Old Fly reel

Started by AlasKen, July 02, 2015, 12:36:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlasKen

When I was growing up my grandparents had a cabin the Northern New Mexico mountains.  The family story is my grandfather had a gas station and mechanics garage in Eastern NM farm country and one day he had it dealing with the public and literally hung a saying Closed, Gone fishing, don't know when I will return.  He went to this mountain village, bought a lot and built a cabin.  It stayed in the family for over 50 years until it was sold.  He never fished that I know of except watching the grandkids when we went.  Anyway in his closet was this fly rod and reel.  When I asked to borrow it to go trout fishing he said that thing was old when I got it.  You need something better and we went to town and he bought me my own set up.  After he passed away I got this reel out of the closet and it has hung on my wall every since.  It has no marking on it that I can find.  It is a collapsible rod and a little fly reel.  It has no value to anyone else but to me it is priceless and I thought I would share.  My son has already laid claim to it when I no longer have the ability to display it. 

coastal_dan

Neat story, many of these old reels are 'priceless' in that matter.
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

Big Tim

No clue on the rod , but my guess is a Pflueger Medalist or Progress  ? Not sure the size but I would fish that reel today. Great story my man..You sure there is no markings, not even on the reel foot ?

Big Tim

Penn Chronology

It looks like a Pflueger Medalist or Progress; but, it is not. This is tough ID. Major makers would have marked the reel. First step in finding the maker could be a search of all the vintage fly reels on EBay. Compare the hole pattern of your reel to what you see on EBay. I did a quick scan of three or four hundred reels and only discovered what it is not.

Having a piece of personal family history like that fly rig is very special. Being that you can attach a great story about its history to your own grandfather makes it most valuable to you.

Good Luck with the search.

MFB

Hi Ken,

Nice story,it looks like it could be an Olympic, I have 2 of these reels I inherited from a family friend.

Regards

Mark 
No man can lose what he never had.
                                                   Isaac Walton

AlasKen

Tim, no fair.  Here I was, sitting on my deck relaxing and enjoying a little shot of teliqua and fruit while reading about other exotic Penns reels that I need to acquire when you ask a pertinent question.  I didn't even think to look at the reel foot.  I am going to have to head down to the basement and pull this off the wall and take a look.  I will report back.  Thanks for the hint.  Did I mention I really like this site and the people willing to help.  Ken

Quote from: Big Tim on July 02, 2015, 11:49:05 PM
No clue on the rod , but my guess is a Pflueger Medalist or Progress  ? Not sure the size but I would fish that reel today. Great story my man..You sure there is no markings, not even on the reel foot ?

Big Tim

AlasKen

There was no markings on the reel foot as well.  It appears to be a simple and inexpensive reel.  There is a single screw holding the spool and the body is riveted together.  It appears to have been painted with a brown paint.  Thanks for looking.  Ken