New Stainless ARB performance, durability?

Started by Craigen, July 08, 2015, 09:40:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Craigen

With the change to the new ARB and shields, has Accurate solved most of the former problems with this part?  Have there been any problems reported with this new part since its introduction?  Is this a genuine improvement?  I've had my reels upgraded so I don't expect them to go knuckle-buster on an upcoming eight day trip.  And no, I won't be fishing for cows with them.  Cheers...

Bryan Young

The addition of the anti-reverse pawls on the bigger reels has solved the problem, but on the smaller reels with only the ARB, the same situation exists.  I believe that people are getting smarter and not using enormous amounts of drag with these reels but within the appropriate ranges so the handle does not go knuckle buster.  And, I truly believe that people are taking better care of their reels now knowing that the reel can go knuckle buster if you allow the bearing to get rusted due to lack of care.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Craigen

Thanks Bryan.  Do you think adding a drop of Reel-X via the "Accuport" feature offers any rust protection to the ARB?  I know it's not a substitute for a regular cleaning and taking the reel apart.  The ARB should be greased and Reel-X would thin out that protection IF it truly can travel to the ARB from the Accuport. 
Perhaps Accurate can come up with another version of the ARB.  How about a rust-proof titanium ARB?

day0ne

Quote from: Craigen on July 09, 2015, 05:13:10 AM
The ARB should be greased and Reel-X would thin out that protection IF it truly can travel to the ARB from the Accuport. 

Accurate doesn't recommend grease on the ARB. They use Corrosion X.
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

Tiddlerbasher

Corrosion x or Reel x for the salt - dry for fresh water

Craigen

Good to know.  I watched an Accurate video on ARB maintenance and he did oil it but said there was grease in it. That confused me.  Thanks for setting me straight.  What harm happens to a greased rather than oiled ARB?  Cheers...

Tiddlerbasher

It would probably slip! Not exactly what you want.

Craigen

"Aly said I should flush the AR bearings liberally with Reel-X.  Then work the Reel-X in by turning the gear shaft and flushing again with more Reel-X.  After the AR bearings are flushed out, she said I should put in a small amount of Cal's grease and work it around.  This would effectively mix the grease with the residual Reel-X to give me a light grease coating."
This previous post by Mr. Greenjeans also had me confused.  But I will not grease it.

Bryan Young

I just use CorrosionX and TSI321.  Thin grease will also be fine as long as it doesn't gum up the bearings, you'll be good.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D