot more rail time.   :)

~A~  

Same trip but 10 days would be interesting, it's a 2 day drive to SD for me and 5 day trips do not really make it.

Mark Twain

anglingarchitect

Really looks like a good time and great fishing, I wish I could make one of these trips, but I kinda doubt it will happen it's a long way from Florida and it's got to be expensive to ship those fish back home. The Yellow tail fish look like our Amber Jacks, and they seem to fight similarly but YT taste way better.YT is my favorite Sashimi.

rshu

Looks like a great time! Thanks for sharing the trip Alan!

Keta

Quote from: anglingarchitect on June 22, 2015, 08:09:23 PM
Really looks like a good time and great fishing, I wish I could make one of these trips, but I kinda doubt it will happen it's a long way from Florida and it's got to be expensive to ship those fish back home. The Yellow tail fish look like our Amber Jacks, and they seem to fight similarly but YT taste way better.YT is my favorite Sashimi.

YT are also a jack.

Mark Twain

Aiala

Quote from: anglingarchitect on June 22, 2015, 08:09:23 PM
...it's got to be expensive to ship those fish back home.

Actually, it's not all that ruinous, (assuming you don't overdo it.) Probably 150-300 bucks would get you a more-than-substantial load of fresh filets.  ;)

~A~

I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

johndtuttle

Dom, 5 days is nothing and goes by mighty quick. It's a good place to get started. 7 days even better with typically relaxing travel days and calm seas.

Until you have been on one of the LR fleet it's hard to explain how much room there is and how comfortable (for a fishing boat). The SoA is not even the queen of the fleet by any means as compared to Intrepid or Independence etc.

Does it beat a stay at the Four Seasons on Punta Mita with daily fishing for Cows? No, but for probably the most consistent fishing on the West Coast for inshore/offshore species that can be rare catches north of the border it is hard to beat the catching.

Never met a fisherman that didn't have a great time Long Range.