ever snap a screw off in reel frame?

Started by snowdog, July 14, 2015, 02:35:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

exp2000

Quote from: Bryan Young on July 14, 2015, 02:10:09 PM
Quote from: Tightlines666 on July 14, 2015, 05:43:50 AM
You might also try putting 2 thin nuts on the exposed portion of the thread so you can get a box wrench on the screw.
If one nut doesn't work, two nuts are better than one.   ;D

Heat and cold is a good way to break free frozen screws.  I cool down with lubricant, like TSI, WD40, CorrosionX...While the metal expands, it will often break part of the corrosion between pieces and will get filled with lubricant.  I do this 4 or 5 times before even attempting to apply pressure to the screw.  Vice grips, pliers, 2 nut method (metric in this case) are good methods, but I like vice grips because:

I heat us the base and screw at once, then I use compressed air to cool the screw down quickly and grab the screw with vice grips and twist.  I don't like the nuts method because the nuts add thermal mass and will be harder to cool down faster than the aluminum base.

Good luck.

I cut a slot in the stump with a Dremel and use the same procedure with Inox and a screw driver.
Can take some finesse but usually works.

Ultrasonics are also excellent for unseizing frozen parts.

Daiwa spinners have fine star head screws around the forward pinion bearing plate that are easily stripped. I once had to saw through the casing to sever the stripped screw head but it saved the reel.

Doug

A good presoak for a few days in Marvel Mystery  oil works well along with heating.

Keta

Quote from: Doug on July 14, 2015, 03:34:56 PM
A good presoak for a few days in Marvel Mystery  oil works well along with heating.

That or Kroil both work well.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Reel 224

Quote from: Doug on July 14, 2015, 03:34:56 PM

That is a old age product Doug. What part of NJ do you hail from?
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Doug

I just used the old Marvel Mystery oil on a seized outboard motor with great success . I live up in the North West corner of NJ on Lake Hopatcong I can fish everyday in my backyard but really like salt water best

Reel 224

Quote from: Doug on July 14, 2015, 04:45:29 PM
I just used the old Marvel Mystery oil on a seized outboard motor with great success . I live up in the North West corner of NJ on Lake Hopatcong I can fish everyday in my backyard but really like salt water best

Doug I live in Monmouth County Between Lakewood and Freehold about 15minutes from the Manasquan Inlet. Ive used Marvel Mystery oil for hundreds of mechanical things But one use I found best was on my air tools and added to the gas in my old tractors. Any idea on how long it been around? 
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Bryan Young

Quote from: Reel 224 on July 14, 2015, 06:28:45 PM
Quote from: Doug on July 14, 2015, 04:45:29 PM
Ive used Marvel Mystery oil for hundreds of mechanical things But one use I found best was on my air tools and added to the gas in my old tractors. Any idea on how long it been around? 
That's a mystery....lol  I just couldn't resist.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

snowdog

after a night of soaking in "break free" I tried heating screw threads and backing out with vise grips.  Boogered up the threads but it didn't budge so I can't try the "two nuts" trick. 

I had to walk away because I felt the profanity starting to rise to my mouth!  Next I will try putting the stand in a vise and heating the frame just below the threads then cooling with lube. 

ANy ideas where to get replacement screws (and maybe a new stand if this one cracks  :o) for this reel? 

I should be fishing for Butts with this reel not screwing around  ;D

foakes

Since it appears to be really "welded" in the screw hole --

I would go ahead and cut it flush --

Carefully grind it smooth -- being careful with the frame --

Then you will need a drill press, and wood-jaw faced drill press vise --

Drill a tiny pilot indentation in the middle of the screw --

Use a larger proper size drill bit to drill out the screw --

Tap new threads in the hole -- carefully, so as not to expand the thin frame material or blow out the side --

Should do it --

If this doesn't work -- try it without the screw -- and all others snugged up tight -- should work...

Then go fishing!

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

RowdyW

After the heating & cooling try hitting it with a hammer. just a couple of firm whacks not heavy pounding. When you grab it with vise grips try to tighten a little then try backing it off. Repeat this even if it comes loose while backing off the screw.    RUDY

foakes

One thing that worked for me a few years ago in a similar situation --

Got my 1/2" variable speed keyed chuck hammer drill -- took it off hammer, lowered the gear selector to the lowest gear setting clamped the screw in the chuck as tight as possible -- then just eased it out at low speed.

Came right out -- and this seems like a similar deal.

I think a drill press might work for this also -- maybe better.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

handi2

I had to remove a corroded pinion gear off the spool shaft today (again) and I use the micro torch, get it hot, and drip TSI 301. Came right off..!
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

snowdog

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.  Got the screw out this afternoon!  Having it mounted in the vice was really helpful.  I heated the frame instead of the screw threads and after several rounds of heating then cooling with lube I clamped the vise grips on and after a slight struggle the screw backed out clean! 

Now I just need to find replacement frame screws.

I'll keep that idea of clamping the stud in the jaws of a clutched drill in mind in case this happens again.  Sounds like it could work well.

Now to clean this reel up and get back to fishing.

Keta

Grease the screws when reassembling.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

snowdog

indeed I will grease and lube everything.  just a disclaimer here...i got the reel in this condition.  In fact, this is one out of a box of reels I bought for $50 and I'm going thru them one at a time and fixing them up.  I really look forward to chasing Halibut with this Diawa.