argo sportfishing report 7/15/2015

Started by alantani, July 16, 2015, 06:01:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

argo sportfishing report 7/15/2015

we fished this morning out of san francisco on the argo, berthed behind alioto's restaurant at san francisco.  the trip was originally scheduled for yesterday, but the weather report was calling for 15-20 knot winds so we moved the trip to today.  rick was supposed to join us but couldn't make it, and joey was supposed to be our deckhand, but had to work today.  my friend tim drove up from fresno and stayed overnight.  one scotch each, honest!  and i still overslept! by some miracle we made it to boat on time.  

if you are fishing on one of the san francisco boats, the anchorage parking lot has a $10 early bird special.  not sure about this sign, but when i pulled the car out, the guy only charged me $10.

i dropped off the guys at the dock, parked the care and then walked two blocks from the garage to the boat.  it's the city, and it's pretty tough for some people.  

there are lot's of restaurants on the waterfront.  castagnola's is very famous.  

many of the fishing boats are tied up right next door.

alioto's and tarantino's are also quite famous!

to get to the boat, you round this corner.

then walk through this door.

at the end of the hallway and to the right is the argo!

and of course, i'm the last guy to show up.  

meet our skipper, craig hanson!

enjoy a few shots of the san francisco bay!

meet bryan young.  

dominick libonati!

tim liddle!

steve williams!

today we'll be trolling for salmon using cable baiters.  this is what the bait looks like.

here is steve's hotrodded jigmaster.

i'm using a penn 320gt2.

here is the skipper's 2/0 senator.

we ended up with three nice stripers.  here is steve on the last one.  watch his hat at the end of the clip.  

welcome back to the city!

our catch for day!

that's it, guys!  3 stripers and one salmon for the 5 of us.  pretty rough weather, great skipper.  catch up with craig at his website, http://argosportfishing.com/ and on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/ArgoSportFishing?fref=ts

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Big Tim

Memorable. Trip for sure , and Alan has more video ... Home safe and have a few pics. To post as well ... I would take Alan as  my wing man anytime.   :D

Shark Hunter

Great trip fellas! ;D
Looks like a fun time. Dominick is stylin' with that Water Bottle Necklace. ;)
Life is Good!

Reel 224

Nice trip, looks like Bryan had top hook. Congrats
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Gman_WC

Thanks for sharing. Sorry you had bad weather.
Are those 3/0 sized handles on all of the reels?

-g
Walnut Creek, CA

Bryan Young

Quote from: Gman_WC on July 16, 2015, 02:52:20 PMAre those 3/0 sized handles on all of the reels?
all 3/0 handle except for the 320GT2s.  They were 5/0 handles. Alan's go big or go home applies for his reels too. :D
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

swill88

Thanks Alan. What a great day on the water!

There's was a lot more action than the 4 we brought back. We released 4 silvers and a shaker Chinook.  We landed every hookup except one small guy that didn't even pull the sinker release. All barbless hooks.

The ocean was a bit of a washing machine and it helped that the Argo is the heaviest wide beamed 6pack out there. Captain Craig did a great job of getting us to work as a team. He knows fishing and shares what he knows.

There was a lot of hit and run bait stealers and deckhand Alan kept our baits fresh checking every 5 minutes. DH Alan landed all the catch flawlessly and was seen scrubbing the deck on the ride home. Great job!

Bryan did win the jackpot but we forgot to collect.

Dominick

I was sick as a dog on this trip.  I used the patch and I expect that the patch was defective.  I did not feel the usual dry mouth from using the patch.  That should have been the first sign that there was something wrong.  I could barely move without nausea.  Parts of the trip was fun.  Some of it was agony.  Here are a few photos I took.  Dominick

And...last but not least the headless fisherman.  Sorry Tim
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Reel 224

So I guess you were in charge of chumming the fish hey, Dominick ;D Well ya still managed to catch one stripe Bass.
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

steelfish

nice trip, but Im with Dominick, I hate windy days on a boat
The Baja Guy

Alto Mare

Very nice gentlemen! Dominick, you were sick as a dog because that damn bottle you had wrapped around your neck was blocking oxygen to your brain. ::)
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Dominick

On a serious note I decided to carry the bottle on strap as it seems that there will be a fish on and nowhere to put the bottle.  Having the strap works really well.  On a funny note it does look silly.   ;D Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

steelfish

Quote from: Bryan Young on July 16, 2015, 03:41:50 PM
Quote from: Gman_WC on July 16, 2015, 02:52:20 PMAre those 3/0 sized handles on all of the reels?
all 3/0 handle except for the 320GT2s.  They were 5/0 handles. Alan's go big or go home applies for his reels too. :D

thats not fair.. its pure brain wash, now I want a 5/0 handle for my 320gti looks pretty good
The Baja Guy

Bryan Young

Quote from: Reel 224 on July 16, 2015, 12:05:49 PMNice trip, looks like Bryan had top hook. Congrats
:D 

Thanks.  I wouldn't have had that fish if it wasn't for Skipper Craig Hanson for excellent boat positioning, our Deckie Alan Tani netting that beast, and the fact that Alan wasn't fishing all contributed to the prize size fish.  I know Alan, and if you are fishing with him, he will consistently pull the largest fish out of the ocean right before weigh in.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Bryan Young

Quote from: Reel 224 on July 16, 2015, 06:19:44 PM
So I guess you were in charge of chumming the fish hey, Dominick ;D Well ya still managed to catch one stripe Bass.
I was in charge of chumming yesterday.  Dominick look green but I was the fountain.  lol