DAIWA RANT

Started by LTM, June 21, 2015, 04:23:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rancanfish

Quote from: ez2cdave on June 22, 2015, 11:31:43 PM
Quote from: Shark Hunter on June 22, 2015, 04:19:11 AM
I am late to the game starting a Daiwa collection. They are fine reels, but not near as plentiful as penns.
That's the problem. The 900H is basically a beefed up Senator, too bad that is where they stopped.
My favorite reels are the bigger senators. 10,12,14 and 16/0. Daiwa never made them any bigger than the 900. I wish they would have.

Yes . . . My "secret wish" was for DAIWA to make a SEALINE 650H and a 950H reel but, unfortunately, they didn't . . .

What would you use a 950H for, if there was such a thing?  I'm trying to figure an application for my 900H as it is.  I won't hang onto it forever, like I did with the old 9/0.  These reels have to earn there keep!  ;D  I had fun building it though. (A 5 stack and handle upgrade).

Then, there are the "Dream Reels" . . . 1200H  . . . 1400H . . . 1600H . . . They would have been GLORIOUS ! ! !
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

ez2cdave

Quote from: Rancanfish on June 23, 2015, 12:34:29 AMWhat would you use a 950H for, if there was such a thing?  I'm trying to figure an application for my 900H as it is.  I won't hang onto it forever, like I did with the old 9/0.  These reels have to earn there keep!  ;D  I had fun building it though. (A 5 stack and handle upgrade).

The "950H" would be a lighter, smaller diameter alternative to a 12/0 . . . 

Application for the 900H ? How about Shark or Ray fishing, for a start ?

What did you use your Penn 9/0 for ?

Rancanfish

My point was, I never used the 9/0.

I'm looking for ideas for here in the SF Bay area / Pac. ocean.

I might just go deep water and drift chunks of meat, lol.

ez2cdave

Quote from: Rancanfish on June 23, 2015, 02:46:42 AMMy point was, I never used the 9/0.

What were you intending to use it for, when you bought it?

Did you purchase it brand new and it is un-fished ? If so, you can probably get good money for it, especially if it's the original Chrome over Brass spool model and not the 115L with the black aluminum spool.. . .

MFB

The only trouble with Daiwa is they weren't as well marketed as Penn's or Shimano's and probably still aren't.

Regards

Mark 
No man can lose what he never had.
                                                   Isaac Walton

Shark Hunter

Quote from: Shark Hunter on June 22, 2015, 04:19:11 AM
I am late to the game starting a Daiwa collection. They are fine reels, but not near as plentiful as penns.
That's the problem. The 900H is basically a beefed up Senator, too bad that is where they stopped.
My favorite reels are the bigger senators. 10,12,14 and 16/0. Daiwa never made them any bigger than the 900. I wish they would have.
That was the problem from the start Marc. I picked up another 900 and 600H, just because there will be no more. Penn made them in mass quantity. That's why you can still find these relics a lot easier than a Sealine.
Life is Good!

Rivverrat

I've got a few Diawas. I really like them. The Bass Pro shop here gets them in & they don't sell well. People by the the cheaper made but more expensive Shimano stuff. Other than my TLD's I wont own another Shimano.
I've got a reel that has no name or any markings left any where on it's frame. All such stuff has been removed from use. It puts out a ridiculous amount of drag. My grandpa & his friend hopped up the drag some how.
This reel very nearly caused fist to start flying between my cousin & I some 20 years ago after grandpa past. I try to pick my battles wisely & it was a no brainer to go to war for the possession of this reel.....Heck my cousin hated the river & hardly ever fished.
I've caught 2 Channels on it that came very close to the state record. Both over 30 lb. & neither pulled any drag. I just found out 3 years ago this reel is a Diawa. Know nothing about what model. Ive had it apart twice in 15 - 20 years to do it's regular, every 10 year packing with grease. It is mounted on what I think is a 6' 1/2 fiberglass, Calstar rod. I used it as a cane, reel below the surface, as I waded the river tossing big live baits & chunks of cut bait into hollows & holes in the bank. I wouldn't think for a moment of using any of my gear in this manner today. I need to get it & post some pics so some one here can tell me more about it....Jeff

jonnou

Quote from: Shark Hunter on June 23, 2015, 05:02:47 AM
That was the problem from the start Marc. I picked up another 900 and 600H, just because there will be no more. Penn made them in mass quantity. That's why you can still find these relics a lot easier than a Sealine.

May be they will have some worth in 50 years. through the relative rarity?
Jeff that reel is the stuff of legends. You have my interest!!!

Rivverrat

jonnou, my grandpa reffered to this reel as Igor. Igor got sent to do the task no other combo we had was capable of. The reel & rod are just way to big & unhandy to use all the time. The reel is some 200 miles away at the moment. Next time I'm in Wichita I will get it & take some pics

Rancanfish

Quote from: ez2cdave on June 23, 2015, 03:29:05 AM
Quote from: Rancanfish on June 23, 2015, 02:46:42 AMMy point was, I never used the 9/0.

What were you intending to use it for, when you bought it?

Did you purchase it brand new and it is un-fished ? If so, you can probably get good money for it, especially if it's the original Chrome over Brass spool model and not the 115L with the black aluminum spool.. . .

It was given to me by a customer that knew he was dying. He wanted to give me about 10 rods and reels. All bigger than the 9/0.  I took a reel just to make him feel good. I was dumb.

ez2cdave

Quote from: Rancanfish on June 24, 2015, 09:01:52 PMIt was given to me by a customer that knew he was dying. He wanted to give me about 10 rods and reels. All bigger than the 9/0.  I took a reel just to make him feel good. I was dumb.

Well, if you don't want to use it, sell it and use the proceeds to buy something you can enjoy using !

Rancanfish

The reel went bye bye a few months ago.  It belongs to a friend from this site that will use it.

ez2cdave

Quote from: Rancanfish on June 25, 2015, 04:19:46 AM
The reel went bye bye a few months ago.  It belongs to a friend from this site that will use it.

So, what gear did you buy with the proceeds ?

Rancanfish

It was a trade.  I have (2) 900h's now if you'd like to change the subject.   8)

ez2cdave

Quote from: Rancanfish on June 25, 2015, 06:58:01 PM
It was a trade.  I have (2) 900h's now if you'd like to change the subject.   8)

Maybe I missed something here ?

You had a Penn 9/0 that you never used, and eventually got rid of. Now, you have 2 Daiwa 900H's, which might indicate that you're going to use them. This is all very "cyclical" (running in circles), since you've never said what you intend to fish for and you now have 2 reels of basically the same size as the Penn 9/0, that you never used.