Line stacking on the top or bottom of the spool

Started by Keta, June 22, 2015, 06:45:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keta

What causes line to not wind right on a spinner spool?  I have one that bunches up on the bottom of the spool and one that does it on the top.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Reel 224

Quote from: Keta on June 22, 2015, 06:45:22 PM
What causes line to not wind right on a spinner spool?  I have one that bunches up on the bottom of the spool and one that does it on the top.

Keta: I think that was posted here a month ago I just can't remember where it was. I'm not quite sure what the problem was anymore, man it sucks getting old and forgetful!

Maybe something to do with adjusting the spool with spacers? I'm sure someone will chime in with the right answer.
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Keta

Quote from: Reel 224 on June 22, 2015, 06:50:27 PM....man it sucks getting old and forgetful!

Sure does.  I hate knowing I know something but not remembering it.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

LTM

Its the washer under the spool. There is a post here (probably near the last page). Anywho, you either add or remove washer(s) to adjust for build-up near the front or rear of spool.

Leo

Doug

If the line is building up on the bottom the spool height needs to be reduced( thinner washer or even no washer under the spool. If on the top spool is tool  low add washers

johndtuttle

As above with a little extra info.

1. If the line is stacking on top add shims.

2. If the line is stacking on bottom remove shims.

3. If you cannot remove any more shims and the line is still stacking on the bottom you may be able to use rotor shims underneath it that can be added to increase the height of the rotor to move the line lay up the spool.

Tiddlerbasher

Yup! exactly what John has stated - I frequently do this for people who have front/rear stacking issues. Starting making washers out of teflon and acetal recently. If someone is really fussy I use ss shims in wharever thickness :)

Keta

I never thought to shim the rotator, one is stacking on the bottom the other on the top.

Mark Twain

johndtuttle

Quote from: Keta on June 22, 2015, 08:46:13 PM
I never thought to shim the rotator, one is stacking on the bottom the other on the top.

And I used to always wonder what the heck those shims were doing under the rotor :D till a Penn guy clued me in.

Reel 224

Thank goodness I wasn't to far off, my mind is slipping lately,I just can't seam to retain much lately. I told the wife if I get any worse. Just take me out to the back field and club me in the head. >:( ;D
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

handi2

I have used a 6-113 on the Penn SS and 700 series reels if the spool needs to get lower. The 6-60 will work also being thinner than the 6-113. I think that was the size drag washers I used ???

This spool needed to go up. The line was bunching on the top like an hour glass.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Alto Mare

I use (2) .25mm Delrin washers there, one on top of the other and its a perfect match.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Keta

I found some shim washers with the right ID and slipped one under the white plastic washer on the reel, close but not quite there.  One more shim washer and the reel is working like it should.  Thanks to all.

Mark Twain