Lubing rollers?

Started by PE Pete, July 07, 2015, 07:35:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PE Pete

Hi all, I have a few fully rollered game rods & am not sure of best practise to lube.
Would you use cals grease or similar or a lite oil??
Cheers Pete

Tiddlerbasher

Shark Hunter

Everyone will have their own opinion on this Pete. Some recommend Grease. I use Reel X oil. Just a drop after cleaning.
Life is Good!

Tightlines667

Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Shark Hunter

Aren't they the same thing John?
Life is Good!

Tightlines667

Quote from: Shark Hunter on July 07, 2015, 11:42:49 PM
Aren't they the same thing John?

Basically.  The reel X is a bit thinner, and doesn't last as long.  If you look at some of the corrosion logevity tests, the corrosion X well outperformers the reel X.  Reel X will spin a bearing betrer then corrosion X.  I used one bottle of Reel X (on bearings), then replaced it with corrosion X.  I use TSI 301 to lube spool bearings on nontrolling reels now. 
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

SoCalAngler

On all metal rollers I add a drop of TSI 321 on both side of the rollers and work it into the bearing/sleeve about once a year. On AFTCO's ALRG guides no oil is recommend by them and I have never lubed these guides for something like 7 years without any ill effect.

Dominick

Quote from: Shark Hunter on July 07, 2015, 09:06:28 PM
Everyone will have their own opinion on this Pete. Some recommend Grease. I use Reel X oil. Just a drop after cleaning.
Me too.   Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

PE Pete

Thank guys for the feedback.
I have put some cals grease on one rods roller & will put reel x on the othe two see how the feel.

jonnou

I would recommend the Ts321 as it bonds to the metal. I got some sent from the USA from Alan Tani. Lots of these products are hard to find in NZ. For normal after fishing maintenance  Inox. I am Unsure of the effects of ts321 on Nylon/Spectra. I remember that Okuma Nz may have the corrosion x available. I work the lube in with a bit of yarn wrapped around roller and spin back and forth.
Hope this helps

Tiddlerbasher

TSI321 has no effect on spectra or mono/fluoro. The manufacturers state it is safe with all plastics (it does come in a plastic bottle) :)

foakes

No credit to me on this one -- came directly from the American Fishing Tackle Company (AFTCO) website --

If a setup with braid has a roller that stops turning freely or is salt encrused, or somehow frozen up -- the braid will "saw cut" a groove in the roller under pressure -- thus ruining the roller and the line at the same time.

Non-maintenance gets expensive very quickly.

Best,

Fred

Roller Guide Maintenance Tips

To keep your rollers turning freely, always flush the entire guide (and tip-top) with fresh water each time you return to the dock. This will wash away the saltwater residue that can build up between the roller and frame, and is all the short-term maintenance required to assure that your roller guides will perform perfectly.

Do not attempt to lubricate AFTCO roller guides with spray lubricants, as these chemical solvents will actually gum up the rollers and ultimately hinder their performance. Instead, we recommend a waterproof grease - such as Penn's Blue International Lube - to be applied sparingly to the outsides of the bearings.

AFTCO recommends that every year or two your roller guides and tops should be disassembled, cleaned and lubricated. After removing the pins and screws (using a #2 standard screwdriver on each side of the guide or top), all parts, including the inside of the frame, should be wiped clean with paper towels using a mild solvent or thinner. Then, lubricate the outside of the bearing (black) with a small amount of waterproof grease (not oil) before pushing it back into the roller. Finally, center the pins and screws and thoroughly tighten with the screwdriver. Any roller that only rolls when screws are loose should be checked for damage or epoxy rod finish buildup inside the guide frame.
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

PE Pete

Thanks Jon,Chris, Fred for the feedback interesting to note that Aftco have a specific recommendation.
Jon think I might get hold of CD to get their input as two of the rods are Makaira/CD Tournament the other is a Penn.
Cheers Pete

jonnou

I have foubd the Compisite Developments team very helpful.  There is a blog from Alan Tani on their website also

PE Pete

Quote from: jonnou on July 09, 2015, 08:23:14 AM
I have foubd the Compisite Developments team very helpful.  There is a blog from Alan Tani on their website also

Choice thank Jon