Rod/reel recopmmendation for 5 y/o for rockfish

Started by AlasKen, June 29, 2015, 06:30:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlasKen

I have created a monster, er I mean I have convinced my 5 y/o grand daughter that she needs to go out with Papa in the boat every possible chance.  I am looking to find something that she can fish with that is light enough that she can handle it for a few minutes by herself but heavy enough that it can jig for rockfish down to 80'.  This is in some current so using some light needle fish jigs.  I tried the zebco type kids reel that we all probably used at one time.  Of course it was the princess model.  Also tried a light spin caster that I use for light trout fishing.  It was a bit light as well.  Just thought I would throw it out to get an idea of what others are using for the young ones just starting out.  When she gets a hook up I tend to hold the rod and allow her to crank it in.  I am going to add some scotty rod holders to allow her to use it while she reels it in.  Thanks.  Ken

broschro

my middle boy Ashton started with a 350m level wind. it did ok but not enough to drag bigger fish out from the ledge at times. now my to oldest boys use the 309 level wind with grate successes put in a ss gear sleeve and grease the drags and put on the fish.  as far as rods go any 20 to 40 # boat rod in the 6ft or under range will do.

fIsHsTiiCkS

That has to be a priceless experience. If you are going spinner than a penn battle should work great, if want an old school go a penn 5500-7500ss. Or a conventional I'd say an abu 6300 type reel with a nice Levelwind. Daiwa 27sh is a very light but sturdy reel that won't break the back either.

AlasKen

Thanks.  I forgot about Abu, I have several of them around somewhere that I used to used for salmon from the shore years ago.  I bet those would work OK for awhile with some TLC.  I'll also look at the Daiwa.  Ken

Quote from: fIsHsTiiCkS on June 29, 2015, 06:59:20 PM
That has to be a priceless experience. If you are going spinner than a penn battle should work great, if want an old school go a penn 5500-7500ss. Or a conventional I'd say an abu 6300 type reel with a nice Levelwind. Daiwa 27sh is a very light but sturdy reel that won't break the back either.

AlasKen

I have a handful of 209's that I am going through and putting new carbon fiber drag washers in.  I bet one of those on the right length rod would work.  They are pretty bullet proof simple.  I can put a leash on it in case it goes for a swim.  I am thinking conventional level wind at this time.  Been know to happen.  I picked up a couple of Cabala's house brand Wuppin Stick (Ugly Stick knockoffs) for the Charter Specials and like them well enough for a boat rod.  Maybe I will pick up a lighter weight one for her.  Thanks for the help.  Ken

Quote from: broschro on June 29, 2015, 06:56:34 PM
my middle boy Ashton started with a 350m level wind. it did ok but not enough to drag bigger fish out from the ledge at times. now my to oldest boys use the 309 level wind with grate successes put in a ss gear sleeve and grease the drags and put on the fish.  as far as rods go any 20 to 40 # boat rod in the 6ft or under range will do.

Bryan Young

I use and my kids use Abus 5500s and 6500s.  80' is not very deep so you don't need much capacity.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

johndtuttle

Quote from: Bryan Young on June 29, 2015, 08:15:56 PM
I use and my kids use Abus 5500s and 6500s.  80' is not very deep so you don't need much capacity.

Yep, I was gonna say Abu's too...level wind, light, easy to use...and when the time comes they cast great....pick up used for around $50-60.

Tightlines667

Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

ALASKAFISHMAN

Use the reels/rod you already have, as long as she is having fun she will continue to be gram-pa's little princess on the boat.  I had a rod go over board that I got for one of my nieces.  So maybe anchor it to the boat. 

Brent
Fish and hunt, Fish and hunt, eat, sleep fish and hunt, fish and hunt

Keta

Quote from: Tightlines666 on June 29, 2015, 08:28:29 PM
Gotta love those Abu reels.

Yup but they don't play well with saltwater, make double sure they get washed down every time they are on the water.

My light albacore reels.

A 5601C4 with AR bearing and a AR dog.

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

johndtuttle

Oh, and be sure to tie up some shrimp flies with circle hooks.

Tip them with squid and just let the fish hang themselves. Easiest possible way to catch rockfish regardless of the age of the angler  ;).

foakes

My vote would go to the 209, Ken --

It would handle something larger, in case of an incidental hook-up. 

But the LW would keep her happy and on the water -- less frustrations for all involved.

Not too big -- not too small.

If you get stuck on parts -- and decide to go the 209 -- just let me know, and I will donate some to the cause.

Just need a list from you.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

AlasKen

Quote from: johndtuttle on February 23, 2016, 04:58:23 PM

Tip them with squid and just let the fish hang themselves. Easiest possible way to catch rockfish regardless of the age of the angler  ;).

I will be giving this a try for my grand daughter and myself this summer.  Thanks for the info from all.

AlasKen

Quote from: foakes on February 23, 2016, 05:37:22 PM
My vote would go to the 209, Ken --

It would handle something larger, in case of an incidental hook-up. 

But the LW would keep her happy and on the water -- less frustrations for all involved.

Not too big -- not too small.

If you get stuck on parts -- and decide to go the 209 -- just let me know, and I will donate some to the cause.

Just need a list from you.

Best,

Fred

Thanks Fred.  I think I will go with the 209's as well.  They look more like what everyone else is using which is a plus with the young ones.  I have about 4 sitting around as that is what I started using for salmon trolling with downriggers.  I have replaced the drags with greased CF.  Anything else you can think of that I should do other than typical servicing.  When I service my boat rods I grease the bearings as we don't cast so fast bearings aren't as important as longevity.  Is there a larger handle option like Alan's handles?  I have several of them for my Charter Specials.  A larger handle to hold on to might assist with her cranking power.  Thanks for the offer on parts but right now I think I am good.  Ken

steelfish

Quote from: johndtuttle on February 23, 2016, 04:58:23 PM

great tip John

I know your kid is 5yo but mine was 15yo on her first saltwater fishing trip with me and I gave her the 320gti with 200yd of braid line and some 100yds of 40lb mono on top.

while me and my friends were casting irons to the yellowtails I put 2 circle hooks (no shirmp, tho) and squid to catch some rock fish and keep her busy, well she ended up catching the biggest YT of the day on the same rig.

the 209 is a nice option, really light, simple and strong, if you have an abu 5500 or 6500 clean them and take them with you and her as back up, they seem more kid-friendly for a kid this young.

The Baja Guy